eBay !

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
      If you know what you want, and you are determined to be the winning
      bidder, you have to have several things.

      #1 - Have a super fast connection to the internet cause seconds DO
      count.
      #2 - Be able to watch the auction till the last minute. Keep track
      of it periodically.
      #3 - An accurate timer, preferably digital or a stop watch will do.
      #4 - Wait to place your ONLY bid 8 to 15 seconds before the bidding
      closes. That leaves you a few split seconds to out bid someone
      should you not bid high enough, but you have to be extremely quick!
      #5 - Be willing to make outrageous last minute bids to win, and lick
      your wounds afterwards.

      To all of you "Z" scalers out there that I have stolen auctions from
      at the last minute, suck it up and drive on!!! There's more where
      that came from!!!

      Tim
    • themohican2003
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
        > If you know what you want, and you are determined to be the winning
        > bidder, you have to have several things.
        >
        > #1 - Have a super fast connection to the internet cause seconds DO
        > count.
        > #2 - Be able to watch the auction till the last minute. Keep track
        > of it periodically.
        > #3 - An accurate timer, preferably digital or a stop watch will do.
        > #4 - Wait to place your ONLY bid 8 to 15 seconds before the bidding
        > closes. That leaves you a few split seconds to out bid someone
        > should you not bid high enough, but you have to be extremely quick!
        > #5 - Be willing to make outrageous last minute bids to win, and
        lick
        > your wounds afterwards.
        >
        > To all of you "Z" scalers out there that I have stolen auctions
        from
        > at the last minute, suck it up and drive on!!! There's more where
        > that came from!!!
        >
        > Tim
        Guys and Gals you don't have to do any of that stuff!!! First of all
        anyone else serious about bidding speed will probably be using
        http://www.bidnapper.com to snap up any must have items. This service
        will bid up to your maximum at the last second before sale closing
        and at usually a few cents above the last highest bid.
        The service has many options for use, you can have a trial use period
        for free, then there are several payment options for additional
        service.
        Allan Borg
        SuZee Line Models
      • Glen Chenier
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "themohican2003"
          <themohican2003@y...> wrote:
          > anyone else serious about bidding speed will probably be using
          > http://www.bidnapper.com to snap up any must have items. This
          service
          > will bid up to your maximum at the last second before sale closing
          > and at usually a few cents above the last highest bid.

          This is a bit OT unless one concedes that E--y is a viable
          alternative for those ZedHeds (and ZeeBees) that do not have the
          luxury of a nearby LHS that stocks Z scale.

          Please bear with with me as i play the Devil's Advocate. Also please
          excuse my unfamiliarity with computerized online trading as i pose a
          hypothetical question. (Yeah, i know, 'PCs for Dummies' was written
          just for oldpharts like me)

          What happens if a great many bidders (lets say 1000 of them) all
          running this 'bidnapper' all hit together on the same item in the
          last few seconds remaining? Who wins? Or even worse, when ALL
          online bidders run 'bidnapper'. Isn't the field thus levelled again?

          Maybe the computer experts on this list can shed some light. As a
          tool a computer is wonderful, but I do not believe it is wise to let
          a computer do your real thinking for you.
        • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
            >What happens if a great many bidders (lets say 1000 of them) all
            >running this 'bidnapper' all hit together on the same item in the
            >last few seconds remaining?

            They all put in a bid up to the bandwidth limit of eBay - which is
            monstrous.

            >Who wins?

            The one with the highest bid

            >Or even worse, when ALL online bidders run 'bidnapper'. Isn't the field
            thus levelled again?

            Only leveled to the point of "willingness to part with money" - It all
            comes down to the HIGHEST bid that made it in.
          • Wilson Pineiro
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
              Hello To Zall,

              If you are a serious bidder,you won't need to "watch" your
              auctions!Just bid high enough(or your pockect allows) and the cut-
              throats can't get you! They NEVER got me yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              Willy,NYC-The Bronx

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
              > If you know what you want, and you are determined to be the winning
              > bidder, you have to have several things.
              >
              > #1 - Have a super fast connection to the internet cause seconds DO
              > count.
              > #2 - Be able to watch the auction till the last minute. Keep track
              > of it periodically.
              > #3 - An accurate timer, preferably digital or a stop watch will do.
              > #4 - Wait to place your ONLY bid 8 to 15 seconds before the bidding
              > closes. That leaves you a few split seconds to out bid someone
              > should you not bid high enough, but you have to be extremely quick!
              > #5 - Be willing to make outrageous last minute bids to win, and
              lick
              > your wounds afterwards.
              >
              > To all of you "Z" scalers out there that I have stolen auctions
              from
              > at the last minute, suck it up and drive on!!! There's more where
              > that came from!!!
              >
              > Tim
            • sgt_tim7
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
                This is the reason you watch the auction and don't make the price go
                up. Wait till the last minute to out bid anyone bidding or who has
                already bid. Why jack the price for an item way up before the
                auction comes to a close. Patients!

