Re: [z_scale] Photo of New Semi-Truck on Homepage

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hello Don,

      How many do you need? The tires are made with our
      new Plasma Laser Deposition and Integrated Atomic
      Particle Obfuscater, or more simply; cast metal.

      They won't be out for a while. Hang in there. More pictures
      will be uploaded this week.

      Best regards,

      Reynard
      http://www.micronart.com

    • d.f.avila@att.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
        ...well less than 50,000 I don't think the old Yellow Transit or Consolidated Freightways had that many units, and the section if the tire company where I worked a long time ago kept track of ALL the tires ALL the time. Interesting problem when tires are all over North America and records coming in at different times from different places. For computer purposes you can not apply a tire unless the record shows an empty axle. Lots of theft and "fires". Lots of "fun" when you get about 15,000 to 25,000 records per WEEK. Purpose was to keep track of tires under test in the real world. Tire logistics problem is basically the same as keeping track of rail cars scattered all over the place.

        Anyway less than 50,000 but more than 1 assuming pricing is similar to other Micronart items I have purchased. ...course if you throw in a few Xmas gifts...

        Thanks for the wheel info. I discovered it hidden behine the main truck photo. Nothing happens on the right photo and I assumed, wrongly, the left photo was the same. As usual, stupid computer does what you ask, not what you want.

        ...don

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
          Hello again, Don,

          Let's see... the left photo is of the truck... the right photo is of
          an old time watchman's tower and Model T. Now I get it!
          I made both photos into active links a few minutes ago.
          The Semi Tractor has another new link to some more photos
          so that each page will load faster.

          49K tractors and trailers?! I sure hope so. I could do it but
          I will need to hear from a lot more folks before that happens.

          Most trucking companies had 50 to 100 tractors and about 150
          to 200 trailers to be of any significance, so I guess that's your
          goal. I'm still trying to figure out what your references to 15K to 25K
          "records" is all about.

          Just scratching my head and thankful for your humor!

          Reynard
          On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 12:33 PM, d.f.avila@... wrote:

          > ...well less than 50,000��� I don't think the old Yellow Transit or
          > Consolidated Freightways had that many units, and the section if the
          > tire company where I worked a long time ago kept track of ALL the
          > tires ALL the time.� Interesting problem when tires are all over North
          > America and records coming in at different times from different
          > places.� For computer purposes you can not apply a tire unless the
          > record shows an empty axle.� Lots of theft and "fires".� Lots of "fun"
          > when you get about 15,000 to 25,000 records per WEEK.� Purpose was to
          > keep track of tires under test in the real world.� Tire logistics
          > problem is basically the same as keeping track of rail cars scattered
          > all over the place.
          >
          > Anyway less than 50,000 but more than 1 assuming pricing is similar to
          > other Micronart items I have purchased.� ...course if you throw in a
          > few Xmas gifts...
          >
          > Thanks for the wheel info.� I discovered it hidden behine the main
          > truck photo.� Nothing happens on the right photo and I assumed,
          > wrongly, the left photo was the same.� As usual, stupid computer does
          > what you ask, not what you want.
          >
          > ...don
          >

          > � ----------

          > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!� Highly addictive in Small
          > DoseZ!

          <image.tiff>

        • d.f.avila@att.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
            The tire records are a history of each tire -- 18 tires per tractor & trailer times many changes in a lifetime as tires get puctured; have to be rotated; recapped; equipment sold etc etc. This means at any given time there were about 750,000 ACTIVE records for all the tires in a large company's system. Before the days of GPS drivers would often stop and "rest" at the local watering hole or whatever. Often they would say the tires were "stolen" when in fact they had sold them and replaced them with some piece of junk. After those excuses wore thin, then they would have "tire fires" or "damaged in service" and natuarally a replacement [and they sometimes got a 'sales commission'. When the computer came into being in the early 1960's for serious data processing you suddenly were able to spot the local dens of trouble. I recall one case where the FBI turned up the local madaaam and her workers. The reason is you look for unusal percentages of "failures" or bad records and this leads you to something. [[ A bank sometimes catches teller problems by counting the QUANTITY of each type of bill, not whether the cash drawer is correct or not. If a teller consistently has a higher percentage of 20's or 50's or 100's than all other tellers, then the computer says "Something may be fishy" ]] In tires there are MANY MANY MANY items that affect mileage, and when you are following test tires we would end up with a "zillion" records, yet have to be able to make sense out of it.

            Gotta have humor otherwise you'd go nutz assembling ittzy biitzy "Z" buildings and stuff. A fellow who has a big fantastic HO layout told me/my wife he thought I was absolutely positively crazy to play with "Z" -- I don't think he knows what he is missing.

            ...don

          • Scott A. Whitmire
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
              That is indeed a work of art. Very nice.

              At 2/29/2004 02:54 PM, you wrote:
              >Wow Reynard. Very impressive! A much needed model indeed.
              >
              >Rob Kluz

              Scott Whitmire
            • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004