Re: [z_scale] Re: Modern era

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2004
      Hello Malcolm, Lajos and Bill K.

      Again, these problems with cost vs. volume have reared
      up on the board. Malcolm has a good point in demanding
      better contemporary railroad equipment and I believe that if we
      we are patient, we will see Z products that fill these needed
      billings. FR (Harald Fredenreich) has been doing a great
      job of filling some of these needs. Micro-Structures (Chris Miller)
      offered some of the first two bay hoppers as well.

      But there are so many epochs and railroad cars to cover.
      I believe PennZee, Marklin and especially Micro-Trains Line
      have been doing their best to provide a small market with
      various and fun products in Z scale at a reasonable price.
      Modeling scale replicas of real world items sometimes requires
      all the adventure of research, design and accomplishment
      we find in puttering around in our own workshops.

      "Off the shelf" finished items will always be the most cautiously
      considered by any manufacturer. I find it encouraging that
      recently there has be very little "duplication of effort" between
      these manufacturers, so each one will be offering products that
      are unique and will help widen our roster of railroad cars and
      ancillary equipment. But It requires staff and
      machinery, research and marketing to put those little items
      on the shelf. Eventually we will see some great new
      stuff pop up. Hang in there. Great Z scale stuff is being