Re: Inaugural Meeting of the SF Bay Area Z Module Group

  • jmac_han
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 29, 2004
      This is great to know, Tony. I have updated your Ambassador
      listing to include this event.

      Hope you, Graham and Damien have a super time.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, ahellary@n... wrote:
      > hi guys
      >
      > next sat 6th march at moulton
      > upper school (near northampton) there is a rail show at which
      graham
      > jones will be there with his new american
      > layout also some of my dcc converted locos will be there
      >
      >i help to organise the show
      >

      > Tony
    • Daniel Hogue
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 29, 2004
        Jim,
        When you and the group have a chance to put together standards for your
        module, please share a copy with us. One of the things that I have
        learned from watching the N scale folks is that there is room for more
        than one module standard, depending on the type of railroad one wishes
        to model. Your module sounds like a good extension of Z-bend (and in
        fact, with the right transition modules it might even be connected to
        other regular Z-bend modules.) I also think that there is room in Z
        for a version of the oNetrak concept for single track main lines. (Of
        course, I am working on a module of a 4-track NYC main line, for which I
        hope also to make transition modules that would allow it to be connected
        to a Z-bend module.) Variety is the spice of life-and with planning we
        can have our cakes and eat them too!
        Dan Hogue
        Utica, NY 13501

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
          Hi Dan,

          Absoleetly! One of our intentions is to have at least two transition
          modules to Z-Bend, or at least initially, the Pacific Northwest Z
          Scalers (PNWZS) flavor, so we can either hook up to one end of their
          layout, in the middle, and/or probably via a "T" module, for maximum
          flexibility. Once we've got that figured out, we may also do
          something to be able to connect directly to the Northwest Crossing
          modules from the folks in Texas, and the modules by the guys in the DC
          area.

          I'm trying to get enough done to try out with the PNWZS folks for at
          least one of the events they will be attending between now and NTS
          2004 in Seattle in July, so that we can have an even bigger operating
          layout to put all the other scales to shame, as was done at the last
          few NTSes. By the time NTS 2005 in Cincinnati rolls around, I'm
          hoping that we will be able to form A More Perfect Union with all of
          the other Z scale "modulators", including our Suthun' Californ-eye-yay
          brethren, and show A Grateful Nation how, working together, we can
          repreZent all 50 cornerZ of the U.S., including itZ TerritorieZ and
          PossessionZ, in addition to Canada, and Central and South America (we
          modestly hope to be able to repreZent the rest of the world by NTS 2006 :)

          Single-track, double-track, triple-track, quadruple-track ... any
          mainline is a good line, to us! The biggest issue is likely to be
          connecting the electrical lash-up. I would appreciate any detailed
          insights as to how this was done for NTS 2002 and earlier. If this
          isn't of interest to most z_scale group members, feel free to chime in
          via our BAZ_Modules group area:

          You have to join the group to be able to post, and I'm not sure
          whether Ted Lamar needs to get you checked in before you can post, but
          we'll work it out.

          All Z BeZt,
          Jim