Shopping spree in Redmond, WA

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
      Hi gang,

      Last weekend I had the great pleasure of hitching up again with my pal, Terry Sutfin, in Redmond, WA. For once I was tagging along as baggage while my wife was travelling on business. Terry is a sleuth of the caliber of Sherlock Holmes when it comes to sniffing out hobby shops. He knows every HS from Vancouver, BC to San Jose, CA.

      This time 'round, we visited Tacoma Trains, in Tacoma, WA, Eastside Trains in Kirkland, WA, Inside Gateway Hobbies, Abernathy's Hobbies and Hobbytown USA in Redmond, WA. Of course we were looking for Z scale in any form.

      Our first stop was at Inside Gateway where the owner ignored us from the moment we stepped through the door. I made 2 complete circuits of the store without finding anything of interest. Terry bought some (GASP) HO detail parts! There was no Z to be found anywhere.

      After a short hop down the road, we invaded Abernathy's Hobbies. This shop was obviously a radio-control Mecca for the area. Once again there was no Z but I did spot several nice 1-200 scale plastic ship models including the Smit London oil rig tender and several nice historical sailing vessels. I especially liked the Golden Hind (Sir Francis Drake fame) which would make an intriguing dockside vessel as a tourist attraction.

      Terry left with some finds from the $1 box. We also found a bottle of electrical motor cleaning fluid. I didn't think that I could take it on the plane home with me so Terry will test it on one of his GP38-2s and tell the list how it works ;-)

      We took a look at Eastside Trains which occupies a beautiful depot style building in downtown Kirkland. It is closed Sunday so I made a return trip the following Tuesday to check it out. The store is very impressive and houses a Lionel and large scale repair facility. There was a display case with several Marklin starter sets, passenger and freight car sets. There were about 10 electric locos from the SSB and the RHB. The track selection was very complete. I was happy to see several building kits from Marklin, Faller, Kibri and Vollmer. There was no Micro-trains to be seen. I finally gave up pretending to be the Invisible Man and purchased a guide to building hand-made turnouts in NN3. I'm sure that it will come in very handy in the next couple of months as I tackle the Z scale track work that I plan to build.

      See the attachments for a view of Eastside Trains.

      In the evening, we made a trip further afield to visit Tacoma trains. The store had no Z scale on display but Terry has insider knowledge! He knew that the owner had 2 cardboard boxes of Micro-trains rolling stock under the counter. WOW! There were about 80 cars all together. They were being offered at their sticker price minus 30%. I was very tempted to empty my bank account but after going through the boxes about 10 times, I finally remembered my New Year's resolution...I eventually checked out with 2 UP tankers, 2 flat cars and a bulk end flat. Terry found a Z scale ruler which he offered me since he already had one.

      Terry picked up a handful of cars to fill gaps in his shelves. He mentioned that he needs to build a couple of Bill Kronenberger's modules to be able to run some longer trains. I think that Terry is looking forward to next year's National Train Show to be able to play on the Zbend modular layout. So am I!!

      We regretfully left the store at closing...there are still 50-60 cars in the boxes. Just ask to see them at the counter.

      The last stop on the tour was at the Hobbytown USA just across the street from my hotel. I was looking for a milling tool after reading Ole's last messages. <GRIN> I did discover 2 boxes of Marklin straight track sections. You never know what you will find, even in such unlikely places.

      The nicest piece that I am bringing back home with me is a gift that Terry gave me. He lettered a Pennzee 3 bay hopper for the Val Ease Central. It sports road number VEC2001! Thanks Terry!

      Sorry about the length of this but this what happens when I have 2 hours to kill in an airport waiting lounge.

      Happy Z scaling to all,
      Jeffrey MacHan
    • zscale@retrograde.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
        Jeffrey --

        If you venture across the lake into downtown Seattle, don't miss Magic Mous=
        e Toys, where I got my start in Z. They sell Märklin only, with a decent sel=
        ection of Z and HO and a few Maxi items. Unfortunately, their resident train=
        expert no longer works there, but they still keep Z in stock. It's a ten-mi=
        nute walk from my place, and about a five-minute walk from the train station=
        -- thanks to your report, I have half a mind to hop an Amtrak to Tacoma one=
        of these days. :)

        -- Andy

      • sutfin
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
          Jeffrey,

          NO, NO, NO, not on the GP-38s. They run perfectly now! The smoothest,
          quietest engines I have. But, will try that motor cleaner on the Marklin
          8800s, and the F-7s, both Marklin and Micro Trains, and let you know how
          it performs, or if it does.

          As Andy mentioned in his post, there are a few other hobby shops in the
          Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area that we need to call on, on your next trip
          back to GOD's Country.

          Terry
        • Jeffrey MacHan
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
            You're right, Andy! I have been to the Magic Mouse. I spotted it while
            taking time off during a convention in Seattle. I really enjoyed it. The Z
            scale was very well presented. Nobody knew anything about Z but then again
            who would expect them to :-)

            Any other suggestions for HSSs?

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey MacHan

            >From: zscale@...
            >To: z_scale@egroups.com
            >Subject: [z_scale] Re: Shopping spree in Redmond, WA
            >Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 21:18:12 -0000
            >
            >Jeffrey --
            >
            >If you venture across the lake into downtown Seattle, don't miss Magic
            >Mous=
            >e Toys, where I got my start in Z. They sell M�rklin only, with a decent
            >sel=
            >ection of Z and HO and a few Maxi items. Unfortunately, their resident
            >train=
            > expert no longer works there, but they still keep Z in stock. It's a
            >ten-mi=
            >nute walk from my place, and about a five-minute walk from the train
            >station=
            > -- thanks to your report, I have half a mind to hop an Amtrak to Tacoma
            >one=
            > of these days. :)
            >
            >-- Andy

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • jjabour
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2000
              David

              All these are on Long Island NY

              Large selection of Marklin Z track
              Medium selection of rolling stock
              J&D Hobbies
              Route 110
              Melville NY

              Medium selection of Marklin Z track and rolling stock
              Willis Hobbies
              Willis Ave
              Mineola NY

              Meduim selection of Marklin Z track and rolling stock
              and will order any parts and get them in in a timely
              fashion and give you a discount on them
              Some time has used collections available
              Caboose Hobbies
              Wall St
              Huntington NY

              John

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2000
                Thanks
                And so ambitious putting full addresses and phone numbers
                Good job
                John