Re: NTS report, Day 2...(OT)..track protection

  • BJKRONEN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 1999
      Jack, and the list:

      > Also, have you ever tried something called LPS-1? It is a contact cleaner,
      > lubricant that conducts electricity. I wipe a tiny amount on the track
      with
      > my fingertip. It works better than any amount of track cleaning, in my
      > experience. I have tried WD40, but it didn't work the same.

      I've seen that done before. It appears to work well.

      WD40?? Arrrrrgh !!! That's an petro based oil !!! Leave that in the garage
      for cars. The propellant is propane, so if you are a smoker, you are just
      asking for a "close shave" of your beard and eyelashes when the fireball
      explodes in your face.

      In N scale, it is more common to use Wahl Barber Oil for the same purpose.
      Commonly found at Sally Beauty Supply stores all over the USA (ask your wife
      where one is, ladies will know). Applied by putting one drop on the the end
      of the index finger, then touching the track every 3 feet (meter) lightly,
      all round. Likewise, it improves conductivity for many weeks without causing
      traction problems.

      I'm not sure what it is chemically, but its used to lubricate electric hair
      clippers in barber shops, without being greasy (and cause cut hair to stick
      to the blades). It looks like clear water. Who discovered it? No one seems
      to know. Its been used in N scale so long, the generation that discovered it
      has long since gone to the roundhouse in the sky. It started before
      nickle-sliver track was available, and track cleaning lasted about 30 minutes
      in those days.

      An 80 cent bottle will last for several lifetimes.

      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston