Good Prices

  • Regis P. Dietrich, Jr.
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
      Can anyone suggest the best place to purchase Z stuff at a reasonable
      price. Some places give 20% discount as a policy. Here in Arizona they
      want full price for all Z stuff. I sure would appreciate suggestions.
      Thanks, Regis
    • Jay & Anne Greer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
        Hi Regis,
        If you are not already a subscriber, I can heartily recommend that you sign
        up for Z track Magazine. www.ztrack.com In it you will find many adds for
        dealers in Z. Also ebay is a source for Märklin and other Z items.
        Good luck,
        Jay Greer/Der Wegmann
        > From: "Regis P. Dietrich, Jr." <dietrich1@...>
        > Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 08:28:32 -0700
        > To: Z_scale@egroups.com
        > Subject: [z_scale] Good Prices
        >
        > Can anyone suggest the best place to purchase Z stuff at a reasonable
        > price. Some places give 20% discount as a policy. Here in Arizona they
        > want full price for all Z stuff. I sure would appreciate suggestions.
        > Thanks, Regis

      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
          Check out the following page for good places to buy Z:
          http://www.creativelement.com/z/links/wheretobuy.html

          At 08:28 AM 11/8/2000 -0700, you wrote:
          >Can anyone suggest the best place to purchase Z stuff at a reasonable
          >price. Some places give 20% discount as a policy. Here in Arizona they
          >want full price for all Z stuff. I sure would appreciate suggestions.
          >Thanks, Regis

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • Jeffrey MacHan
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
            Hi Regis,

            Try calling Randy at John's Trains and Hobbies. He has a lot of consignment
            stuff (Marklin) and also has a box of goodies in the back which he is
            offering at 30% off the 1997 catalog (Canadian dollars!) list price. I have
            picked up some interesting items from him over the years. Talk to him about
            your wish list as well. They will ship anywhere.

            John's Trains and Hobbies
            2188 Danforth Avenue
            Toronto, Ontario
            Canada M4C 1K3
            Tel. 416-421-1850

            Enjoy your shopping experience,
            Jeffrey MacHan

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • zscale@retrograde.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
              My Z-shopping experience is limited so far, but I've been pleased with Modellbahn Ott, in Pennsylvania. I've purchased track, roadbed, joiners, motor brushes, headlamp bulbs, etc. there, and have just ordered a few MicroTrains boxcars (making my first investment in those famous MT couplers). The first time I called, Mr. Ott himself answered the phone, and was very pleasant to do business with. The prices are favorable to what I've seen in my local shop, and they offer an additional discount on some items if you order online.

              Z Model Trains in Texas has some nice accessories and scenery items for sale, like backdrops, structure kits, cast-plaster masonry items, Relco track-cleaning zappers and so on. Also pleasant to deal with.

              Except for the F7 in the starter set I began with, all my locomotives have been purchased on eBay. Mine have all arrived in excellent condition, but naturally "let the buyer beware", clean and oil every eBay loco no matter how new it looks. If you are fortunate and don't find yourself in a bidding war with a millionaire (and there seem to be a bunch of them lurking on eBay!), you can save a considerable amount of money on locos. I saved a lot on a set of Pullmans too, but I'm not convinced that you'll save much money buying individual railroad cars on eBay, once you figure in shipping and any bank fees. It seems like MicroTrains cars on eBay are not much cheaper than they'd be at an online retailer or a hobby shop.

              -- Andy

            • zscale@retrograde.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
                Sorry, I should have included Web addresses:

                Modellbahn Ott
                http://www.modellbahnott.com/

                Z Model Trains
                http://www.zmodeltrains.com/

                You'll also run into these URL's on the "where to buy" web page
                recommended in David Karp's post (a few messages before this one).

                -- A.

                > My Z-shopping experience is limited so far, but I've been pleased
                with Modellbahn Ott, in Pennsylvania. I've purchased track, roadbed,
                joiners, motor brushes, headlamp bulbs, etc. there, and have just
                ordered a few MicroTrains boxcars (making my first investment in
                those famous MT couplers). The first time I called, Mr. Ott himself
                answered the phone, and was very pleasant to do business with. The
                prices are favorable to what I've seen in my local shop, and they
                offer an additional discount on some items if you order online.

                > Z Model Trains in Texas has some nice accessories and scenery items
                for sale, like backdrops, structure kits, cast-plaster masonry items,
                Relco track-cleaning zappers and so on. Also pleasant to deal with.

                > Except for the F7 in the starter set I began with, all my
                locomotives have been purchased on eBay. Mine have all arrived in
                excellent condition, but naturally "let the buyer beware", clean and
                oil every eBay loco no matter how new it looks. If you are fortunate
                and don't find yourself in a bidding war with a millionaire (and
                there seem to be a bunch of them lurking on eBay!), you can save a
                considerable amount of money on locos. I saved a lot on a set of
                Pullmans too, but I'm not convinced that you'll save much money
                buying individual railroad cars on eBay, once you figure in shipping
                and any bank fees. It seems like MicroTrains cars on eBay are not
                much cheaper than they'd be at an online retailer or a hobby shop.

                > -- Andy
                >
                > > Can anyone suggest the best place to purchase Z stuff at a
                reasonable
                > > price. Some places give 20% discount as a policy. Here in
                Arizona they
                > > want full price for all Z stuff. I sure would appreciate
                suggestions.
                > > Thanks, Regis
              • D. A. Karp
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
                  I'd have to agree with this; eBay is also a good place to find discontinued
                  items, used collections, and all kinds of accessories no hobby shops will
                  carry.

                • bjkronen@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
                    Hi Group.

                    As long as we are "telling all" about where we spend our money on trains, I
                    have four places that get almost all of my business:

                    (1st place) http://www.discount-train.com
                    (healthy discount on everything including Marklin, MT, Peco,
                    Noch, etc.
                    and a very informative web site)

                    (runner up) Kleins in Baltimore (410-272-5772)
                    (they deep discount everything, and will negotiate even better
                    deals
                    on larger purchases of track and/or Marklin/MT locos/cars -
                    ask
                    for a quote)

                    (runner up) http://www.texnrails.com - deep discounter, nice website

                    (runner up) LBC in Buffalo, NY (716-631-3081)
                    (they cut great deals on MT rolling stock)

                    Regards,
                    Bill Kronenberger
                    Houston