Re: [z_scale] Re: New Products Announcement from ASM

  • d.f.avila@att.net
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 3, 2004
      Betcha the guys out in Washington can show you photos of a few 7x7's or
      whatever riding down the tracks on the backs of a faltbed. 'course the wings
      are on backorder....
    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 3, 2004
        > What kind of airplanes are you looking for? 1:200 and 1:250 are common

        Common, yes, but they LOOK 1:200 and 1:250 (and many of those are not
        true to scale).
        Personally I'd love to see early, WWI, Golden Age & WWII (roughly 1903
        thru 1945). Birds like Jenny's, Tiger Moths, Cubs, Nieuport 17s,
        Sopwiths, Mustangs, Lightnings, Vegas, 243's, Clippers, Wacos, Gee Bees,
        Howards, Ikes, Fokkers, TriMotors, DC3, Constellations...and the list
        goes on :)

        Others modeling more modern eras might want some of the more common
        Cessnas, Pipers and Beechcrafts.

        Commercial airports take up a LOT of space...private airports, strips,
        or even just barnstorming in a field take up a lot less space and, to
        me, have a lot more character.
        --
        John Duino <jduino@...>
        AeroHead Designs
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
          In a message dated 2/3/2004 8:35:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          ascus4@... writes:
          AIRPLANES.
          We want airplanes. I'd buy a bunch of those from you
          if you had them. My layout wants an airport but no can find the
          birds.
          What kind of airplanes are you looking for? 1:200 and 1:250 are common scales
          for replica aircraft. Commercial jets are the easiest to find, but there are
          DC-3's and other prop jobs out there as well.

        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
            Hello ascus4 ? ,

            you chanted: "air planes" is what we need.

            I agree, but as long as you can live with a little difference in
            scale, and if you are looking for commercial airlines, then you might
            look out for Herpa. They produce a wide selection of planes in 1:200
            scale. The English website is here:

            http://www.herpa.de/herpa_e.htm

            check out

            Wings in the menue on the left, or

            scale in the menue at the bottom of the page.

            Right now I'm looking at item on my desktop no: 550420 a beautiful
            Airbus A321-100 in Lufthansa colors...
            ...and with a mouse painted on the body behind the backdoors.

            --
            have fun

            Uwe
          • Jens Wimmel
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
              You want airplanes?

              See 1:200 airplanes on http://www.herpa.de/herpa_e.htm

              Regards

              Jens

              > These trucks are only a start of the vehicles I hope to produce.
              > Stay tuned and PLEASE send me your ideas and wants.
              > See ya,
              > Randy
              > ASM

              AIRPLANES.
              We want airplanes. I'd buy a bunch of those from you
              if you had them. My layout wants an airport but no can find the
              birds.

              Everyone...
              <chant>
              air planes
              air planes
              air planes
              </chant>

              "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
              DoseZ!

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cq176bq/M=268585.4464812.5643763.1261774/D=eg
              roupweb/S=1706533816:HM/EXP=1075942801/A=1950447/R=0/*http:/ashnin.com/c
              lk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=4464812&yhad=1950447> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=268585.4464812.5643763.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1950447/rand=393291845>

              _____

            • ascus4
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                > Hello ascus4 ? ,
                >
                > you chanted: "air planes" is what we need.
                >
                > I agree, but as long as you can live with a little difference in
                > scale, and if you are looking for commercial airlines,

                Those are nice but what I really want are piston powered aircraft.
                WWII era as well as civil aircraft from various eras.

                Thanks,
              • ascus4
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, dpstripe@a... wrote:
                  > In a message dated 2/3/2004 8:35:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > ascus4@y... writes:
                  > AIRPLANES.
                  > We want airplanes. I'd buy a bunch of those from you
                  > if you had them. My layout wants an airport but no can find the
                  > birds.
                  > What kind of airplanes are you looking for? 1:200 and 1:250 are common
                  scales
                  > for replica aircraft. Commercial jets are the easiest to find, but there are
                  > DC-3's and other prop jobs out there as well.

                  Really? I have searched and just haven't found them.
                  I'm mostly interested in piston powered craft. WWII era fighters as well as civil
                  aircraft. The sort of stuff that you would see at the local, small airport.
                  Someone earlier posted the link http://www.herpa.de/herpa_e.htm.
                  Do you have any others?
                  I'd love to know.

                  Thanks,
                • Uwe Liermann
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                    Hello W,

                    > Those are nice but what I really want are piston powered aircraft.
                    > WWII era as well as civil aircraft from various eras.

