Santa Fe warbonnet is back

  • harold grady
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
      Hi guys, well I know you have been wondering out loud
      and to yourself when is MTL gonna rerun the F-7 in the
      very popular red and silver scheme? Well take a look
      it's
      back.The only sad note is that just the A unit has the

      scheme. We'll probably have to wait a little while for
      the B unit. I know I'll probably order 2 units.
      Harold Grady

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
    • Greg Elmassian
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
        yep, saw the A unit in the flesh at the pomona show.

        The microtrains guys said there was a good possibility the B unit
        would follow in a couple of months.

        I discussed the B unit's poor rolling qualities with Joe, who worked
        on the N scale F unit, who designed the new gunderson coming,and who
        designed the new loco coming this year. I suggested powered B units.
        He also said the shim retrofit did not really help that much.

        There were hints about the upcoming loco, but I can say nothing
        except after talking to Joe, I'm happy someone so passionate and
        capable is helping forge the MT future products.

        Greg

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
          Greg:

          > I discussed the B unit's poor rolling qualities with Joe

          Did Joe have any suggestions?

          Bill K.
          Houston

        • Glen Chenier
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Elmassian" <greg@e...> wrote:
            > I discussed the B unit's poor rolling qualities with Joe, who ...
            said the shim retrofit did not really help that much.

            Interesting point, i have recently come to the same tentative opinion
            about the shims but would like to hear comments from other's
            experience before jumping to a final conclusion.

            The shims increase the clearance between the plasic sideframes and
            the metal castings, giving the axles a lot more space for vertical
            play. There appears to be sufficient free play already without the
            shims unless an axle has to tilt so much that it binds.

            The shims do not hurt the B unit, but can impede the running quality
            of the dummy A unit; because of the front slot of the A shell the
            coupler draft gear is in physical contact with the lower inside edge
            of this slot when the shims have been installed. This transfers all
            truck rolling motion to the shell and makes it wobble terribly.