Just wondering!

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 27, 2004
      How many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad in the "NOW!"
      Modern!
    • harold grady
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 27, 2004
        Hi Sgt Tim and folks I model anywhere from 1960 to the present.
        Sgt. how are you coming along with those magnificent grain cars?
        Will I be able to take delivery of the 30 on the initial order?
        Thanks Harold Grady

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 27, 2004
          I am working on it! I'll let you know!

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, harold grady <butch60619@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Sgt Tim and folks I model anywhere from 1960 to the present.
          > Sgt. how are you coming along with those magnificent grain cars?
          > Will I be able to take delivery of the 30 on the initial order?
          > Thanks Harold Grady
          >
          > sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
          > How many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad in the "NOW!"
          > Modern!

        • Tom Fisher
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 27, 2004
            I am though I also have an F7 and most, if not all, of
            my MTL cars are "dated". Only my AZL Dash 9s, FR
            stackers, and Penzee hoppers are "NOW". FR's other
            "NOW" cars are not in roads that I want.

            I would not have the out of date cars if I had a
            reasonable alternative. Robert Ray's Center Beam and
            MTL's stackers are eagerly awaited by me.

            --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:
            > How many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad in
            > the "NOW!"
            > Modern!

          • Tom Fisher
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 27, 2004
              Modern USA grain hoppers at reasonable prices are also
              on my wish list as are modern USA tankers -- even more
              than center beam cars. It's not that I don't like CB
              cars, they just aren't as suitable for a Gulf Coast
              port layout. Grain, coal, and dry chemical hoppers
              and tank cars are.

              --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:
              > I am working on it! I'll let you know!
              >
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, harold grady
              > <butch60619@y...> wrote:
              > > Hi Sgt Tim and folks I model anywhere from 1960 to
              > the present.
              > > Sgt. how are you coming along with those
              > magnificent grain cars?
              > > Will I be able to take delivery of the 30 on the
              > initial order?
              > > Thanks Harold Grady
              > >
              > > sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@y...> wrote:
              > > How many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad
              > in the "NOW!"
              > > Modern!

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
                --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> a écrit : > How
                many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad in
                > the "NOW!"
                > Modern!

                My 2 projectZ (Tehachapi Pass and my small diorama
                showing eastern California desert) are dedicated to
                present era; indeed they are showing summer of 1997,
                just after ATSF/BN and SP/UP mergers, so as to have
                mixed roads motive power (UP,SP,D&RGW,C&NW,AT&SF,BN
                and a little BNSF) and not only UP and BNSF.

                This said, as I'm also a little bit a collector, and
                because when I started purchasing Z scale stuff in
                1997 nothing was available in the modern era, I also
                have a bunch of MTL F-units and vintage freight cars
                (40' boxcars, old tank cars and gondolas, etc..), and
                a SP GS4. As my two lines are mostly desert railroads
                with very few structures (among which no "dated"
                structures, for example Mc Donald's or Burger King),
                I'll be able to realisticaly change my era, leaving my
                Dashs, Geeps and SDs in the shop, and run my covered
                wagons, E, PA and steamer with vintage rolling stock
                (but also with corporate and railfan passenger
                consists the days when I'm in current era).

                But, although I will certainly rush on the next
                steamer AZL releases (unless if it is a light steamer
                like a Mogul or a Ten-Wheeler, or an odd design like a
                Camelback or sthg like this), the stuff of which I'm
                dreaming is modern rolling stock:
                -chemical and covered hoppers,
                -high capacity tank cars
                -covered tri-level autoracks,
                -articulated 3 or 5-platform Gunderson doublestack
                cars,
                -etc...

                Dominique

              • Tom Fisher
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
                  Are our layouts viewable on the Web?

                  --- de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>
                  wrote:
                  > --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> a �crit�: > How
                  > many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad in
                  > > the "NOW!"
                  > > Modern!
                  >
                  > My 2 projectZ (Tehachapi Pass and my small diorama
                  > showing eastern California desert) are dedicated to
                  > present era; indeed they are showing summer of 1997,
                  > just after ATSF/BN and SP/UP mergers, so as to have
                  > mixed roads motive power (UP,SP,D&RGW,C&NW,AT&SF,BN
                  > and a little BNSF) and not only UP and BNSF.
                  >
                  > This said, as I'm also a little bit a collector, and
                  > because when I started purchasing Z scale stuff in
                  > 1997 nothing was available in the modern era, I also
                  > have a bunch of MTL F-units and vintage freight cars
                  > (40' boxcars, old tank cars and gondolas, etc..),
                  > and
                  > a SP GS4. As my two lines are mostly desert
                  > railroads
                  > with very few structures (among which no "dated"
                  > structures, for example Mc Donald's or Burger King),
                  > I'll be able to realisticaly change my era, leaving
                  > my
                  > Dashs, Geeps and SDs in the shop, and run my covered
                  > wagons, E, PA and steamer with vintage rolling stock
                  > (but also with corporate and railfan passenger
                  > consists the days when I'm in current era).
                  >
                  > But, although I will certainly rush on the next
                  > steamer AZL releases (unless if it is a light
                  > steamer
                  > like a Mogul or a Ten-Wheeler, or an odd design like
                  > Camelback or sthg like this), the stuff of which I'm
                  >
                  > dreaming is modern rolling stock:
                  > -chemical and covered hoppers,
                  > -high capacity tank cars
                  > -covered tri-level autoracks,
                  > -articulated 3 or 5-platform Gunderson doublestack
                  > cars,
                  > -etc...
                  >
                  > Dominique
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Mail : votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui
                  > vous suit partout !
                  > Cr�ez votre Yahoo! Mail sur
                  > http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/
                  >
                  > Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis gr�ce � Yahoo!
                  > Messenger !T�l�chargez Yahoo! Messenger sur
                  > http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

                • Guido Kruschke
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
                    Just wondering? Why? Ohh, my favourite epoch is the german epoch III -
                    the time after WW II up to 1968. Especially from 1950 to 1960. I'd
                    like to copy the city line through Berlin (Stadtbahn) on my modules.
                  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
                      >How many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad in the "NOW!"
                      >Modern!

                      Not me. Steam/Diesel transition. Steam still the majority.
                    • Vincent Goudreault
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
                        Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:29:08 -0000
                        From: "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...>
                        Subject: Just wondering!

                        How many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad in the "NOW!"
                        Modern!

                        I am, at least I am trying. There is just so little suitable rolling stock
                        out there,
                        this it making it difficulet. No boxcar without walkway, no covered
                        hoppers,
                        no modern tank cars, etc.

                        At least we got the excellent AZL, the FR Huskies (soon to be augmented by
                        MT's own rendition of the same), plus the valliant efforts of the likes of
                        Robert Ray, so thinks are definitely getting better all the time for us
                        modernists.

                        Regs

                        CBVG
                      • jmac_han
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
                          Hi Vincent,

                          Micro-Trains Line does indeed make a boxcar without walkway. It is
                          the 50' Rib Side Boxcar (14200-2 series).

                          Cheers,
                          Jeffrey

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Goudreault <vgoudreault@v...>
                          wrote:
                          > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:29:08 -0000

                          No boxcar without walkway,
                        • Ralph Scott
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 28, 2004
                            I do also.
                            I find that If i can buy at least 1 Loco and the equivelent of 1 train in the latest paint schemes and models my railway stays modern. The only other thing is to keep the signal masts up to date, Buildings dont matter so much if your modelling European as as there are such a mixture in real life.
                            Ralph

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 29, 2004
                              --- Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> a écrit :

                              > Are our layouts viewable on the Web?

                              Unfortunately not. As I work slowly, slowly, I'm still
                              on the trackwork, and I have currently nothing
                              interresting to show. But when I have sufficient work
                              completed, I'll begin to deal with pictures.
                              Dominique

                            • de Champeaux Dominique
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 29, 2004
                                --- Vincent Goudreault <vgoudreault@...> a
                                > out there,
                                > No boxcar without
                                > walkway, no covered
                                > hoppers,
                                > no modern tank cars, etc.