                    Herpa item no:

                    550581

                    SCNR ;-)

                    --
                    regards

                    Uwe
                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                      > AIRPLANES.
                      > We want airplanes. I'd buy a bunch of those from
                      > you
                      > if you had them. My layout wants an airport but no
                      > can find the
                      > birds.
                      >
                      > Everyone...
                      > <chant>
                      > air planes
                      > air planes
                      > air planes
                      > </chant>

                      Guys, please be reminded that Hasegawa releases a very
                      nice selection of 1:200 airliners (including a very
                      nice Douglas DC3 / Dakota which should be very
                      convenient on a small airport), a scale which is not
                      far from 1:220. Of course this doesn't fit with a
                      remote airstrip in the deep californian desert, as
                      that which is located at Amboy, CA on the BNSF Barstow
                      to Needles, but it should be a point of departure. In
                      the same 1:200 scale, there are military airplanes
                      ,essentially airlift transport acft, from Italeri: I
                      have a Lockheed C141B Starlifter, and a TU95 Bear
                      (although this one won't have any convenient location
                      on my Tehachapi Pass!).
                      Cheers,
                      Dominique

                    • M. Gottschalch
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                        ascus4 wrote:

                        > AIRPLANES.

                        Halmark has a nice little biplane on floats that is so close to scale as
                        makes no diff. One should be able to take the floats can be taken off
                        and replace them with wheels without too much trouble. Also if you look
                        in the toy stores at the micro machine you can often find planes that
                        might fit. I just bought a set of Corgi planes for the 100 years of
                        flight that has several that will fit. The good thing about planes is
                        that the ones which will fit on a layout can usually span the time frome
                        from when they were made right up to the present. Remember that a short
                        2500' runway will still be about 11' long in Z if you were to show more
                        then just a very small part of an airport.
                        --
                        Manfred G
                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004

                          > Those are nice but what I really want are piston
                          > powered aircraft.
                          > WWII era as well as civil aircraft from various
                          > eras.
                          >
                          > Thanks,

                          I have still in mind my kind little Hasegawa 1:200 DC3
                          which is still in its box in spare parts. It will find
                          a place on my diorama showing Amboy, CA (Needles to
                          Barstow BNSF subdivision), because at this location
                          there is an actual airstrip.
                          Cheers,
                          Dominique

                        • ascus4
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "M. Gottschalch" <megott@a...> wrote:
                            > ascus4 wrote:
                            > >
                            > > AIRPLANES.
                            >
                            > Halmark has a nice little biplane on floats that is so close to scale as
                            > makes no diff. One should be able to take the floats can be taken off
                            > and replace them with wheels without too much trouble. Also if you look
                            > in the toy stores at the micro machine you can often find planes that
                            > might fit. I just bought a set of Corgi planes for the 100 years of
                            > flight that has several that will fit. The good thing about planes is
                            > that the ones which will fit on a layout can usually span the time frome
                            > from when they were made right up to the present. Remember that a short
                            > 2500' runway will still be about 11' long in Z if you were to show more
                            > then just a very small part of an airport.
                            > --
                            > Manfred G

                            The Hallmark planes are very nice. They have put one out per year for the last
                            6 or 8 years and I have them all. They are nicely detailed and look good.
                            However, they are out of scale.

                            I looked for micro machines at the local toy store but they had none.

                          • rsmidt1
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                              I always try to keep my eye open for anything that might fit in with
                              Z scale. This is what I've found for aircraft:

                              -1/200th DC-3 - Hasegawa
                              -1/200th C-130 Hercules - Hasegawa
                              -a number of 1/200th jet airliners from Hasegawa
                              -Airliners from Herpa
                              -Revell-Germany Helicopter models (only the attack helicopters
                              actually scale out to near z scale, others are closer to N scale)
                              -a number of '40's-60's propliners in 1/200th from Western Models
                              (somewhat expensive)
                              http://www.western-models.co.uk/Aircraft_Retail_Price_List_Ex_VAT.pdf
                              -1/200th WWII era aircraft from HBM models
                              http://www.luft46.com/hbm/luftproj.html

                              Various toys that scale out close to 1/200th - 1/250th:
                              -the generic die-cast airplane three packs from Target have a 1/230th
                              C-130 and an SR-71 that is (I think 1/210th)
                              -CH-53 from Maisto comes out to about 1/190th (a little big)
                              -Generic Lear Jet in airport set comes out to about 1/190th
                              -Micro-machines UH-60 is 1/230th (current release)
                              -Micro-machines Piper Cherokee is about 1/170th, but the similar
                              looking prototype Piper Cherokee Warrior (different wing shape) would
                              scale out to about 1/200 (current issue)
                              -B-24 and B-17 by Maisto may be close to z scale

                              Note: most small diecast aircraft toys are between 1/120 and 1/144th.

                              Good Luck,
                              Randy Smidt
                              Clifton, VA
                            • John & Sue Bartolotto
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                                Here are two additional fantastic manufactures.

