Aztec Track Cleaning Car

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2000
      Here is the comment I sent to a member concerning the Aztec track cleaning
      car...every Z scale layout should have one. During train shows, I run 3
      trains continuously on the Val Ease Central. Each train has an Aztec car
      behind the motive power to polish the track and to improve the performance
      of the trains.

      They work well on the home layout to condition the track after cleaning with
      another agent.

      The Aztec car will remove residue and particles left behind from the major
      cleaning operation. I usually run a locomotive with just the cleaning car
      for about 5 minutes around each circuit of the layout. You can see the
      grime and oil that is collected on the abrasive roller which is skewed 2
      degrees from perpendicular to the track direction. As a result, the roller
      rolls while skidding along the rail head. This keeps drag to a reasonable
      level and provides the scrubbing effect that cleans the rails. Very
      ingenious on the part of John Claudino of Aztec.

      A word to the wise: Putting the car further back in a train consist may
      cause derailments due or uncoupling because of the drag from this car.

      They are a little pricey but one per layout is a good investment.

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2000
        Dear Jeffrey,

        where may I get such an Aztec track cleaning car? Is there an e-mail adress or
        web site around?

        Thanks

        Dieter

        Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
        > Here is the comment I sent to a member concerning the Aztec track cleaning
        > car...every Z scale layout should have one. During train shows, I run 3
        > trains continuously on the Val Ease Central. Each train has an Aztec car
        > behind the motive power to polish the track and to improve the performance
        > of the trains.
        >
        > They work well on the home layout to condition the track after cleaning with
        > another agent.
        >
        > The Aztec car will remove residue and particles left behind from the major
        > cleaning operation. I usually run a locomotive with just the cleaning car
        > for about 5 minutes around each circuit of the layout. You can see the
        > grime and oil that is collected on the abrasive roller which is skewed 2
        > degrees from perpendicular to the track direction. As a result, the roller
        > rolls while skidding along the rail head. This keeps drag to a reasonable
        > level and provides the scrubbing effect that cleans the rails. Very
        > ingenious on the part of John Claudino of Aztec.
        >
        > A word to the wise: Putting the car further back in a train consist may
        > cause derailments due or uncoupling because of the drag from this car.
        >
        > They are a little pricey but one per layout is a good investment.

        > http://profiles.msn.com

        Dieter W. Nolte
        E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
      • A H-Ellary
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23, 2000
          hi there

          I've had one for a while now seems to do the trick... i find that  dcc seems to be more tolerant of dirty rails but i must say i need to run my trains every week to keep them running sweet

          A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

          now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary

          Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
          > Here is the comment I sent to a member concerning the Aztec track cleaning
          > car...every Z scale layout should have one.  During train shows, I run 3
          > trains continuously on the Val Ease Central.  Each train has an Aztec car
          > behind the motive power to polish the track and to improve the performance
          > of the trains.
          >
          > They work well on the home layout to condition the track after cleaning with
          > another agent.
          >
          > The Aztec car will remove residue and particles left behind from the major
          > cleaning operation.  I usually run a locomotive with just the cleaning car
          > for about 5 minutes around each circuit of the layout.  You can see the
          > grime and oil that is collected on the abrasive roller which is skewed 2
          > degrees from perpendicular to the track direction.  As a result, the roller
          > rolls while skidding along the rail head. This keeps drag to a reasonable
          > level and provides the scrubbing effect that cleans the rails.  Very
          > ingenious on the part of John Claudino of Aztec.
          >
          > A word to the wise: Putting the car further back in a train consist may
          > cause derailments due or uncoupling because of the drag from this car.
          >
          > They are a little pricey but one per layout is a good investment.

          > http://profiles.msn.com.
          >

          > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!

          Dieter W. Nolte
          E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...

          eGroups Sponsor

          "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!

          "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!

        • D. A. Karp
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23, 2000

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24, 2000
              www.aztectrains.com