My Fast Tracks Turnouts Jigs Arrived...

  • Robert Ray
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27 6:41 AM
      Just got them 2 days ago, a #6 and a #8 code 40. Each makes both a
      left and right turnout.

      The PC ties get cut to length, the copper trace gets cut for
      electrical isolation, and then the ties dropped into their slot's.
      Rails get cut to length, and bent to shape for proper fit in the rail
      slots, and some get filed to points or notches filed for close fit
      ajacent the points.

      It took me 2 hours of careful fiddling to get the first turnout made,
      as I was reading the instructions, and going slow so I understand the
      process. I think I can get the process down to about an hour each,
      but my hopes of 30 minutes or less per turnouts is unreasonable,
      better to allow 1 hour each.

      The finished product was actually very sturdy, and the points moved
      nicely. I used a cutoff wheel in my dremel to cut the rails in 3
      places for proper electrical isolation, yet the rails held in proper
      alignment after the cuts. I am waiting on some code 40 rail joiners
      so I can attach rails and actually run an engine thru them, but Micro
      Trains rolling stock went thru both sides fine. I still have to
      measure the rail guage but it looked very good and even thruout both
      routes.

      I had ordered PC ties with the jigs, and they came precut to a
      perfect width, but needed to be cut to length as required. I still
      want to measure them, but they look like a scale 7" deep, and 9"
      wide, as the PC material is 1/32" thick, and the width is just a
      little wider than deep.

      So far, so good. I'll report more as I make more progress, but for
      now, I would say that material costs less the jig makes turnouts cost
      about $2.50 - 3.00 each, and about 1 hour work. I'll also add that
      they look real nice!
    • mdgolfbum
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27 7:12 AM
        Robert

        Sounds great! Where are you getting the Code 40 rail? Are you using
        Code 40 throughout the layout? Are you handlaying the nonswitch
        sections or have access to Code40 flex for Z scale?

        thanks

        jtm
      • Robert Ray
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27 9:21 AM
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mdgolfbum" <jim@j...> wrote:
          > Robert
          >
          > Sounds great! Where are you getting the Code 40 rail? Are you using
          > Code 40 throughout the layout? Are you handlaying the nonswitch
          > sections or have access to Code40 flex for Z scale?
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > jtm

          The plan is to build all my Z-Bend modules with hand laid code 40. I
          seen Tom Knapp's hand laid Nn3 module at the Feb GATS, and it worked
          fine. He used a modified Marklin expanding track to join modules, so
          I plan to use them also. They ran trains on his module, thru hand
          laid turnouts all day without problems, so having seen it work in a
          club enviroment, I plan on using all hand laid trackwork.

          I bought my first pack of code 40 rail at my LHS, and ordered more
          thru http://www.featherrivertrains.com , but I have seen it listed at
          other sites on the internet.

          The PC ties came from http://www.handlaidtrack.com , but I have some
          I ordered from http://www.republiclocomotiveworks.com that were
          labeled DG&M to try. As for regulat ties, I am using a laser to cut
          tie's in sections connected just like plastic flex track ties, out of
          1/32" plywood to save time. (gotta cheat somewhere don't I?) :)

          -Robert
        • d.f.avila@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27 10:33 AM
            The laser sounds interresting. Where and how much does a laser cost that is ssimple for ties. I have seen them in woodworking magazines but they are budget busters plus new lasers required frequently.
          • Robert Ray
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27 3:55 PM
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, d.f.avila@a... wrote:
              > The laser sounds interresting. Where and how much does a laser
              cost that is ssimple for ties. I have seen them in woodworking
              magazines but they are budget busters plus new lasers required
              frequently.

              You can find them on eBay used for $5000 several times a year. I'm
              making mine pay for itself by making some caboose kits. Once I got my
              money back, it's all hobby gravy! Plan is to make all my own custom
              structures, and a lot of nice Z rolling stock too.

              I was told that within 5 years the cost of a laser will be within the
              reach of the average modeler, and right now they would be considered
              a usefull investment for a technicaly competent club. Just look how
              many laser kit companies sprung up in the lase 2 years!