                                For airplanes (of all eras and types - civilian and military), airport
                                structures and vehicles in 1:200 try Western Models
                                http://www.western-models.co.uk/

                                For airplanes and helicopters (of all eras and types - civilian and
                                military) in 1:200 try HBM Models http://www.luft46.com/hbm/hbm.html

                                John

                                Ztrack Columnist and MO Regional Representative

                                John Bartolotto
                                Nansen Street Models

                                P.O. Box 98

                                Carlisle, PA 17013
                                <http://www.nansenstreetmodels.com/> http://www.nansenstreetmodels.com/
                                jsbart@...
                                717-448-1804

                              • Robert Charles Axtell
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                                  Randy, et al.

                                  This may or may not be a popular idea, but, since you asked, I have
                                  long wanted to have a Z scale trailer court.

                                  Regards,

                                  Bob Axtell

                                  >Hi Group,
                                  >Thanks Manfred.
                                  >These trucks are only a start of the vehicles I hope to produce.
                                  >Stay tuned and PLEASE send me your ideas and wants.
                                  >See ya,
                                  >Randy
                                  >ASM

                                  "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
                                  DoseZ!

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • John Duino
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004

                                    > Randy, et al.
                                    >
                                    > This may or may not be a popular idea, but, since you asked, I have
                                    > long wanted to have a Z scale trailer court.

                                    I saw this last year at a show in LA...finally uploaded the movie...

                                    This is the perfect reason to have a trailer park.

                                    WARNING: the movie is HUGE (~5MB)

                                    For those not wanting to download, it's an HO layout with a WORKING
                                    tornado that sweeps down and through a small town (and trailer park)!
                                    Hilarious but very ingenious! Lightning flashes, too!

                                    http://photos.aerohead.com/trains

                                    It is part way down the first page, entitled "Model trailer park." Feel
                                    free to nose around the other pics/movies as well.

                                    --
                                    John Duino
                                    AeroHead Designs
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                                      >This may or may not be a popular idea, but, since you asked, I have
                                      >long wanted to have a Z scale trailer court.

                                      >Regards,

                                      >Bob Axtell

                                      Do you mean a "Trailer Park"? Where 'House Trailers' park/are set up. In
                                      Z Track there is a manufacturer of trailer homes.

                                    • M. Gottschalch
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                                        ascus4 wrote:

                                        > The Hallmark planes are very nice. They have put one out per year for the last
                                        > 6 or 8 years and I have them all. They are nicely detailed and look good.
                                        > However, they are out of scale.

                                        The only one I have is the Curtis racer. While it's true that it is
                                        supposed to have a wingspan of 1.2" but is actually closer to 1.5. I
                                        can't really see that it makes that much of a differance. I have a micro
                                        machines helicopter that was in a fire engine pack. It is a bit smaller
                                        then 1:200 but fixed at the end of a thin spring wire stuck into a
                                        mountain near the back of the layout it works just fine.
                                        --
                                        Manfred
                                        63 E FHC
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                                          Ted

                                          Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant that I would like
                                          trailer homes in Z. I could set up the park myself. Who makes these
                                          trailer homes?

                                          Bob Axtell

                                          >>> ted_lamar@... 2/4/2004 1:52:04 PM >>>

                                          >This may or may not be a popular idea, but, since you asked, I have
                                          >long wanted to have a Z scale trailer court.

                                          >Regards,

                                          >Bob Axtell

                                          Do you mean a "Trailer Park"? Where 'House Trailers' park/are set up.
                                          In
                                          Z Track there is a manufacturer of trailer homes.

                                          "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
                                          DoseZ!

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                                            I posted this once before about 5 hours ago, but yahoo seems to have
                                            dropped it.

[...]

                                            looking, and larger prototype Piper Cherokee Warrior (different wing

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique
                                              <ddechamp71@y...> wrote:

                                              > Guys, please be reminded that Hasegawa releases a very
                                              > nice selection of 1:200 airliners
                                              Didn't see much for Hasegawa. Do you have a better link??

                                              Thanks,
                                            • Elizabeth Hayes
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                                                Don`t forget the Bachmann mini-planes series, they are out of production now
                                                but they always seem to be in good supply at train shows. The price guide
                                                to model aircraft has a list of what the scale is for every plane in the
                                                series, you could go to a book store and make a list of all of the planes
                                                that are 1:220 (or close enough to suit your own model needs) without having
                                                to buy the book