                Tim

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson Pineiro" <willypinhead@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hello To Zall,
                >
                > If you are a serious bidder,you won't need to "watch" your
                > auctions!Just bid high enough(or your pockect allows) and the cut-
                > throats can't get you! They NEVER got me yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                >
                > Willy,NYC-The Bronx
              • Bob Byrne
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 29, 2004
                  Hello sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> you wrote:

                  > This is the reason you watch the auction and don't make the price go
                  > up. Wait till the last minute to out bid anyone bidding or who has
                  > already bid. Why jack the price for an item way up before the
                  > auction comes to a close. Patients!
                  >
                  > Tim

                  Why not just use proxy bidding, which last time I looked was the default.
                  I decide on the maximum I'm prepared to pay for an item (if I bid any more
                  I'm an idiot) and place the bid as my maximum limit. When someone outbids
                  me eBay outbids them by the minimum amount possible until I either win or I
                  reach my limit.

                  --
                  Regards, Bob
                • Peter Ibbotson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 29, 2004
                    > > This is the reason you watch the auction and don't make the price go
                    > > up. Wait till the last minute to out bid anyone bidding or who has
                    > > already bid. Why jack the price for an item way up before the
                    > > auction comes to a close. Patients!
                    > >
                    > > Tim
                    >
                    > Why not just use proxy bidding, which last time I looked was the default.
                    > I decide on the maximum I'm prepared to pay for an item (if I bid any more
                    > I'm an idiot) and place the bid as my maximum limit. When someone outbids
                    > me eBay outbids them by the minimum amount possible until I either win or
                    > reach my limit.

                    One problem with Proxy bidding is that another bidder will bid up the cost
                    by small increments until it hits their personal limit, if you've bid higher
                    then it just ends up costing more. I've seen this a few times and it's
                    irritating (you can also potentially get stuffed by a shill bidding).
                    If I don't care too much about an item (say I'm buying for spares or because
                    it's cheap) then I'll put in a proxy bid, otherwise I'll bid late with my
                    maximum and see what happens.

                    --
                    Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                    Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 29, 2004
                      I doubt if there is anyway you can prove this to be true. I think if someone
                      is really interested in an item they are going to bid up close to their
                      limit either way. Dale
                      > This is the reason you watch the auction and don't make the price go
                      > up. Wait till the last minute to out bid anyone bidding or who has
                      > already bid. Why jack the price for an item way up before the
                      > auction comes to a close. Patients!
                      >
                      > Tim
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson Pineiro" <willypinhead@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Hello To Zall,
                      > >
                      > > If you are a serious bidder,you won't need to "watch" your
                      > > auctions!Just bid high enough(or your pockect allows) and the cut-
                      > > throats can't get you! They NEVER got me yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      > >
                      > > Willy,NYC-The Bronx

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Bob Byrne
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 29, 2004
                        Hello Peter Ibbotson <yahoo@...> you wrote:

                        > One problem with Proxy bidding is that another bidder will bid up the cost
                        > by small increments until it hits their personal limit, if you've bid higher
                        > then it just ends up costing more. .......

                        Sorry, I don't see your point. Whether it's a proxy or outright bid the results
                        are the same, the price goes up, even if only in small increments.
                        My point is you don't have to be present at the conclusion of the auction if
                        you commit to a maximum bid and stick with it.

                        --
                        Regards, Bob
                      • Peter Ibbotson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                          > > One problem with Proxy bidding is that another bidder will bid up the
                          cost
                          > > by small increments until it hits their personal limit, if you've bid
                          higher
                          > > then it just ends up costing more. .......
                          >
                          > Sorry, I don't see your point. Whether it's a proxy or outright bid the
                          results
                          > are the same, the price goes up, even if only in small increments.
                          > My point is you don't have to be present at the conclusion of the auction
                          if
                          > you commit to a maximum bid and stick with it.

