Re: [z_scale] Just in time for Halloween, the coupler questions keep coming up

  • Ed Scullin
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 20, 2000
      George
      I would suggest mostly Bettendorfs and some roller bearings on the
      newer cars, very few arch bars, only on the older stuff. Since I don't
      do marklin cars, I am not sure what drill and tap you are refering to.
      The drill and tap for mounting Micro Train coupler pockets IE #905s is a
      number 56 and an 0-80 tap. Depending on the quantity you are going to
      do, go anywhere from a hand held pin vise to a mini chuck for cordless
      screw drivers to a full up drill press. You might want to look at the
      newest Micro Mark tool catalog for ideas and prices.
      Next time look at the Micro Trains cars and also the PennZee hoppers.
      Good Luck
      Ed Scullin
    • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 21, 2000
        The screw supplied with the Z/Nn3 couplers is 00-90, the tap drill is a #62 and the clearance drill is #56, this from the Micro Trains coupler manual. Before Nelson Grey developed a push pin or bolster pin to hold the trucks onto car frames we used 1-72 pan head screw for that job. I am sorry I do not know what the tap drill sizes are that correspond to this screw and thread size.

        To add to what Ed said about trucks archbar were common on double sheathed wood box cars and reefers and flats. These were phased out entirely at the end of the steam era when you could no longer use the archbar truck on cars that would leave your railroad. Bettendorf trucks on all steel cars in the 50's 60' and 70's and all double sheathed wood cars and outside braced wood cars left operating in the 50's and 60's . I am not familiar with the more modern era so can't tell you at what point the roller bearing trucks started to replace the Bettendorf ones.

        Garth
      • Alex W
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 25, 2000
          > The drill and tap for mounting Micro Train coupler pockets IE #905s is a
          > number 56 and an 0-80 tap.

          Just a note, that should be a number 56 and a 00-90 tap. 0-80 is too big.

          - Alex W.

          "Trust in God.
          Believe in yourself.
          Dare to Dream."
        • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25, 2000
            Micro Trains p/n 1059

            Tap & Drill set
            the tap drill is a #62
            the clearance drill is a #56
            and the tap is 00-90

            If you use the #56 drill first you will not be able to tap the hole left by this drill.

            Garth