Re: Shopping spree in Redmond, WA

  • zscale@retrograde.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
      Jeffrey --

      If you venture across the lake into downtown Seattle, don't miss Magic Mous=
      e Toys, where I got my start in Z. They sell Märklin only, with a decent sel=
      ection of Z and HO and a few Maxi items. Unfortunately, their resident train=
      expert no longer works there, but they still keep Z in stock. It's a ten-mi=
      nute walk from my place, and about a five-minute walk from the train station=
      -- thanks to your report, I have half a mind to hop an Amtrak to Tacoma one=
      of these days. :)

      -- Andy

      > Last weekend I had the great pleasure of hitching up again with my pal, T=
      erry Sutfin, in Redmond, WA. For once I was tagging along as baggage while =
      my wife was travelling on business. Terry is a sleuth of the caliber of She=
      rlock Holmes when it comes to sniffing out hobby shops. He knows every HS f=
      rom Vancouver, BC to San Jose, CA.

      > This time 'round, we visited Tacoma Trains, in Tacoma, WA, Eastside Train=
      s in Kirkland, WA, Inside Gateway Hobbies, Abernathy's Hobbies and Hobbytown=
      USA in Redmond, WA. Of course we were looking for Z scale in any form.

      > Our first stop was at Inside Gateway where the owner ignored us from the =
      moment we stepped through the door. I made 2 complete circuits of the store=
      without finding anything of interest. Terry bought some (GASP) HO detail p=
      arts! There was no Z to be found anywhere.

      > After a short hop down the road, we invaded Abernathy's Hobbies. This sh=
      op was obviously a radio-control Mecca for the area. Once again there was n=
      o Z but I did spot several nice 1-200 scale plastic ship models including th=
      e Smit London oil rig tender and several nice historical sailing vessels. I=
      especially liked the Golden Hind (Sir Francis Drake fame) which would make =
      an intriguing dockside vessel as a tourist attraction.

      > Terry left with some finds from the $1 box. We also found a bottle of el=
      ectrical motor cleaning fluid. I didn't think that I could take it on the =
      plane home with me so Terry will test it on one of his GP38-2s and tell the =
      list how it works ;-)

      > We took a look at Eastside Trains which occupies a beautiful depot style =
      building in downtown Kirkland. It is closed Sunday so I made a return trip =
      the following Tuesday to check it out. The store is very impressive and hou=
      ses a Lionel and large scale repair facility. There was a display case with=
      several Marklin starter sets, passenger and freight car sets. There were a=
      bout 10 electric locos from the SSB and the RHB. The track selection was ve=
      ry complete. I was happy to see several building kits from Marklin, Faller,=
      Kibri and Vollmer. There was no Micro-trains to be seen. I finally gave u=
      p pretending to be the Invisible Man and purchased a guide to building hand-=
      made turnouts in NN3. I'm sure that it will come in very handy in the next =
      couple of months as I tackle the Z scale track work that I plan to build.

      > See the attachments for a view of Eastside Trains.
      >
      > In the evening, we made a trip further afield to visit Tacoma trains. Th=
      e store had no Z scale on display but Terry has insider knowledge! He knew =
      that the owner had 2 cardboard boxes of Micro-trains rolling stock under the=
      counter. WOW! There were about 80 cars all together. They were being off=
      ered at their sticker price minus 30%. I was very tempted to empty my bank =
      account but after going through the boxes about 10 times, I finally remember=
      ed my New Year's resolution...I eventually checked out with 2 UP tankers, 2 =
      flat cars and a bulk end flat. Terry found a Z scale ruler which he offered=
      me since he already had one.

      > Terry picked up a handful of cars to fill gaps in his shelves. He mentio=
      ned that he needs to build a couple of Bill Kronenberger's modules to be abl=
      e to run some longer trains. I think that Terry is looking forward to next =
      year's National Train Show to be able to play on the Zbend modular layout. =
      So am I!!

      > We regretfully left the store at closing...there are still 50-60 cars in =
      the boxes. Just ask to see them at the counter.

      > The last stop on the tour was at the Hobbytown USA just across the street=
      from my hotel. I was looking for a milling tool after reading Ole's last m=
      essages. <GRIN> I did discover 2 boxes of Marklin straight track sections. =
      You never know what you will find, even in such unlikely places.

      > The nicest piece that I am bringing back home with me is a gift that Terr=
      y gave me. He lettered a Pennzee 3 bay hopper for the Val Ease Central. It=
      sports road number VEC2001! Thanks Terry!

      > Sorry about the length of this but this what happens when I have 2 hours =
      to kill in an airport waiting lounge.

      > Happy Z scaling to all,
      > Jeffrey MacHan
    • sutfin
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
        Jeffrey,

        NO, NO, NO, not on the GP-38s. They run perfectly now! The smoothest,
        quietest engines I have. But, will try that motor cleaner on the Marklin
        8800s, and the F-7s, both Marklin and Micro Trains, and let you know how
        it performs, or if it does.

        As Andy mentioned in his post, there are a few other hobby shops in the
        Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area that we need to call on, on your next trip
        back to GOD's Country.

        Terry
      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
          You're right, Andy! I have been to the Magic Mouse. I spotted it while
          taking time off during a convention in Seattle. I really enjoyed it. The Z
          scale was very well presented. Nobody knew anything about Z but then again
          who would expect them to :-)

          Any other suggestions for HSSs?

          Cheers,
          Jeffrey MacHan

          >From: zscale@...
          >To: z_scale@egroups.com
          >Subject: [z_scale] Re: Shopping spree in Redmond, WA
          >Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 21:18:12 -0000
          >
          >Jeffrey --
          >
          >If you venture across the lake into downtown Seattle, don't miss Magic
          >Mous=
          >e Toys, where I got my start in Z. They sell M�rklin only, with a decent
          >sel=
          >ection of Z and HO and a few Maxi items. Unfortunately, their resident
          >train=
          > expert no longer works there, but they still keep Z in stock. It's a
          >ten-mi=
          >nute walk from my place, and about a five-minute walk from the train
          >station=
          > -- thanks to your report, I have half a mind to hop an Amtrak to Tacoma
          >one=
          > of these days. :)
          >
          >-- Andy

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • jjabour
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2000
            David

            All these are on Long Island NY

            Large selection of Marklin Z track
            Medium selection of rolling stock
            J&D Hobbies
            Route 110
            Melville NY

            Medium selection of Marklin Z track and rolling stock
            Willis Hobbies
            Willis Ave
            Mineola NY

            Meduim selection of Marklin Z track and rolling stock
            and will order any parts and get them in in a timely
            fashion and give you a discount on them
            Some time has used collections available
            Caboose Hobbies
            Wall St
            Huntington NY

            John

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2000
              Thanks
              And so ambitious putting full addresses and phone numbers
              Good job
              John