                          The way I have been "burnt" by this is as follows, if I bid $21 early and
                          the price is $10. Some idiot comes along and bids the price up in $2
                          increments until they either pass my bid or decide it's too expensive. So
                          the possible situations are:
                          a) They are happy to bid to $22, so therefore I'm relatively happy
                          b) They stop at $20 and I'm paying more than I would be otherwise
                          If I bid after them then what will happen is that they'll bid the $2 taking
                          the price up to $12 and stop since they're now the highest bidder.
                          I do wonder if this down to some auction software as I've seen it a few
                          times.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                            Gentleman, gentleman!!! If you have the means to access the web,
                            when the auction, of an Item you just can't do without, is ending,
                            what is the point bidding on it several days let alone several hours
                            before the bidding ends? That just drives the price up early in the
                            ball game. Then the next Joe comes along trying to take it from you
                            making the price go up even more. Then, when the auction is near
                            ending, the price of the "have to have" item is a bit costly.
                            Whether you win the bid or someone else, it will be pretty darn
                            high.
                            Let the in-experienced eBay'rs bid a few bucks on the item.
                            Place it one your "Watch this Auction." Periodically go check out
                            the price. On the last day you have to calculate when the auction
                            will be over. Let the Joe who has the highest bid feel confident
                            that his bid will win. Don't provoke him into raising the bid to
                            beat you. Only DRIVES THE PRICE UP! Wait till the last 8 - 15
                            seconds to place your ultimate bid. Think of the most you would be
                            willing to pay. Remember, you only have one shot at it. If you
                            have a super fast internet connection, you can possibly place a
                            second bid if the first was not enough. You have to be quick!
                            Beware though, someone else might "have to have" that item also!
                            (example, I lost a last minute auction fight for a "Z" GATX tank car
                            to an eBayer at $43.51. I hate to lose, but I am glad I did that
                            time. Anyways, happy eBaying!
                            Tim
                          • David Barnblatt
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                              The point, it seems, by bidding at the last minute is that it does not allow
                              your opponent(s) the chance to drive the price up. They can't bid against
                              you because the auction has ended.

                              David

                              On 4/29/04 11:34 PM, "Bob Byrne" <bbyrne@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Peter Ibbotson <yahoo@...> you wrote:
                              >
                              >> One problem with Proxy bidding is that another bidder will bid up the cost
                              >> by small increments until it hits their personal limit, if you've bid higher
                              >> then it just ends up costing more. .......
                              >
                              > Sorry, I don't see your point. Whether it's a proxy or outright bid the
                              > results
                              > are the same, the price goes up, even if only in small increments.
                              > My point is you don't have to be present at the conclusion of the auction if
                              > you commit to a maximum bid and stick with it.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Regards, Bob

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Tom Fisher
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                                I tend to agree with much of what you say, but I have
                                missed bidding because I've been too busy to bid at
                                the last moment, or I've forgotten to bid because I'm
                                too busy or just forgetful, or I'm not going to be
                                able to get online when the bidding ends.

                                Otherwise, I agree that it's best to wait till the
                                end.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                                  Tell us more about your modern cars! Please!

                                  --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:
                                  > I have plenty of tank cars thank you. Matter of a
                                  > fact, I am
                                  > working on several modern high capacity tank cars.
                                  > Do you have any
                                  > of them? ;-) Tim
                                  >

                                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han"
                                  > <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
                                  > > Hey, Tim,
                                  > >
                                  > > I'll sell you a GATX tank car, if you really want
                                  > one. What was
                                  > your
                                  > > higest bid? ;-)
                                  > >
                                  > > Contact me off line.
                                  > >
                                  > > Jeffrey jmac_han @ yahoo.com
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7"
                                  > <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
                                  > > > (example, I lost a last minute auction fight for
                                  > a "Z" GATX tank
                                  > > car
                                  > > > to an eBayer at $43.51.
                                  > > > Tim

                                • Bob Byrne
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                                    Hello David Barnblatt <DBarnblatt@...> you wrote:

                                    > The point, it seems, by bidding at the last minute is that it does not allow
                                    > your opponent(s) the chance to drive the price up. They can't bid against
                                    > you because the auction has ended.
                                    >
                                    > David

                                    And of course that can work against you if they beat you.
                                    In fact if they proxy bid as I do they can't be beaten no matter what you
                                    do as nothing is faster than the internal eBay program doing the bidding
                                    for you.
                                    I use eBay often and always proxy bid and have never been disappointed
                                    with the result either way. If I get outbid its' too expensive, if not I win at
                                    the price I'm prepared to pay.

