Just in time for Halloween, the coupler questions keep coming up

  • George A.Vega
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 20 12:51 AM
      Ok all you guru's, I've finally decided to replace/remount my Marklin
      US rolling stock with MT trucks with couplers. I tried the MT901/902
      coupler drop-in's but it's not looking very prototypical. The Marklin
      US rolling stock has trucks that are mounted too far into the chassis
      to make them look or function correctly. After serious consultation
      with the multi-talented D.A. Karp, I need more information. Here are
      your fastest fingered questions:
      How do I remove the Marklin trucks; pull out, twist out, or yank out?
      I know I have to get the MT tap/drill set, but which drill do you
      recommend; Dremel, other preferences?
      Which trucks do you recommend for the steam to diesel transition era;
      Bettendorf, Archbar or Roller Bearing?
      What other tools do I need to complete the job? Any other suggestions
      (other than two aspirin)?
      I am sure to surprise all of you with one or two more questions.
      From this humble newbie, I am not worthy (on my knees).
      --

      "Truth is in the eye of the beholder"
      Guinan:STTNG

      George A. Vega
      voyager4@...
      voyager4@...
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 20 1:19 AM
        I can answer at least one of these:

        >How do I remove the Marklin trucks; pull out, twist out, or yank out?

        Trucks are usually held in with a snap-fit. The best way I've found to
        remove them without breaking or bending them is to stick a strong pair of
        gently-tapered tweezers in between the truck and the chassis, one point on
        each side of the pivot. As you push, the width of the tweezers will ease
        the truck out of its socket.

        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
      • Ole Rosted
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 20 4:14 AM
          On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 03:51:47 -0400, you wrote:

          >What other tools do I need to complete the job? Any other suggestions
          >(other than two aspirin)?

          You *must* have a couple of Valiums near at hand too, not to forget an
          extra bag of coupler-springs :-)

          regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
        • Ole Rosted
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 20 4:14 AM
            On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 03:51:47 -0400, you wrote:

            >What other tools do I need to complete the job? Any other suggestions
            >(other than two aspirin)?

            You *must* have a couple of Valiums near at hand too, not to forget an
            extra bag of coupler-springs :-)

            regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
          • Ed Scullin
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 20 4:54 PM
              George
              I would suggest mostly Bettendorfs and some roller bearings on the
              newer cars, very few arch bars, only on the older stuff. Since I don't
              do marklin cars, I am not sure what drill and tap you are refering to.
              The drill and tap for mounting Micro Train coupler pockets IE #905s is a
              number 56 and an 0-80 tap. Depending on the quantity you are going to
              do, go anywhere from a hand held pin vise to a mini chuck for cordless
              screw drivers to a full up drill press. You might want to look at the
              newest Micro Mark tool catalog for ideas and prices.
              Next time look at the Micro Trains cars and also the PennZee hoppers.
              Good Luck
              Ed Scullin
            • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 21 6:22 AM
                The screw supplied with the Z/Nn3 couplers is 00-90, the tap drill is a #62 and the clearance drill is #56, this from the Micro Trains coupler manual. Before Nelson Grey developed a push pin or bolster pin to hold the trucks onto car frames we used 1-72 pan head screw for that job. I am sorry I do not know what the tap drill sizes are that correspond to this screw and thread size.

                To add to what Ed said about trucks archbar were common on double sheathed wood box cars and reefers and flats. These were phased out entirely at the end of the steam era when you could no longer use the archbar truck on cars that would leave your railroad. Bettendorf trucks on all steel cars in the 50's 60' and 70's and all double sheathed wood cars and outside braced wood cars left operating in the 50's and 60's . I am not familiar with the more modern era so can't tell you at what point the roller bearing trucks started to replace the Bettendorf ones.

                Garth
              • Alex W
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 25 8:01 AM
                  > The drill and tap for mounting Micro Train coupler pockets IE #905s is a
                  > number 56 and an 0-80 tap.

                  Just a note, that should be a number 56 and a 00-90 tap. 0-80 is too big.

                  - Alex W.

                  "Trust in God.
                  Believe in yourself.
                  Dare to Dream."
                • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 25 6:48 PM
                    Micro Trains p/n 1059

                    Tap & Drill set
                    the tap drill is a #62
                    the clearance drill is a #56
                    and the tap is 00-90

                    If you use the #56 drill first you will not be able to tap the hole left by this drill.

                    Garth