Re: [z_scale] Re: Santa Fe warbonnet is back

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
      Greg:

      > I discussed the B unit's poor rolling qualities with Joe

      Did Joe have any suggestions?

      Bill K.
      Houston

    • Glen Chenier
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Elmassian" <greg@e...> wrote:
        > I discussed the B unit's poor rolling qualities with Joe, who ...
        said the shim retrofit did not really help that much.

        Interesting point, i have recently come to the same tentative opinion
        about the shims but would like to hear comments from other's
        experience before jumping to a final conclusion.

        The shims increase the clearance between the plasic sideframes and
        the metal castings, giving the axles a lot more space for vertical
        play. There appears to be sufficient free play already without the
        shims unless an axle has to tilt so much that it binds.

        The shims do not hurt the B unit, but can impede the running quality
        of the dummy A unit; because of the front slot of the A shell the
        coupler draft gear is in physical contact with the lower inside edge
        of this slot when the shims have been installed. This transfers all
        truck rolling motion to the shell and makes it wobble terribly.