Re: Laying Cork

  • Tim Maxwell
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
      Is there anyone with either info. or a webpage on
      how to do cork on foam? Specifically how to do
      those tight radius curves. Do I soak the cork?
      How best to hold it down to cork, and still keep
      the curve. Does wet cork ruin the adhesive
      properties?
      Any step-by-step info. is welcome

      Thanks.

      Tim
      tmaxwell@...
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
        Tim,

        Here is a tip on how I use cork. I buy sheets of 1/8" cork at craft stores
        (some hardware stores have it as well). I then use my track as a template and
        cut the cork out appropriately. For instance, curves are not a straight piece
        of cork curved, but an actually curved piece of cork. I use scissors to bevel
        the edges. I then glue the cork in place, add ballast... DONE! Very simple
        and quick. Yard areas are great with this method as you just glue down sheets
        of cork. You get a nice level area.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
          >From: Tim Maxwell <tmaxwell@...>
          >To: z_scale@egroups.com
          >Subject: [z_scale] Re: Laying Cork
          >Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 01:41:43 -0500
          >
          >Is there anyone with either info. or a webpage on
          >how to do cork on foam? Specifically how to do
          >those tight radius curves. Do I soak the cork?
          >How best to hold it down to cork, and still keep
          >the curve. Does wet cork ruin the adhesive
          >properties?
          >Any step-by-step info. is welcome
          >
          >Thanks.
          >
          >Tim
          >tmaxwell@...

          Hi Tim,

          Here is an exerpt from my Ztrack Magazine article about track laying
          techniques. I have used cord strips and cork sheets as Rob Kluz suggested.
          Strips are easier to work with if you are not too handy carving cork from a
          sheet. The following text applies to laying cork along curves as well as
          straight sections.

          Whatever you do, do NOT wet or soak the cork. No adhesive will stick to it
          and it is likely to swell. I have had good success with Rubber Cement (not
          Contact Cement which will attack the foam). It is important to finalize the
          placement of your track and to mark the center of the right of way. The
          first section of cork is placed along the center line. It is also a good
          idea to stagger the cork so that you don't have 2 strips ending at the same
          place.

          A. If you are laying a cork roadbed, use rubber cement as a contact cement
          to glue the first half strip of cork over the track tracing. Note: Here I
          assume that you are using commercial cork strips that come in two halves
          with beveled edges.

          If possible try to start and end in a straight section, not in a curve.
          Using straight pins, pin the end in place and bend the cork around the
          curve. Pin the opposite end in place. Repeat with the other half of the
          cork strip. As a final touch, using the paring knife, follow the angle of
          the bevel in the cork to carve a ditch into the styrofoam base. You can
          angle the second cut to remove a strip of styrofoam to produce a shallow or
          deep outside edge to the ditch depending on the geography of the track right
          of way. If you like, finish the roadbed with a coat of black acrylic paint
          straight from the tube.

          Copyright 2000 Jeffrey MacHan

          Have fun laying trackm ;-)

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • D. A. Karp
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
            Tim,

            I have a page on laying track on cork, and eventually adding ballast
            (optional) here:
            http://www.creativelement.com/z/articles/ballast.html

            I've used IBL cork because I liked the way it looks, but you could use any
            type. Strips are easiest, and with the tiny size of Z, bend easily for the
            curves. I highly recommend hot melt glue because it dries in 20 seconds,
            eliminating the need for pins. It's also easy to pull up if you make a
            mistake or need to move the track.

            -David