                                Vincent, check MTL's roster: you'll see that there is
                                an available 50' boxcar WITHOUT roofwalk. This boxcar
                                has been released in several roadnames, the latest
                                beeing Burlington Northern one year ago (the problem
                                beeing when I tried to order them via my favourite
                                dealer, MTL "forgot" to answer to the order....).

                                Other available modern rolling stock:
                                -Pennzee coal hoppers,
                                -FR Gunderson double-stackers
                                -FR coalporters

                                Personnally I wrote MTL to ask them modern era rolling
                                stock (I asked them high capacity tank cars, covered
                                hoppers and covered tri-level autoracks), and I think
                                every z-scaler turned towards modern era should do the
                                same....

                                Cheers,

                                Dominique

                              • Mei Mei/Vincent Goudreault
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 29, 2004
                                  Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:23:43 +0200 (CEST)
                                  From: de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>
                                  Subject: Re: Re: Just wondering!

                                  --- Vincent Goudreault <vgoudreault@...> a
                                  > out there,
                                  > No boxcar without
                                  > walkway, no covered
                                  > hoppers,
                                  > no modern tank cars, etc.

                                  Vincent, check MTL's roster: you'll see that there is
                                  an available 50' boxcar WITHOUT roofwalk. This boxcar
                                  has been released in several roadnames, the latest
                                  beeing Burlington Northern one year ago (the problem
                                  beeing when I tried to order them via my favourite
                                  dealer, MTL "forgot" to answer to the order....).

                                  Other available modern rolling stock:
                                  -Pennzee coal hoppers,
                                  -FR Gunderson double-stackers
                                  -FR coalporters

                                  Personnally I wrote MTL to ask them modern era rolling
                                  stock (I asked them high capacity tank cars, covered
                                  hoppers and covered tri-level autoracks), and I think
                                  every z-scaler turned towards modern era should do the
                                  same....

                                  Cheers,

                                  Dominique

                                  I did list the Husky (from FR and the ones that should be coming our way
                                  from MT).
                                  As for the boxcar without roofwalk, indeed, there is ONE model (I have a few
                                  of them)
                                  but that is not enough yet to allow a fully modern looking consist, like the
                                  ones I use
                                  to watch from my window. We need the high cubes box, we need the modern
                                  tanks, we
                                  need covered hoppers, and in several numbers per road names, like Pennzee
                                  did
                                  with their reefers and hoppers. I believe this will happen, it just did not
                                  happen yet.

                                  CBVG
                                • Tom Fisher
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                                    I just sent my email to MTL.

                                    What about a request to Penzee about making covered
                                    hoppers and not just coal hoppers? Would his coal
                                    hoppers work OK as the basis for a grain or chemical
                                    hopper?

                                    wrote:
                                    > --- Vincent Goudreault <vgoudreault@...> a
                                    >
                                    > > out there,
                                    > > No boxcar without
                                    > > walkway, no covered
                                    > > hoppers,
                                    > > no modern tank cars, etc.
                                    >
                                    > Vincent, check MTL's roster: you'll see that there
                                    > is
                                    > an available 50' boxcar WITHOUT roofwalk. This
                                    > boxcar
                                    > has been released in several roadnames, the latest
                                    > beeing Burlington Northern one year ago (the problem
                                    > beeing when I tried to order them via my favourite
                                    > dealer, MTL "forgot" to answer to the order....).
                                    >
                                    > Other available modern rolling stock:
                                    > -Pennzee coal hoppers,
                                    > -FR Gunderson double-stackers
                                    > -FR coalporters
                                    >
                                    > Personnally I wrote MTL to ask them modern era
                                    > rolling
                                    > stock (I asked them high capacity tank cars, covered
                                    > hoppers and covered tri-level autoracks), and I
                                    > think
                                    > every z-scaler turned towards modern era should do
                                    > the
                                    > same....
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    >
                                    > Dominique
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Mail : votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui
                                    > vous suit partout !
                                    > Cr�ez votre Yahoo! Mail sur
                                    > http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/
                                    >
                                    > Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis gr�ce � Yahoo!
                                    > Messenger !T�l�chargez Yahoo! Messenger sur
                                    > http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

                                  • themohican2003
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@y...> wrote:
                                      > I just sent my email to MTL.
                                      >
                                      > What about a request to Penzee about making covered
                                      > hoppers and not just coal hoppers? Would his coal
                                      > hoppers work OK as the basis for a grain or chemical
                                      > hopper?
                                      > Hello All
                                      Just a note concerning Penzee coal to covered hopper conversions. I
                                      got in a long conversation with Bob Olsen about hoppers and tooling
                                      costs. One suggestion about my making a hopper conversion kit was one
                                      subject discussed. He sent me a couple of undec. cars, one of each
                                      color for me to experiment with. I have looked at that possibility
                                      quite seriously as an addition to my centerflow hopper design. There
                                      is only one thing not right about using coal hoppers, they are not as
                                      tall as grain hoppers and because of that the lower chutes are too
                                      small. I would need to extend the lower portion of the frame to allow
                                      for the larger bay chutes. The final answer would be components
                                      mounted top and bottom to make them correct.
                                      Any way, that's what I had determined it needed. It may work out just
                                      fine when I get some more time from my other projects to allow
                                      development.
                                      Still working on the Centerflow covered hoppers, maybe the chemical
                                      machining company will deliver some samples for me soon for my test
                                      fitting.
                                      Keep watching for new developments.
                                      Allan Borg
                                      SuZee Line Models
                                    • William Brock
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 30, 2004
                                        I model in the present era, but in Europe for the
                                        location.
                                        --- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:
                                        > How many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad in
                                        > the "NOW!"
                                        > Modern!

                                        =====

                                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 1, 2004
                                          --- Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> a écrit : > I
                                          just sent my email to MTL.

                                          > What about a request to Penzee about making covered
                                          > hoppers and not just coal hoppers? Would his coal
                                          > hoppers work OK as the basis for a grain or chemical
                                          > hopper?

                                          Yes, 2 weeks or so ago someone on the group (I don't
                                          remember who) released pictures of amazing modified
                                          Pennzee coal hoppers converted into covered chemical
                                          hoppers.
                                          Cheers,
                                          Dominique

                                        • Elizabeth Hayes
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 1, 2004
                                            what about the micro-trains 50 foot ribside boxcars?

                                            >From: Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...>
                                            >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                            >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Just wondering!
                                            >Date: whaTue, 27 Apr 2004 21:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
                                            >
                                            >I am though I also have an F7 and most, if not all, of
                                            >my MTL cars are "dated". Only my AZL Dash 9s, FR
                                            >stackers, and Penzee hoppers are "NOW". FR's other
                                            >"NOW" cars are not in roads that I want.
                                            >
                                            >I would not have the out of date cars if I had a
                                            >reasonable alternative. Robert Ray's Center Beam and
                                            >MTL's stackers are eagerly awaited by me.
                                            >
                                            >--- sgt_tim7 <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:
                                            > > How many "Z" scalers are building their Railroad in
                                            > > the "NOW!"
                                            > > Modern!

                                            >http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careermakeover

                                          • Elizabeth Hayes
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 3, 2004
                                              coal hopers have different bays than the covered hoppers, coal hopper bays
                                              slant inward from the ends to the middle, covered hopper bays drop straight
                                              down

                                              >From: de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>
                                              >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                              >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Re: Just wondering!
                                              >Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 11:59:27 +0200 (CEST)
                                              >
                                              > --- Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> a �crit�: > I
                                              >just sent my email to MTL.
                                              > >
                                              > > What about a request to Penzee about making covered
                                              > > hoppers and not just coal hoppers? Would his coal
                                              > > hoppers work OK as the basis for a grain or chemical
                                              > > hopper?
                                              >
                                              >Yes, 2 weeks or so ago someone on the group (I don't
                                              >remember who) released pictures of amazing modified
                                              >Pennzee coal hoppers converted into covered chemical
                                              >hoppers.
                                              >Cheers,
                                              >Dominique
                                              >

                                              >Yahoo! Mail : votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !
                                              >Cr�ez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/
                                              >
                                              >Dialoguez en direct avec vos amis gr�ce � Yahoo! Messenger !T�l�chargez
                                              >Yahoo! Messenger sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

                                              Premium!