                                    --
                                    Regards, Bob
                                  • Ellen
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Byrne" <bbyrne@e...> wrote:
                                      > Hello David Barnblatt <DBarnblatt@u...> you wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > The point, it seems, by bidding at the last minute is that it
                                      does not allow
                                      > > your opponent(s) the chance to drive the price up. They can't
                                      bid against
                                      > > you because the auction has ended.
                                      > >
                                      > > David
                                      >
                                      > And of course that can work against you if they beat you.
                                      > In fact if they proxy bid as I do they can't be beaten no matter
                                      what you
                                      > do as nothing is faster than the internal eBay program doing the
                                      bidding
                                      > for you.
                                      > I use eBay often and always proxy bid and have never been
                                      disappointed
                                      > with the result either way. If I get outbid its' too expensive, if
                                      not I win at
                                      > the price I'm prepared to pay.
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Regards, Bob

                                      I have used eBay for several years--for various collections--I have
                                      found that using esnipe.com is the solution. It bids in the last few
                                      seconds--so noone knows what your top bid is. Also it prevents
                                      others from knowing of your interest. When my husband bids on a
                                      pocket watch--his interest tells others it is likely a good one to
                                      get--and is really rare. By bidding at the last minute with esnipe
                                      it keeps them from knowing of his interest. That was i don't need to
                                      be there at the end--and also keeps me from getting excited as in a
                                      live auction and going beyond what I really want to pay. esnipe
                                      charges a small fee--if you win--but worth it to me.

                                      Ellen
                                      Indianapolis
                                    • DaleHalterman
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                                        I still do not buy your line of thinking, but if you like the hassle to each
                                        his own. Dale
                                        > > > One problem with Proxy bidding is that another bidder will bid up the
                                        > cost
                                        > > > by small increments until it hits their personal limit, if you've bid
                                        > higher
                                        > > > then it just ends up costing more. .......
                                        > >
                                        > > Sorry, I don't see your point. Whether it's a proxy or outright bid the
                                        > results
                                        > > are the same, the price goes up, even if only in small increments.
                                        > > My point is you don't have to be present at the conclusion of the
                                        auction
                                        > if
                                        > > you commit to a maximum bid and stick with it.
                                        > >

                                        > The way I have been "burnt" by this is as follows, if I bid $21 early and
                                        > the price is $10. Some idiot comes along and bids the price up in $2
                                        > increments until they either pass my bid or decide it's too expensive. So
                                        > the possible situations are:
                                        > a) They are happy to bid to $22, so therefore I'm relatively happy
                                        > b) They stop at $20 and I'm paying more than I would be otherwise
                                        > If I bid after them then what will happen is that they'll bid the $2
                                        taking
                                        > the price up to $12 and stop since they're now the highest bidder.
                                        > I do wonder if this down to some auction software as I've seen it a few
                                        > times.
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
                                        > Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • DaleHalterman
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                                          One thing I did not mention in my earlier post was that I wait until the
                                          last day to put in my proxy bid. Dale
                                          > Gentleman, gentleman!!! If you have the means to access the web,
                                          > when the auction, of an Item you just can't do without, is ending,
                                          > what is the point bidding on it several days let alone several hours
                                          > before the bidding ends? That just drives the price up early in the
                                          > ball game. Then the next Joe comes along trying to take it from you
                                          > making the price go up even more. Then, when the auction is near
                                          > ending, the price of the "have to have" item is a bit costly.
                                          > Whether you win the bid or someone else, it will be pretty darn
                                          > high.
                                          > Let the in-experienced eBay'rs bid a few bucks on the item.
                                          > Place it one your "Watch this Auction." Periodically go check out
                                          > the price. On the last day you have to calculate when the auction
                                          > will be over. Let the Joe who has the highest bid feel confident
                                          > that his bid will win. Don't provoke him into raising the bid to
                                          > beat you. Only DRIVES THE PRICE UP! Wait till the last 8 - 15
                                          > seconds to place your ultimate bid. Think of the most you would be
                                          > willing to pay. Remember, you only have one shot at it. If you
                                          > have a super fast internet connection, you can possibly place a
                                          > second bid if the first was not enough. You have to be quick!
                                          > Beware though, someone else might "have to have" that item also!
                                          > (example, I lost a last minute auction fight for a "Z" GATX tank car
                                          > to an eBayer at $43.51. I hate to lose, but I am glad I did that
                                          > time. Anyways, happy eBaying!
                                          > Tim

