Re: [z_scale] ties and glasses to see them

  • Jay & Anne Greer
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2000
      Hi Ole,
      Thank you for your very interesting reply to my letter! It is always a
      pleasure to hear from you.

      About the magnifying lenses, at present, I am setting up for a product demo
      meeting with a representative from the optical company I will be dealing
      with. I do not have a price quote from them yet, however I know that it
      will not be cheap. In my case, it is now a necessity and not a luxury. So I
      will have to go ahead and bite the bullet.

      Some times it is good to not rush into projects without fully thinking them
      out and so it is with your ties. I believe that I have come up with a
      method for making them that will be quite simple and allow me to make them
      by the thousands in just a few hours! I remember you mentioning that they
      should be 1mmX1mm. Am I correct, or is it 1.5mm? I have your old letter
      buried in my cyber files but it would be quicker if you could just give me
      the size again. If it is OK with you, I would send you the ties uncut for
      length which would allow you to cut them as needed. A simple guillotine
      chopper with a stop for length should do the trick.

      I am saddened to report that my friend and mentor Rolly Kalyjian passed away
      of a heart attack last week of a heart attack. I mention this to you
      because Rolly was the best craftsman I have ever known. Whether he was
      designing or building a boat or a model boat he was unsurpassed as a
      craftsman. He gave me a job pushing broom in his boat shop when I was
      twelve and always was there to help a kid who loved the trade. Without him I
      most likely would have ended up being an auto mechanic. But fate has turned
      me into what he was, a person who will accept only the finest work be it
      full size or miniature. My wife Anne and I did and article on him for
      Wooden Boat Magazine several years ago. I was about a scale model he had
      made of his own sailing yacht WHITE WINGS. It is so accurate that in the
      photos, it can fool the eye into thinking it is real! All metal parts are
      gold plated. The lights work and the tiny Diesel engine runs, via a hidden
      electric motor. He won the International Model Yacht competition in 1998 as
      being the best model builder in the world. I would be pleased and honored
      to send you a copy of the article if it would be of interest to you.

      Well, I think I have chewed on your ear long enough.

      Skoll,

      Jay