Re: MicroTrains F7

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 30, 2004
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi, I'm gonna have to write a book after all this is said and done.
      >This is strange to me to, I took apart 1 of my MTL locos, looked at
      >the instruction, part # sheet, dated copyright 1987 Kadee, and found
      >part # 29 is the part # of the coupler cover (will scan and send
      >upon request). The truck cast sides both say 14000-1, and part # on
      >the instruction sheet as 18. I also noted the locos frame halves,
      >not the truck halves, have a part # on the instructon sheet of #1 &
      >#2 and one the 2 fame halves I found 14000-2 and the other 14000-3
      >stamped into each half. The mystery of the MTL F7 continues.

      The insert sheet i used is dated 1998 - 11 years later. Your info
      really helps with ferreting out some of the changes (in addition to
      the metal worm gears changing to plastic) that have taken place over
      the many years that this little gem has been in production.

      The current chassis (main frame) halves are not stamped with any
      number, possibly since they are visually identifiable already as to
      left and right (headlight/capacitor clamps, 'Micro-Trains' molded
      into the bottom of the left half). The opposite-sides truck castings
      are not easily distinguished with the bare eye and so use molded-in
      numbers, but why this is not shown on the insert drawing is a
      mystery - simply an oversight? Or maybe because it's too easy to
      confuse 14000-2 (truck casting) with 140002 (motor brush and spring
      set).

      It would be very easy for an owner to take the trucks apart and then
      re-assemble the castings into the sideframes backwards since the
      reference drawing makes no distinction. I once tried putting both
      the same castings in each truck - the 14000-1's in the rear truck,
      the 14000-2s in the front - to see if the reduced vertical wheel play
      in the rear (with already limited roll) truck would reduce track-
      induced wobble of the loco. It ran absolutely terrible (had no
      wheelwipers at the time) compared to how it ran before the
      experimental casting swap, kept stalling repeatedly every 3 inches or
      so. That is what makes me think the slot height difference is an
      attempt to aid electrical pickup since the smaller slots with better
      axle contact end up on opposite rails front and rear when assembled
      the original way.

      Other items on the subject of the F-7 1998 drawing insert that may be
      useful - part # 22 (2 of brass washers on the worm shafts) are no
      longer used in new production. Part # 26 is shown on the drawing as
      both a gimbal (correctly) and as a worm gear shaft (error). The
      correct part number for the worm gear shaft is # 27, not 26.

      Parts 23 and 25 (worm and wormshaft) are now replaced as a pre-
      assembled single unit. Parts 31 and 30 (wheels and axle gear) are
      also now sold as an assembled single unit. Parts 14,15,16 (motor
      brush holder assembly) are not available separately, they are
      available only with a new motor - so don't lose them if replacing
      motor brushes!

      It would be nice if MT updated the drawing insert. It would be even
      nicer if on the next mold change for the chassis halves they made the
      necessary dimensional changes to DCC friendly - would save a lot of
      cutting and filing.