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Jim Glass
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 1, 2004
                                            Tim, you almost gave away all my Ebay secrets. Let's kill this thread and keep the good stuff to ourselves. I have never lost a bid I wanted, but I 'ain't' telling anyone how I do it. I don't use any programs to do it either.

                                            JimGl

                                            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

                                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com<mailto:z_scale@yahoogroups.com>, "Wilson Pineiro" <willypinhead@y...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > Hello To Zall,
                                            >
                                            > If you are a serious bidder,you won't need to "watch" your
                                            > auctions!Just bid high enough(or your pockect allows) and the cut-
                                            > throats can't get you! They NEVER got me yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                            >
                                            > Willy,NYC-The Bronx

                                          • Paula Luttenon
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 7, 2004
                                              I have never lost a bid I wanted, but I
                                              > 'ain't' telling anyone how I do it. I don't use any
                                              > programs to do it either.

                                              I cannot say I have never lost an auction I wanted. I
                                              did once buy and use a program, but it eventually
                                              proved unreliable. Now I just rely on sniping which
                                              is a dirty word in some circles, but all's fair in
                                              love, war, and auctions.

                                              I use Netscape and open two windows showing the same
                                              page--the item auction page. Then I decrease the size
                                              of both pages so they will fit side by side on my
                                              monitor screen--one which I set up all ready to go
                                              with a bid for the highest price which I think is
                                              reasonable and one showing the time.

                                              I click on reload on the page showing the time to
                                              monitor the countdown thereby not disturbing my bid
                                              set-up. When the time shows about 10 or 12 seconds
                                              remaining I click on the submit bid on the page I have
                                              set up with the bid ready to go. My bid is made so
                                              close to the end of the auction that there is usually
                                              not enough time for anyone to bid higher. Except for
                                              someone who is doing the same thing and is a willing
                                              to wait a split second longer than me to pull the
                                              trigger.

                                              Nothing too mysterious about it. Nor illegal. Nor
                                              unfair, as far as I am concerned. Bidding in auctions
                                              must always take into consideration the psychology of
                                              the bidder. If one bids early in the auction, it is
                                              likely to stimulate other people to bid higher. Maybe
                                              even higher than under normal circumstances, because
                                              reason seems to go out the window.

                                              Over the course of a few days prior to the end of the
                                              auction the price can go up to totally unreasonable
                                              heights, because people who want the item keep
                                              revising their top allowable bid amount. Like there
                                              is a little exchange going on between their reasonable
                                              self and their crazy gotta-have-it-at-all-cost self,
                                              and the crazy self almost ALWAYS wins. Which is why
                                              it is best to bid at the last minute. Or even better,
                                              at the last second.

                                              I want to add here that I don't think there are many
                                              bargains to be had on ebay any more. In fact, things
                                              often go higher than what they can be bought for from
                                              a retailer. I always check what the item is going for
                                              before I do any bidding.

                                              As far as I am concerned, the only benefit to buying
                                              on Ebay is that you can buy stuff that is NOT
                                              available at all from regular retailers--stuff that is
                                              out of production and not available anywhere at any
                                              price. Except from the poor soul who has decided to
                                              clean out a closet and finds a bunch of items the
                                              significant other "encourages" him/her to sell on
                                              ebay. Or when some one buys the inventory of a going
                                              out of business business that is going out of business
                                              because the proprietor for whatever reason allowed
                                              inventory too grow a beard.

                                              Also want to add that I still get stung (as my
                                              grandmother used to say) on ebay buys. As when I
                                              don't check the shipping and handling charge until
                                              after the auction and find that savings on price have
                                              been lost and then some by some yahbow that has socked
                                              it to me for handling.

                                              Sorry for this lengthy post, but thought it my duty to
                                              share with fellow Zedheads my experience with ebay
                                              buying. If it saves just one person from paying too
                                              much, it will have been worth it. We Zedheads gotta
                                              stick together, don't we?

                                              Paula