Re: [z_scale] Re: Mallets - one more time again and again

  • Jay & Anne Greer
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 2, 2000
      Hi Bill,
      If my memory serves me correctly, the "Mallet" locomotives were first
      conceived by a German or Swiss engineer named Anitole Mallet for the purpose
      of negotiating tight turns on narrow gauge Alpine lines in Germany and
      Switzerland. His name, incidentally is pronounced "Maalae". I do not know if
      he was responsible for the invention of multi-expansion engines or not but I
      do know that Nathaniel Green Herreshoff of the Herreshoff Manufacturing Co.
      in Bristol Road Island USA built many successful steam boats using double
      and triple expansion engines shortly before and after the turn of the
      century as I am, at present involved in the restoration of one of his steam
      launches that was built in 1902.
      Sincerely,
      Jay Greer/Der Wegmann

      > From: bjkronen@...
      > Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 20:24:07 EST
      > To: z_scale@egroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [z_scale] Re: Mallets - one more time again
      >
      > Dieter:
      >
      >> has somebody ever tried to find out what 'Mallets' really means?
      >> I think, that there are different opinions on the meaning of 'Mallet'
      >> at both sides of the pond, are they?
      >
      > Perhaps. But I think both the left side and the right side of the big pond
      > would agree that "Mallet" locomotives uniquely use the steam twice (see
      > previous excellent post on this topic) in two different sized cylinders.
      > The smaller high pressure cylinder gets the high pressure steam directly from
      > the boiler, and when exhausted it goes to massive (in size) low pressure
      > cylinders (normally found on the front set of turnable drivers).
      >
      > "Articulated" over here is commonly associated with a locomotive which feeds
      > high pressure steam to ALL cylinders on the locomotive, no matter where they
      > are, or how many there may be, or even which driver/cylinders can rotate
      > relative to the boiler.
      >
      > Holiday Greetings,
      > Bill Kronenberger
      > Houston

    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 6, 2000
        Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... wrote:

        > 'Amtrak Acela', is this a real new development? My information on Amerikan locos
        > ends with 1998, sorry. So, any info?

        Yes this is an actual loco. Can be seen at
        http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/amtrak/

        --
        Manfred