RE: [z_scale] Marklin Uncouplers

  • Robert Allbritton
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 29, 2004
      Perhaps I'm about to start a flame war, but....

      The Marklin "uncoupler" is a joke. It is very unreliable - I would estimate
      it only works about 20% of the time with "out of the box" rolling stock.
      Now, IF you adjust everything just right, you may get it up to 50% - but
      even that is completely unacceptable in my book.

      So what to do? Well there are other solutions:

      Manfred Jorger has a system of modifying your Marklin couplers so they will
      uncouple magnetically (use of an electro magnet will allow you to remote
      uncouple) It involves putting a little metal tab on the bottom of each
      coupler. It is VERY reliable.

      Another solution is to use MicroTrains couplers. They too will uncouple
      magnetically, but some don't like their appearance on European prototype
      trains. Of course others will argue that there is nothing less appealing
      than the appearance of Marklin couplers.

      In any event, the Marklin uncoupler just doesn't work.

      Best,
      -Rob

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 30, 2004
        > Perhaps I'm about to start a flame war, but....
        >
        > The Marklin "uncoupler" is a joke. It is very unreliable - I would
        estimate
        > it only works about 20% of the time with "out of the box" rolling stock.
        > Now, IF you adjust everything just right, you may get it up to 50% - but
        > even that is completely unacceptable in my book.

        Personally I got better than this, however if any ballast gets anywhere near
        they get very flaky. Trying by hand never seemed to work for me. However it
        certainly was a bit crappy.

        The system jorger website http://www.system-joerger.de/ has a nice video.
        This is only on the german version, select neuheiten, followed by
        elektrisches Entkupplungssystem then the video is at the bottomm of the
        page.
        --
        Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
        Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 30, 2004
          Hi guys
          im just converting over to microtrains couplers
          but one thing im looking for rather than having perminent magnets to
          uncouple im looking for electro maganets

          any one got any ideas of where to look and what i should be looking for id
          like to fire the electro magnet from a dcc accessory decoder but if not then
          id get the dcc to fire a relay id like to be looking at 10- 20 secs
          activation time

          Tony

          > > Perhaps I'm about to start a flame war, but....
          > >
          > > The Marklin "uncoupler" is a joke. It is very unreliable - I would
          > estimate
          > > it only works about 20% of the time with "out of the box" rolling stock.
          > > Now, IF you adjust everything just right, you may get it up to 50% - but
          > > even that is completely unacceptable in my book.
          >
          > Personally I got better than this, however if any ballast gets anywhere
          near
          > they get very flaky. Trying by hand never seemed to work for me. However
          it
          > certainly was a bit crappy.
          >
          > The system jorger website http://www.system-joerger.de/ has a nice video.
          > This is only on the german version, select neuheiten, followed by
          > elektrisches Entkupplungssystem then the video is at the bottomm of the
          > page.
          > --
          > Work peteri@... | remove magic word .org to reply
          > Home peter@... | I own the domain but theres no MX

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jim_manley_alpha_six
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 30, 2004
            Hi Tony,

            Are you going to use electromagnets to prevent unwanted uncoupling?
            Probably not a bad idea. However, positioning the electromagnets so
            they provide a magnetic field in the correct orientation is going to
            be the challenge. I don't think you can just mount them under the
            track with their cores perpendicular to the surface of the layout,
            since the magnetic field's lines of flux would then be shooting
            upward, and you need them to act side-to-side across the track (the
            permanent magnet uncouplers that go under the tracks have their
            North/South poles oriented across the tracks, so the iron wires on the
            couplers are pulled laterally along the magnetic field's lines of
            flux). You may have to mount two electromagnets in the surface of the
            layout, one on either side of the track, angled slightly upward (maybe
            ~10 degrees - lots of experimentation may be needed to get this
            working just right), so that the electromagnet cores are aiming at
            where the couplers will be above the track. I have no idea how
            powerful the electromagnets will need to be, but obviously, the closer
            they are to the track, the better (i.e., right next to the ties).
            You'll also want to make sure you wire up the electromagnets so that
            their magnetic fields are added together, and not cancel each other
            out (swapping the connections on one electromagnet should result in
            one that results in a much stronger field).

