RE: [z_scale] Radius Suggestions

  • Fr. Merkle
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 11:56 AM
      Hi JTM!

      Isn't that a great book! I too have often wondered how to translate those
      radii into Z terms.....Well, Ron Rudell of London Bridge Toys in Emmaus, PA
      (advertizes in Ztrack) gave me the secret key to figuring it out.

      He said simply take the HO radius and divide it by 2.51 and that will give
      you the Z equivalent..

      For example:

      If a broad curve in HO is considederd to be 30"

      Then, 30 divided by 2.51 = 11.95 (or 12") in Z.

      SEE, it's easy!

      And to see what a Z curve radius would be in HO, then simply multiply the Z
      by 2.51

      Thus the largest regular stock Marklin curve (#8530) 8.7" is thus in HO:

      Z 8.7 x 2.51 = HO 21.83 (22")

      And as you can see that is a little short of what is considered a convential
      curve in HO which is 24"

      THUS Ron suggests the following radii in Z:

      Ron's suggestions for classifying Z radii curves
      VERY SHARP------Class 1--Marklin 8510--5.7" (HO equivalent 14")
      SHARP----------------Class 2--Marklin 8520--7.7" (HO equivalent 19")
      CONVENTIONAL--Class 3--Marklin 8530--8.7" (HO equivalent 22")
      BROAD---------------Class 4--FLEX-------------10.7" (HO equivalent 27")
      BROAD---------------Class 5--FLEX-------------11.7" (HO equivalent 29")
      VERY BROAD-----Class 6--FLEX-------------13.7" (HO equivalent 34")
      VERY BROAD-----Class 7--FLEX-------------14.7" (HO equivalent 37")

      I hope this helps you and others as much as it helped me!

      Call Ron for the rest of his suggestions:
      610-967-6887 (and say the FM sent you!)

      BYE!
      FM
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 4:02 PM
        thanks for the radius info

        it really is a great book. highly recommended.

        jim miller