Re: [z_scale] Good Prices

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
      Hi Regis,

      Try calling Randy at John's Trains and Hobbies. He has a lot of consignment
      stuff (Marklin) and also has a box of goodies in the back which he is
      offering at 30% off the 1997 catalog (Canadian dollars!) list price. I have
      picked up some interesting items from him over the years. Talk to him about
      your wish list as well. They will ship anywhere.

      John's Trains and Hobbies
      2188 Danforth Avenue
      Toronto, Ontario
      Canada M4C 1K3
      Tel. 416-421-1850

      Enjoy your shopping experience,
      Jeffrey MacHan

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • zscale@retrograde.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
        My Z-shopping experience is limited so far, but I've been pleased with Modellbahn Ott, in Pennsylvania. I've purchased track, roadbed, joiners, motor brushes, headlamp bulbs, etc. there, and have just ordered a few MicroTrains boxcars (making my first investment in those famous MT couplers). The first time I called, Mr. Ott himself answered the phone, and was very pleasant to do business with. The prices are favorable to what I've seen in my local shop, and they offer an additional discount on some items if you order online.

        Z Model Trains in Texas has some nice accessories and scenery items for sale, like backdrops, structure kits, cast-plaster masonry items, Relco track-cleaning zappers and so on. Also pleasant to deal with.

        Except for the F7 in the starter set I began with, all my locomotives have been purchased on eBay. Mine have all arrived in excellent condition, but naturally "let the buyer beware", clean and oil every eBay loco no matter how new it looks. If you are fortunate and don't find yourself in a bidding war with a millionaire (and there seem to be a bunch of them lurking on eBay!), you can save a considerable amount of money on locos. I saved a lot on a set of Pullmans too, but I'm not convinced that you'll save much money buying individual railroad cars on eBay, once you figure in shipping and any bank fees. It seems like MicroTrains cars on eBay are not much cheaper than they'd be at an online retailer or a hobby shop.

        -- Andy

      • zscale@retrograde.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
          Sorry, I should have included Web addresses:

          Modellbahn Ott
          http://www.modellbahnott.com/

          Z Model Trains
          http://www.zmodeltrains.com/

          You'll also run into these URL's on the "where to buy" web page
          recommended in David Karp's post (a few messages before this one).

          -- A.

          > My Z-shopping experience is limited so far, but I've been pleased
          with Modellbahn Ott, in Pennsylvania. I've purchased track, roadbed,
          joiners, motor brushes, headlamp bulbs, etc. there, and have just
          ordered a few MicroTrains boxcars (making my first investment in
          those famous MT couplers). The first time I called, Mr. Ott himself
          answered the phone, and was very pleasant to do business with. The
          prices are favorable to what I've seen in my local shop, and they
          offer an additional discount on some items if you order online.

          > Z Model Trains in Texas has some nice accessories and scenery items
          for sale, like backdrops, structure kits, cast-plaster masonry items,
          Relco track-cleaning zappers and so on. Also pleasant to deal with.

          > Except for the F7 in the starter set I began with, all my
          locomotives have been purchased on eBay. Mine have all arrived in
          excellent condition, but naturally "let the buyer beware", clean and
          oil every eBay loco no matter how new it looks. If you are fortunate
          and don't find yourself in a bidding war with a millionaire (and
          there seem to be a bunch of them lurking on eBay!), you can save a
          considerable amount of money on locos. I saved a lot on a set of
          Pullmans too, but I'm not convinced that you'll save much money
          buying individual railroad cars on eBay, once you figure in shipping
          and any bank fees. It seems like MicroTrains cars on eBay are not
          much cheaper than they'd be at an online retailer or a hobby shop.

          > -- Andy
          >
          > > Can anyone suggest the best place to purchase Z stuff at a
          reasonable
          > > price. Some places give 20% discount as a policy. Here in
          Arizona they
          > > want full price for all Z stuff. I sure would appreciate
          suggestions.
          > > Thanks, Regis
        • D. A. Karp
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
            I'd have to agree with this; eBay is also a good place to find discontinued
            items, used collections, and all kinds of accessories no hobby shops will
            carry.

            http://www.creativelement.com/z/
          • bjkronen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
              Hi Group.

              As long as we are "telling all" about where we spend our money on trains, I
              have four places that get almost all of my business:

              (1st place) http://www.discount-train.com
              (healthy discount on everything including Marklin, MT, Peco,
              Noch, etc.
              and a very informative web site)

              (runner up) Kleins in Baltimore (410-272-5772)
              (they deep discount everything, and will negotiate even better
              deals
              on larger purchases of track and/or Marklin/MT locos/cars -
              ask
              for a quote)

              (runner up) http://www.texnrails.com - deep discounter, nice website

              (runner up) LBC in Buffalo, NY (716-631-3081)
              (they cut great deals on MT rolling stock)

              Regards,
              Bill Kronenberger
              Houston