Re: Good Prices

  • zscale@retrograde.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
      My Z-shopping experience is limited so far, but I've been pleased with Modellbahn Ott, in Pennsylvania. I've purchased track, roadbed, joiners, motor brushes, headlamp bulbs, etc. there, and have just ordered a few MicroTrains boxcars (making my first investment in those famous MT couplers). The first time I called, Mr. Ott himself answered the phone, and was very pleasant to do business with. The prices are favorable to what I've seen in my local shop, and they offer an additional discount on some items if you order online.

      Z Model Trains in Texas has some nice accessories and scenery items for sale, like backdrops, structure kits, cast-plaster masonry items, Relco track-cleaning zappers and so on. Also pleasant to deal with.

      Except for the F7 in the starter set I began with, all my locomotives have been purchased on eBay. Mine have all arrived in excellent condition, but naturally "let the buyer beware", clean and oil every eBay loco no matter how new it looks. If you are fortunate and don't find yourself in a bidding war with a millionaire (and there seem to be a bunch of them lurking on eBay!), you can save a considerable amount of money on locos. I saved a lot on a set of Pullmans too, but I'm not convinced that you'll save much money buying individual railroad cars on eBay, once you figure in shipping and any bank fees. It seems like MicroTrains cars on eBay are not much cheaper than they'd be at an online retailer or a hobby shop.

      -- Andy

    • zscale@retrograde.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
        Sorry, I should have included Web addresses:

        Modellbahn Ott
        http://www.modellbahnott.com/

        Z Model Trains
        http://www.zmodeltrains.com/

        You'll also run into these URL's on the "where to buy" web page
        recommended in David Karp's post (a few messages before this one).

        -- A.

        > My Z-shopping experience is limited so far, but I've been pleased
        with Modellbahn Ott, in Pennsylvania. I've purchased track, roadbed,
        joiners, motor brushes, headlamp bulbs, etc. there, and have just
        ordered a few MicroTrains boxcars (making my first investment in
        those famous MT couplers). The first time I called, Mr. Ott himself
        answered the phone, and was very pleasant to do business with. The
        prices are favorable to what I've seen in my local shop, and they
        offer an additional discount on some items if you order online.

        > Z Model Trains in Texas has some nice accessories and scenery items
        for sale, like backdrops, structure kits, cast-plaster masonry items,
        Relco track-cleaning zappers and so on. Also pleasant to deal with.

        > Except for the F7 in the starter set I began with, all my
        locomotives have been purchased on eBay. Mine have all arrived in
        excellent condition, but naturally "let the buyer beware", clean and
        oil every eBay loco no matter how new it looks. If you are fortunate
        and don't find yourself in a bidding war with a millionaire (and
        there seem to be a bunch of them lurking on eBay!), you can save a
        considerable amount of money on locos. I saved a lot on a set of
        Pullmans too, but I'm not convinced that you'll save much money
        buying individual railroad cars on eBay, once you figure in shipping
        and any bank fees. It seems like MicroTrains cars on eBay are not
        much cheaper than they'd be at an online retailer or a hobby shop.

        > -- Andy
        >
        > > Can anyone suggest the best place to purchase Z stuff at a
        reasonable
        > > price. Some places give 20% discount as a policy. Here in
        Arizona they
        > > want full price for all Z stuff. I sure would appreciate
        suggestions.
        > > Thanks, Regis
      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
          I'd have to agree with this; eBay is also a good place to find discontinued
          items, used collections, and all kinds of accessories no hobby shops will
          carry.

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • bjkronen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
            Hi Group.

            As long as we are "telling all" about where we spend our money on trains, I
            have four places that get almost all of my business:

            (1st place) http://www.discount-train.com
            (healthy discount on everything including Marklin, MT, Peco,
            Noch, etc.
            and a very informative web site)

            (runner up) Kleins in Baltimore (410-272-5772)
            (they deep discount everything, and will negotiate even better
            deals
            on larger purchases of track and/or Marklin/MT locos/cars -
            ask
            for a quote)

            (runner up) http://www.texnrails.com - deep discounter, nice website

            (runner up) LBC in Buffalo, NY (716-631-3081)
            (they cut great deals on MT rolling stock)

            Regards,
            Bill Kronenberger
            Houston