Re: Look what went by my office/PDX GATS

  • Charles Kuttner
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      On Feb 1, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Loren Snyder wrote:
      > Hi Charles, Your recollection of 4449 being in Albany
      > years ago brings back some fond memories for me also. .....

      > You haven't lived until you have
      > risked life and limb chasing a monster like 4449 !

      Not quite off-topic, but I highly recommend the film The Station Agent,
      about a train fanatic who happens to be a dwarf and a hermit, settles
      into an old train depot he inherits in a small town. It's not a comedy,
      but a really sensitive film.

      And Loren, I was probably at the station when you were there, but
      unfortunately wasn't nutso enough to chase the train. Sounds like The
      Dukes of Hazzard, not that I ever watched the show.

      > Charles, hope to meet you in Portland at GATS on the 14th and 15th.
      > I'll be
      > passing through Albany on my way up to Portland and may stop by the
      > station
      > and reminisce about yesteryear. Keep Zmiling, Loren S

      Loren, if you're enough of a fanatic, you could take Amtrak up from
      Eugene and I'd give you a ride up to GATS, if the train schedule
      permits.

      Several Z folks have talked about meeting at Portland GATS [Great
      American Train Show, with two Z layouts expected!!!]. I can't do
      Saturday, how about perhaps 2 PM on the 15th, by the east entrance,
      perhaps wearing something distinctive so we can recognize each other?

      GATS is $6 with a canned food donation or coupon from gats.com. Parking
      is absolutely ridiculous there, $7 per car or $6 if you're carpooling 3
      or more people. And there's no where to park within a mile other than
      by paying for it. [After May, the MAX light rail will be going out
      there!!!!]

      chas
      Charles Kuttner, MD
      Portland, OR
      http://cmug.com/~ckuttner/

      Otherwise known as:
      Col. Cornelius Kuttner
      Proprietor, psychopathist and microferroequinologist, Oakville &
      Poorfarm RR
    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Charles Kuttner <ckuttner@j...> wrote:
          > [Great American Train Show, with two Z layouts expected!!!].

          I just got word there will also be two modules coming from Seattle. So, we will have
          at least 4 layout contributions -- possibly a fifth depending on a colleague of Terry.

          And, between the two days there seems like there will be a dozen or so attendees with
          Z as a specific (only?) focus. (Be sure to come by Terry's PVDC RR at 1pm eiother/
          nboth days.) From which I will conclude that GATS is getting "Great"; and we'll do
          even better next time.

          Also -- for those interested in having supper together on Saturday --- contact Terry
          directly, so he has an idea of interest level and what type of place would be
          appropriate.

          Looking forward to seein' y'all.

          ELF
        • Charles Kuttner
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
            "elf_rohirrim" <elf-rohirrim@...> wrote:

            >I just got word there will also be two modules coming
            >from Seattle.
            >So, we will have
            >at least 4 layout contributions -- possibly a fifth
            >depending on a
            >colleague of Terry.

            >And, between the two days there seems like there will
            >be a dozen or so attendees with Z as a specific
            >(only?) focus.
            > From which I will conclude that GATS is >getting
            "Great";

            I agree with it becoming Great in the sense of
            wonderful. In scale, it's getting SMALL (or perhaps
            just z-tiny)

            chas