            I assume you know that you'll still need to back down the train until
            the couplers to be separated are aligned between the electromagnets,
            because MTL couplers won't release until the tension in them has been
            removed. The alignment is probably going to need to be fairly precise
            unless you use some really honkin' big electromagnets (but don't use
            any that are too big, or you could pull the cars, or even a loco,
            right off the track! (our little trains are just too light! :) You'll
            want to position some kind of non-obvious marker next to the tracks,
            such as a brakeman figure, signal box, etc., so you can more easily
            precisely line up the cars to be uncoupled.

            I'd be interested in hearing how this works out for you, and what the
            minimum size of the electromagnets needed will be, if someone else
            hasn't already done this. I'm just curious enough that I might go
            visit the hardware lab in the other building later this evening,
            borrow some armature wire and dig up a nail, and do some winding! The
            key info that needs to be figured out will be the number of turns of
            wire (more is better), the gauge of the wire (smaller is better), and
            the diameter and composition of the core (smaller and more ferrous is
            better, so the field is more intense along the axis of the core).

            All Z BeZt,
            Jim

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ahellary" <ahellary@n...> wrote:
            > Hi guys
            > im just converting over to microtrains couplers
            > but one thing im looking for rather than having perminent magnets to
            > uncouple im looking for electro maganets
            >
            > any one got any ideas of where to look and what i should be looking
            > for id like to fire the electro magnet from a dcc accessory decoder
            > but if not then id get the dcc to fire a relay id like to be looking
            > at 10- 20 secs activation time
            >
            > Tony
          • daledwardsmith
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 1 4:24 AM
              Hi,

              Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
              wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
              have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
              wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
              appreciated.

              Thanks
            • Uwe Liermann
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 1 5:27 AM
                Hello daledwardsmith,

                > Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
                > wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
                > have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
                > wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
                > appreciated.

                the yellow goes back to the power source (if need be via the 7209
                strip to be connected with other uncouplers or switches), and the blue
                goes via a contact button to the other pole of the power source. If
                you have a Maerklin power pack it is the yellow and grey contacts of
                the power source. But any 10V AC power source will do.

                A hint:

                all yellow wires can be connected to go back to the power source,
                whereas the blue wires are always the one to go via the contact
                button. This goes for the uncouplers and the switches.

                Also have a look at the Z_Scale enZyclopedia at the groups website,
                and here under:

                Track - Tips on wiring Märklin track components

                and

                Electricity and Electronics - Marklin plugs and sockets: colour coding

                --
                GreetingZ
                Uwe
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1 7:46 AM
                  On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:24:21 -0000
                  "daledwardsmith" <daledwardsmith@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Can anyone tell me how to wire Marklin uncouplers? There are two
                  > wires, a yellow (to the 7209 power distribution strip?) and a blue. I
                  > have a momentary contact button to activate, but have no clue how to
                  > wire and the uncoupler had now instructions. Any help would be greatly
                  > appreciated.

                  Its just a solenoid. So AC accessory power from the controller (*NOT*
                  16v as with larger scales). Wire one side of the uncoupler direct to the
                  controller and the other through a push-to-connect switch to the other
                  side of the controller power.

                  Momentary contact won't do - but if you are using the Marklin boxes they
                  are not in fact momentary contact but provide power while you push the
                  button, so yo can wire one to one side of a point control switch (and
                  indeed another to the other side)
                • Dale Smith
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 2 1:09 AM
                    Dear Alan,

                    Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I missed something?

                    Thanks so much,
                    Dale Smith

                    Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote: On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:24:21 -0000

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 2 2:11 AM
                      Hello Dale,

                      > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three
                      > wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power
                      > distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and
                      > then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I
                      > missed something?

                      For all Maerklin articles that have a yellow wire, those yellow wires
                      can be connected into one line that finally leads into the power pack.
                      To connect those you can use the 72090 connector plate.

                      The button that controls an item is always installed in the blue line.

                      The uncoupler has only two wires: one yellow, one blue.

                      Only the turn outs/switches have three: one yellow, and two blue.

                      I wouldn't use the 72730 for the uncoupler because the contact closes
                      permanent until you use the other button to open again. This can
                      destroy the solenoid in the uncoupler if the contact is closed to
                      long. For the uncoupler and the turn outs the 72720 is the correct
                      control box. Here the current is only flowing as long as the button is
                      pressed.

                      The 72730 is used to open or close a circuit to a track section that
                      should be disconnected from the rest of the track. Here you can use
                      the 8588 track piece which has two blue wires, which are both
                      connected to the 72730 box. This box don't have a connection to the
                      power pack. The contact just closes a gap in one rail in the track
                      piece 8588.

                      --
                      GreetingZ
                      Uwe
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 2 2:49 AM
                        On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 01:09:48 -0700 (PDT)
                        Dale Smith <daledwardsmith@...> wrote:

                        > Dear Alan,
                        >
                        > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I missed something?

                        Are you sure you have an uncoupler and not a circuit track ? Does it have
                        a gray rectangular block on the top about 1cm or a much smaller black peg
                        that can spring forward or back from centre ?
                      • daledwardsmith
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 2 4:27 PM
                          Thank you all for your help, Alan, Uwe (and as always, Jim)

                          First, I have spent too long underneath the layout, and was in fact
                          looking at a turnout when I saw the two blue wires. Sorry for the
                          confusion. I will make it downtown to find a 7270 box this week.

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Dale,
                          >
                          > > Pardon my thickness, but I still not understand. There are three
                          > > wires, one yellow and two blue.Do I plug the yellow into the power
                          > > distribution switch to supply accessory power to the uncoupler, and
                          > > then plug both blue ends into the 72730 uncoupler box? Or have I
                          > > missed something?
                          >

                          > For all Maerklin articles that have a yellow wire, those yellow wires
                          > can be connected into one line that finally leads into the power pack.
                          > To connect those you can use the 72090 connector plate.
                          >
                          > The button that controls an item is always installed in the blue line.
                          >
                          > The uncoupler has only two wires: one yellow, one blue.
                          >
                          > Only the turn outs/switches have three: one yellow, and two blue.
                          >
                          > I wouldn't use the 72730 for the uncoupler because the contact closes
                          > permanent until you use the other button to open again. This can
                          > destroy the solenoid in the uncoupler if the contact is closed to
                          > long. For the uncoupler and the turn outs the 72720 is the correct
                          > control box. Here the current is only flowing as long as the button is
                          > pressed.
                          >
                          > The 72730 is used to open or close a circuit to a track section that
                          > should be disconnected from the rest of the track. Here you can use
                          > the 8588 track piece which has two blue wires, which are both
                          > connected to the 72730 box. This box don't have a connection to the
                          > power pack. The contact just closes a gap in one rail in the track
                          > piece 8588.
                          >

                          > --
                          > GreetingZ
                          > Uwe

                        • solo_clipper
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 3 8:45 AM
                            Another solution is to use MicroTrains couplers. They too will
                            uncouplemagnetically, but some don't like their appearance on European
                            prototype trains. Of course others will argue that there is nothing
                            less appealing than the appearance of Marklin couplers.
                            In any event, the Marklin uncoupler just doesn't work.

                            Best,
                            -Rob

                            I found this old thread and am in the same situation. Do I switch to
                            MicroTrain couplers on my European prototype trains? Is it a tough job
                            to do about 20 units? I want to use the MicroTrain sectional track and
                            want an uncoupler track. If anybody has done this tell me of your
                            experiances.
                          • Ralph Scott
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 5 3:02 AM
                              Try the jorger system - uses existing marklin couplers with tiny magnets attached and an electromagnet under the track - not cheap but 100% succesfull and easy to install.
                              I use it in a fully automated end to end situation.
                              Ralph