                                                >From: "rsmidt1" <RSmidt@...>
                                                >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                                >Subject: [z_scale] Airplanes
                                                >Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:17:58 -0000
                                                >
                                                >I always try to keep my eye open for anything that might fit in with
                                                >Z scale. This is what I've found for aircraft:
                                                >
                                                >-1/200th DC-3 - Hasegawa
                                                >-1/200th C-130 Hercules - Hasegawa
                                                >-a number of 1/200th jet airliners from Hasegawa
                                                >-Airliners from Herpa
                                                >-Revell-Germany Helicopter models (only the attack helicopters
                                                >actually scale out to near z scale, others are closer to N scale)
                                                >-a number of '40's-60's propliners in 1/200th from Western Models
                                                >(somewhat expensive)
                                                >http://www.western-models.co.uk/Aircraft_Retail_Price_List_Ex_VAT.pdf
                                                >-1/200th WWII era aircraft from HBM models
                                                >http://www.luft46.com/hbm/luftproj.html
                                                >
                                                >Various toys that scale out close to 1/200th - 1/250th:
                                                >-the generic die-cast airplane three packs from Target have a 1/230th
                                                >C-130 and an SR-71 that is (I think 1/210th)
                                                >-CH-53 from Maisto comes out to about 1/190th (a little big)
                                                >-Generic Lear Jet in airport set comes out to about 1/190th
                                                >-Micro-machines UH-60 is 1/230th (current release)
                                                >-Micro-machines Piper Cherokee is about 1/170th, but the similar
                                                >looking prototype Piper Cherokee Warrior (different wing shape) would
                                                >scale out to about 1/200 (current issue)
                                                >-B-24 and B-17 by Maisto may be close to z scale
                                                >
                                                >Note: most small diecast aircraft toys are between 1/120 and 1/144th.
                                                >
                                                >Good Luck,
                                                >Randy Smidt
                                                >Clifton, VA

                                                Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
                                              • Elizabeth Hayes
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 4, 2004
                                                  if you want WW II planes, the B24 Liberator model in the Maitso/ Road
                                                  Champs/ whatever other name maufacturer is using this mold series scales out
                                                  to have the proper 50 wing span when measured alongside a Micro-Trains 50
                                                  boxcar. It comes in about 4 different paint schemes if you buy each one
                                                  from all of the different sellers who use this same mold You can use it for
                                                  either flying at home over a USA prototype layout or for bombing German
                                                  trains in a European prototype layout, plus it is is railroad related by its
                                                  nickname "boxcar with wings" (not to be confused with that later transport
                                                  plane with the cargo doors on the rear of the fuselage called "the flying
                                                  boxcar" )

                                                  >From: de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>
                                                  >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                                  >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Re: Airplanes (was: New Products Announcement from
                                                  >ASM)
                                                  >Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:23:01 +0100 (CET)
                                                  >

                                                  > > Those are nice but what I really want are piston
                                                  > > powered aircraft.
                                                  > > WWII era as well as civil aircraft from various
                                                  > > eras.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thanks,
                                                  > >
                                                  >I have still in mind my kind little Hasegawa 1:200 DC3
                                                  >which is still in its box in spare parts. It will find
                                                  >a place on my diorama showing Amboy, CA (Needles to
                                                  >Barstow BNSF subdivision), because at this location
                                                  >there is an actual airstrip.
                                                  >Cheers,
                                                  >Dominique
                                                  >

                                                  >Yahoo! Mail : votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !
                                                  >Cr�ez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/

                                                  Find high-speed �net deals � comparison-shop your local providers here.
                                                  https://broadband.msn.com
                                                • Elizabeth Hayes
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Feb 23, 2004
                                                    hs anyone out therebought any of those WWII "armoured trains" as listed in
                                                    the HBM Models price list? anyone try to put trucks on them and run them on
                                                    a layout? they are a bit oversized at 1:200 but they are just resin cast

                                                    >From: "John & Sue Bartolotto" <jsbart@...>
                                                    >To: <z_scale@yahoogroups.com>
                                                    >Subject: [z_scale] Airplanes, Jets and Airport Structures
                                                    >Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:31:21 -0500
                                                    >
                                                    >Here are two additional fantastic manufactures.
                                                    >
                                                    >For airplanes (of all eras and types - civilian and military), airport
                                                    >structures and vehicles in 1:200 try Western Models
                                                    >http://www.western-models.co.uk/
                                                    >
                                                    >For airplanes and helicopters (of all eras and types - civilian and
                                                    >military) in 1:200 try HBM Models http://www.luft46.com/hbm/hbm.html
                                                    >
                                                    >John
                                                    >
                                                    >Ztrack Columnist and MO Regional Representative
                                                    >
                                                    >John Bartolotto
                                                    >Nansen Street Models
                                                    >
                                                    >P.O. Box 98
                                                    >
                                                    >Carlisle, PA 17013
                                                    > <http://www.nansenstreetmodels.com/> http://www.nansenstreetmodels.com/
                                                    >jsbart@...
                                                    >717-448-1804

                                                    Take off on a romantic weekend or a family adventure to these great U.S.
                                                    locations. http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx