Look what went by my office on Tuesday

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
      Hi All:

      By an unbelievable twist of luck and UP dispatch routing, a small locomotive
      went past my office building on Tuesday. I was on the roof of our three story
      building waiting for it, but had no camera. Again, luck prevailed, and a
      coworker had a digital camera. But he was so started by the sight, he didn't
      take the best of pictures. Take a look, and see why:

      http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Challenger

      It was beautiful. It's here for the Superbowl.

      I also had the luck to have dinner with the crew that evening at a fund
      raiser. After 90 minutes of listening to them, I'm a near expert now. <smile>

      Bill K.
      Houston

    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
        Is that a BigBoy? It's tough to see how many wheels it has. Even though
        it looks like one, for some reason it looks short..like a Berkshire or
        something.

        Did it look longer in real life? In the Sacramento RR Museum the thing
        looks a hundred miles long...

        ??

      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
          Never mind. I just read it again and saw Challenger in the URL.

          Sorry,

        • Glen Chenier
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
            > I also had the luck to have dinner with the crew that evening at a
            fund
            > raiser. After 90 minutes of listening to them, I'm a near expert
            now. <smile>

            Green with envy! And what a beeyootiful sight! Could you also wangle
            a ride in the cab with them? (I once rode in a diesel in a yard
            thanks to my kid brother who worked for CNR at the time).
          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
              Hello Bill,

              sorry to ask, but on this link:

              http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Challenger

              I only get a page with a lot of signs, just like if you open a *.jpg
              with the notepad. If I go to:

              http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack

              I get a directory which shows the file challenger with 92k size. Since
              Glen and Ted could see the picture, I'm curios to know what I did
              wrong. I also tried to add .jpg .gif .htm and .html to the link, but
              this only brought me an error message from AOL :-(

              --
              regards
              Uwe Liermann
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Challenger

                I only get a page with a lot of signs, just like if you open a *.jpg
                with the notepad. If I go to:

                This sounds like [possibly] you have your .jpg file extension associated
                with the wrong program.

                Sorry if you know this but:

                Windows has a list of file extensions that are common. Generally they are
                each associated with a appropriate program for opening/viewing/editing
                them. .doc=MSWord, .xls=MSExcel etc.

                Ever notice how sometimes you are asked "What program do you want to use to
                open this?"

                This means you are trying to open an un-associated file type. When you
                pick a program with which to open it, AND leave the checkmark by the
                "Always use this program to open these" box, it becomes associated with
                THAT program. I hope this even makes sense.

                Ask Bill to send you a copy that you can detach to your own disk. That way
                you can use the "Open With" command and point to a specific program that
                you know can read .jpgs. Like MSPaint or the equivalent.

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                  --- ted_lamar@... a écrit : >
                  > Is that a BigBoy? It's tough to see how many wheels
                  > it has.

                  No Ted, it's THE only surviving 4-6-6-4 Challenger
                  (design wich was the ancestor of the Big Boy - of wich
                  unfortunately none is under steam pressure). Wow,
                  Bill, how lucky you were (and how lucky you are to
                  have your office just above UP Railroad - isn't it a
                  problem to keep on working?)!

                  > Did it look longer in real life? In the Sacramento
                  > RR Museum the thing
                  > looks a hundred miles long...

                  As far as I remember, as I went only once to
                  Sacramento RR Museum, their only preserved articulated
                  steam is a Cab Forward...

                  Cheers,
                  Dominique

                  Yahoo! Mail: votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !
                  Créez votre adresse à http://mail.yahoo.fr
                • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                    >As far as I remember, as I went only once to
                    >Sacramento RR Museum, their only preserved articulated
                    >steam is a Cab Forward...

                    You are correct. Thanks. I had a brain phart. I was so excited. I've
                    actually never seen a BigBoy in real life.

                    But the Cab Forward and the Big Boy are very close in size. Both 4-8-8-4
                    configurations. I could definitely tell that Bills picture resembled
                    something shorter than either of those.

                  • jim_manley_alpha_six
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                      Hi Uwe,

                      I'm really glad you asked this question. It really is a .jpg file,
                      but because Bill didn't append ".jpg" or ".jpeg" to the file name when
                      he uploaded it to the America Off Line site, non-Microsoft (or, as I
                      like to call them, "Microsloth") many WWW browsers don't know what to
                      do with it. You can't just add the .jpg extension to the file name in
                      the URL in your browser, because Challenger.jpg doesn't exist on the
                      AOL server. If you try opening the URL with Internet Exploiter
                      (Explorer - sorry, you can tell what I think of Microsloth! :) you can
                      see the photo.

                      The moral of the story is always, Always, ALWAYS add the appropriate
                      file extension (.jpg, .gif, .htm or html, etc.) to the filename before
                      you upload a file to be shared. This is what we in the software
                      business call "meta-info" - literally "information about information"
                      (in this case, information about how data in a file is formatted). As
                      a volunteer docent (expert guide) and restoration engineer at the
                      Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA (sorry, but I have to put
                      in a plug - http://www.computerhistory.org ), I can tell you that
                      trying to decipher what format a data file is in without any meta-info
                      is no fun. How many tracks were written to that reel of tape? How
                      many bits-per-inch of recording density? Are the bits encoded as
                      EBCDIC, ASCII or binary? What file system was used (if any)? Are the
                      bits organized as text, database records, data structures,
                      bit-streams, or something from Pluto? Where can I find an appropriate
                      tape drive, connected to the right kind of computer, running the
                      correct version of the operating system needed, and whatever ancillary
                      utilities and/or applications used to write the data, all of which are
                      actually in running condition? Yadda, yadda, yadda for paper tape,
                      disk packs, floppy disks, WORM disks, CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, etc.

                      Bill, please add the .jpg extension ASAP!

                      All Z BeZt,
                      Jim

                      P.S.: The photo _is_ a bee-yoo-tee-ful sight to behold, so it's worth
                      the trouble to get it so you can view it, and it must have been a real
                      treat to see in living color!

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                      > Hello Bill,
                      >
                      > sorry to ask, but on this link:
                      >
                      > http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Challenger
                      >
                      > I only get a page with a lot of signs, just like if you open a *.jpg
                      > with the notepad. If I go to:
                      >
                      > http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack
                      >
                      > I get a directory which shows the file challenger with 92k size.
                      > Since Glen and Ted could see the picture, I'm curios to know what I
                      > did wrong. I also tried to add .jpg .gif .htm and .html to the link,
                      > but this only brought me an error message from AOL :-(
                      >
                      > --
                      > regards
                      > Uwe Liermann
                      > Grambek, Germany
                    • Wild Zontar
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                        At 14:07 01/29/2004 -0800, you wrote:

                        >This means you are trying to open an un-associated file type. When you
                        >pick a program with which to open it, AND leave the checkmark by the
                        >"Always use this program to open these" box, it becomes associated with
                        >THAT program. I hope this even makes sense.
                        >
                        >Ask Bill to send you a copy that you can detach to your own disk. That way
                        >you can use the "Open With" command and point to a specific program that
                        >you know can read .jpgs. Like MSPaint or the equivalent.

                        Not necessarily. I had the same problem using Mozilla, however I was able
                        to view the picture using Internet Explorer. The problem is that Bill
                        didn't put the ".jpg" extension on the filename (probably just an oversight
                        or typo). IE will view the file, but most standards-compliant browsers
                        won't be able to without the proper file extension. Mozilla was able to
                        view the other files on his site - the ones with file extensions.

                        Uwe, try using IE to view the picture.

                        Greg
                      • David George
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                          I unexpectedly had the same Challenger go by me over a year ago here in Spring,Tx. ( North suburb of Houston ). It was pulling a fund raiser string of 6 UP yellow passenger cars for the Houston Opera. Everyone had dinner on the way to College Station,Tx. -home of Texas A&M University.
                          I reported this on this net. I did NOT have a camera with me.
                          David G.
                          "G~B&CC RR"
                          Spring. Tx.

                          de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                          --- ted_lamar@... a �crit : >
                          > Is that a BigBoy? It's tough to see how many wheels
                          > it has.

                          No Ted, it's THE only surviving 4-6-6-4 Challenger
                          (design wich was the ancestor of the Big Boy - of wich
                          unfortunately none is under steam pressure).

                          Yahoo! Mail: votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !
                          Cr�ez votre adresse � http://mail.yahoo.fr

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        • zbendtrack@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                            Opps. I forgot the extension. Its fixed now.

                            http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Challenger.jpg

                            Yes, its the last surviving Challenger. I drove over to where its being kept
                            in a driving rainstorm, and had to protect the camera, but I got an
                            additional 50 photos of it. Up close and personal.

                            They did not drop the fires in the firebox, even though it will not move
                            again for 5 days. That makes sense, given the thermal expansion issues of a steam
                            locomotive.

                            But it did make for some interesting photographs since the rain was turning
                            into steam when it hit the hottest parts of the engine.

                            I also went over the siding they routed the locomotive over between two
                            different mainlines. The crew was accurate in their description. The 1,000,000
                            pound locomotive shattered or broke nearly every tie in the siding. Amazing.

                            My apologies for the file extension error.

                            Bill K.
                            Houston

                          • Reynard Wellman
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                              Hello Bill,

                              Thanks for sharing your pictures with us, especially since a locomotive
                              like this will probably be the next one released by AZL or Marklin in
                              the
                              next couple of years. Certainly it makes Z scale sense to build some of
                              the
                              big boiler type steamers (Mallets, Big Boys, Challengers, Cab
                              Forwards, Texas Ten Wheelers and Mountains) as you can pack in more
                              powerful motors and flywheels into them. But the development costs are
                              enormous and the capital outlay should be justified by the prospect of
                              a good return.

                              But I'm still looking for the daring company who will solve the track
                              problem. I believe you will also see some surprises in that area too.

                              This Challenger came through Austin about 6 years ago and now
                              it's on the move again. I've got to find out the times when it will pass
                              through here again. Anyone out there have a UP Challenger schedule?

                              Yes, our new Z Scale Locomotive Shed and Machine Shops will accommodate
                              the biggest locos you can think of. We are still prototyping and
                              testing.
                              It will be the most interesting structure we have designed to date.

                              Warm regards,
                              Reynard
                              http://www.micronart.com
                              On Thursday, January 29, 2004, at 05:54 PM, zbendtrack@... wrote:
                              edited
                              > http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/Challenger.jpg
                              >
                              > Yes, its the last surviving Challenger.  I drove over to where its
                              > being kept
                              > in a driving rainstorm, and had to protect the camera, but I got an
                              > additional 50 photos of it.  Up close and personal.
                              >
                              > They did not drop the fires in the firebox, even though it will not
                              > move
                              > again for 5 days.  That makes sense, given the thermal expansion
                              > issues of a steam
                              > locomotive.
                              >
                              > But it did make for some interesting photographs since the rain was
                              > turning
                              > into steam when it hit the hottest parts of the engine.
                              >
                              > I also went over the siding they routed the locomotive over between two
                              > different mainlines.  The crew was accurate in their description.  The
                              > 1,000,000
                              > pound locomotive shattered or broke nearly every tie in the siding.
                              > Amazing.
                              edited

                              > Bill K.
                              > Houston

                            • Jim Glass
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                                The schedule and changes are on MoPac@yahoogroups.com<mailto:MoPac@yahoogroups.com> .

                                Subject: [RRTulsa] Fwd: Steam Schedule

> [...]
                                >
                                > Arrive: 10:30 a.m. Corsicana - service locomotive
                                > 7th and Beaton
                                > Depart: 11:00 a.m.
                                >
                                > Arrive: 2:00 p.m. Hearne - 2003 Market St.
                                > Under Hwy. 79 & 6 viaduct
                                >
                                > Friday, January 23
                                > Depart: 8:00 a.m. Hearne
                                >
                                > Arrive: 12:01 p.m. Houston - Holly Hall St.
                                > crossing
                                > Near Reliant Stadium
                                >
                                > Saturday, January 24 and Sunday, January 25
                                > Public Display
                                > 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
                                >
                                > Saturday, January 31 and Sunday, February 1
                                > Public Display
                                > 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
                                >
                                > Tuesday, February 3
                                > Depart: 8:00 a.m. Houston
                                >
                                > Arrive: 11:00 a.m. Crockett - service locomotive
                                > Old UP Depot
                                > Depart: 11:30 a.m.
                                >
                                > Arrive: 3:00 p.m. Longview
                                >
                                > Wednesday, February 4
                                > Depart: 8:00 a.m. Longview
                                >
                                > Arrive: 11:00 a.m. Hope, Ark. - service locomotive
                                > Old UP Depot
                                > Depart: 11:30 a.m.
                                >
                                > Arrive: 3:00 p.m. North Little Rock - 1000 W.
                                > 4th St.
                                > Behind office building
                                >
                                > Thursday, February 5
                                > Public Display
                                > 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
                                >
                                > Friday, February 6
                                > Depart: 8:00 a.m. North Little Rock
                                >
                                > Arrive: 10:30 a.m. Russelville - service
                                > locomotive
                                > UP Depot - 300 N. Denver St.
                                > Depart: 11:00 a.m.
                                >
                                > Arrive: 02:00 p.m. Van Buren
                                > Second Ave.
                                >
                                > Saturday, February 7
                                > Depart: 8:00 a.m. Van Buren
                                >
                                > Arrive: 11:00 a.m. Wagoner, Okla. - service
                                > locomotive
                                > UP Depot - 302 S. Main St.
                                > Depart: 11:30 a.m.
                                >
                                > Arrive: 1:30 p.m. Coffeyville, Kan.
                                > Atlantic Street
                                >
                                > Sunday, February 8
                                > Depart: 8:00 a.m. Coffeyville
                                >
                                > Arrive: 10:00 a.m. Durand - service locomotive
                                > Depart: 10:30 a.m.
                                >
                                > Arrive: 1:30 p.m. Kansas City, Missouri
                                > Union Station
                                >
                                > Monday, February 9
                                > Public Display
                                > 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
                                >
                                > Tuesday, February 10
                                > Depart: 8:00 a.m. Kansas City
                                >
                                > Arrive: 10:30 a.m. Topeka - service locomotive
                                > Former UP depot - The Great Overland Station
                                > Depart: 11:00 a.m.
                                >
                                > Arrive: 1:30 p.m. Marysville
                                > Bestwall Spur
                                >
                                > Wednesday, February 11
                                > Depart: 8:00 a.m. Marysville
                                >
                                > Arrive: 10:45 a.m. Level - service locomotive
                                > Near Hwy. 71 crossing
                                > Depart: 11:15 a.m.
                                >
                                > Arrive: 2:30 p.m. North Platte - Front St.
                                > between Chestnut and Poplar
                                >

                                > Thursday, February 12
                                > Depart: 8:00 a.m. CST North Platte
                                > Arrive: 10:30 a.m. MST Sidney - service locomotive

                                jimgl
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                                  Thanks Jim, guess I'll just have to scoot on down to Houston
                                  if I want to see it this year.

                                  When I saw it going down the MOPAC tracks here in Austin
                                  I almost went crazy because I wasn't expecting it. Man, does that
                                  machine have power; you can almost feel it ! It took over 30 years
                                  of diesel engine development before they were able to equal
                                  these big steamer's pull.

                                  Best regards,
                                  Reynard
                                  http://www.micronart.com

                                  On Thursday, January 29, 2004, at 10:09 PM, Jim Glass wrote:

                                  > The schedule and changes are on
                                  > MoPac@yahoogroups.com<mailto:MoPac@yahoogroups.com> .
                                  >
                                  > Subject: [RRTulsa] Fwd:  Steam Schedule
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In Union_Pacific@yahoogroups.com, "cnw4002"
                                  > > <cnw4002@y...> wrote:
                                  > > Union Pacific Railroad's Challenger Steam Locomotive
                                  > > No. 3985
                                  > > Super Bowl XXXVIII Tour Schedule

                                  edited for length

                                • Ell Geib
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 29, 2004
                                    Got garbage using Netscape. Got a beautiful pic using Internet Explorer.
                                    Ell Geib

                                  • zbendtrack@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 30, 2004
                                      Reynard:

                                      > This Challenger came through Austin about 6 years ago and now
                                      > it's on the move again. I've got to find out the times when it will pass
                                      > through here again. Anyone out there have a UP Challenger schedule?

                                      The Challenger's travel schedule is posted on the www.up.com

                                      Bill K.
                                      Houston

                                    • Uwe Liermann
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 30, 2004
                                        Hello Jim,

                                        Thank you for the info about using IE. I should have tried it before
                                        asking questions. But since I'm using Opera and TheBat for
                                        webbrowsing and email, I often forget about those "default"
                                        programs...

                                        > Internet Exploiter (Explorer - sorry, you can tell what I think of
                                        > Microsloth! :)

                                        as you can read above we're two of a kind :-)

                                        > The moral of the story is always, Always, ALWAYS add the appropriate
                                        > file extension (.jpg, .gif, .htm or html, etc.) to the filename before
                                        > you upload a file to be shared.

                                        for web use i also still recommend to stay with the 8.3 rule for
                                        filenames. I remember searching my first try of a website. The server
                                        changed my file index.html into index~1.htm while I uploaded it :-(

                                        OK back to the list topic :-)

                                        > P.S.: The photo _is_ a bee-yoo-tee-ful sight to behold, so it's worth
                                        > the trouble to get it so you can view it, and it must have been a real
                                        > treat to see in living color!

                                        I agree... unfortunately I have to cope with what is available here in
                                        Germany. Today I got my very first delivery from the maerklin insider
                                        club. The insider model for 2004 is a Gt 2x4/4 heavy freight train
                                        loco (88290). It really looks great. Now I will have to save up for
                                        the 259 EUR it will cost...

                                        And on may 20th I will ride the Schimmelreiter, a nostalgia train from
                                        Hamburg to Sylt (the northern most island in Germany). It will take
                                        four hours, and the engine will be a BR012.

                                        For those who know a little about German geography, figure this out:

                                        A few years back I've been in List, which is the northernmost town in
                                        Germany on the island Sylt. On a dune there is a meteorology station.
                                        Asked about how far one can see from there, we got the reply:

                                        On good days... all the way to the "Zugspitze".

                                        .
                                        .
                                        .
                                        .
                                        .
                                        .
                                        .
                                        .
                                        .
                                        .
                                        .
                                        Zugspitze = a mountain in the German alps near Garmisch = the head of
                                        a train. The island Sylt is connected to the mainland by a dam which
                                        was build for a rail line to the island. The only way to reach the
                                        island is either by train, or by ferry from Denmark.

                                        --
                                        have fun

                                        Uwe
                                      • Scott Douglass
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 30, 2004
                                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                                          > And on may 20th I will ride the Schimmelreiter, a nostalgia train
                                          from
                                          > Hamburg to Sylt (the northern most island in Germany). It will take
                                          > four hours, and the engine will be a BR012.

                                          Is it already fully booked? I'm planning to be in Germany around that
                                          time in May. Do you have any information?

                                          > For those who know a little about German geography, figure this out:
                                          >
                                          > A few years back I've been in List, which is the northernmost town
                                          in
                                          > Germany on the island Sylt. On a dune there is a meteorology
                                          station.
                                          > Asked about how far one can see from there, we got the reply:
                                          >
                                          > On good days... all the way to the "Zugspitze".

                                          You're joking, right ?!? That's several hundred kilometers.

                                          Scott
                                          >> Uwe
                                        • Charles Kuttner
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 30, 2004
                                            Very interesting. Unless this is a trick photo, Bill, it seems to be a
                                            very enlarged model of a real Z locomotive. It's amazing, seeing how
                                            small the cars and people look next to it. I would estimate it has been
                                            enlarged 220 times from the prototype.

                                            It seems to be sort of like those Saddam statues or the Statue of
                                            Liberty, bigger than real life. Sort of like Houston [I'm an expatriate
                                            native of Houston, but still think of it as fictitious].

                                            Or maybe Bill answered some of those ads on the internet for enlarging
                                            things and just sprinkled the stuff on his Marklin loco.

                                            [sorry, couldn't resist.... ;-)#]

                                            chas

                                            Charles Kuttner, MD
                                            Portland, OR
                                            http://cmug.com/~ckuttner/

                                            Otherwise known as:
                                            Col. Cornelius Kuttner
                                            Proprietor, psychopathist and microferroequinologist, Oakville &
                                            Poorfarm RR
                                          • zbendtrack@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 30, 2004
                                              Chas:

                                              > Very interesting. Unless this is a trick photo, Bill, it seems to be a
                                              > very enlarged model of a real Z locomotive. It's amazing, seeing how
                                              > small the cars and people look next to it. I would estimate it has been
                                              > enlarged 220 times from the prototype.

                                              Since you enjoyed my cut and paste trick photos <smile> so much, I put up a
                                              few more that I took today. Poke around here:

                                              http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/3985/

                                              By the way, I'm 6 foot 2 inches, if that helps give you some idea of driver
                                              size.

                                              Bill K.
                                              Houston

                                            • Helmut Paule
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 30, 2004
                                                Great Pictures, Bill, Thank you

                                                "Z" Greetings Helmut

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 30, 2004
                                                  Hi Bill,

                                                  Ohhhh, maaaaaaannnnnnnn!!!!!

                                                  I'm sure glad that's sheathing over the boiler and not the boilerplate
                                                  itself - it looks like there's not much more holding it together than
                                                  the paint!

                                                  Now I know what I want for _next_ Christmas!

                                                  http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/3985/The_Cab.jpg

                                                  Honey? Honey! I want to make a little improvement to the family
                                                  room, and I'll do aaaaany-thing you want! I've already taken out the
                                                  garbage ... twice!! I got rid of The Mangy Mutt!!! I traded in the
                                                  nasty ol' pick-em-up truck for a refurbished two-seater convertible
                                                  roadster in pink!!!! You want me to WHAT????? No, please, not
                                                  THAT!!!!!! Um, well ... okay ... I - guess - I - can ... (whimper,
                                                  whimper, whimper) ... BAWWWWWW-HAWWWWW-HAWWWWW-HAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

                                                  Will Jim succumb to his master's demands? Will The Mangy Mutt find
                                                  his way back home? Will Harry meet Sally? Will there be a will or a
                                                  way? Stay tuned, for the next exciting episode of "As the World
                                                  ChurnZ Under The Guiding Blight at Generally Inhospitable"!

                                                  All (sniff) Z (sniff) BeZt (snuffle-snork)
                                                  Jim (A Broken Man-ley)

                                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:
                                                  > Since you enjoyed my cut and paste trick photos <smile> so much, I
                                                  > put up a few more that I took today. Poke around here:
                                                  >
                                                  > http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/3985/
                                                  >
                                                  > By the way, I'm 6 foot 2 inches, if that helps give you some idea of
                                                  > driver size.
                                                • Uwe Liermann
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 31, 2004
                                                    Hello Scott,

                                                    >> And on may 20th I will ride the Schimmelreiter, a nostalgia train
                                                    >> from Hamburg to Sylt (the northern most island in Germany). It will
                                                    >> take four hours, and the engine will be a BR012.

                                                    > Is it already fully booked? I'm planning to be in Germany around that
                                                    > time in May. Do you have any information?

                                                    here is the link I used to find this tour and book it:

                                                    http://www.bahn.de/museum/die_bahn_nostalgie.shtml

                                                    For those who are not German speaking:

                                                    At Google I pasted it into the searchfield, and at the result I used
                                                    the "Translate this page" Button. That resulted in this link (it's a
                                                    loooong one :-) ):

                                                    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.bahn.de/museum/die_bahn_nostalgie.shtml&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.dbmuseum.de/museum/die_bahn_nostalgie.shtml%26num%3D50%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26newwindow%3D1%26sa%3DG

                                                    >> A few years back I've been in List, which is the northernmost town in
                                                    >> Germany on the island Sylt. On a dune there is a meteorology station.
                                                    >> Asked about how far one can see from there, we got the reply:
                                                    >>
                                                    >> On good days... all the way to the "Zugspitze".

                                                    > You're joking, right ?!? That's several hundred kilometers.

                                                    No: This exchange really took place at the easter weekend in
                                                    1995 at this meteorology station.

                                                    and...

                                                    Yes: of course it was a joke. As I also wrote in my earlier mail:

                                                    >> Zugspitze = a mountain in the German alps near Garmisch = the head of
                                                    >> a train. The island Sylt is connected to the mainland by a dam which
                                                    >> was build for a rail line to the island. The only way to reach the
                                                    >> island is either by train, or by ferry from Denmark.

                                                    It is some 1000 km / 612 miles from List to the Zugspitze (the
                                                    mountain...), but it is also only about 15 km / 9 miles (over open
                                                    water) to the "Hindenburg-Damm" which connects the island Sylt with the
                                                    mainland. Standing on top of the dune, and on a clear day, it is no
                                                    problem to see the "Zugspitze" ("head of the train" in German) of a
                                                    train using this dam. Since 1927 this 11 km / 6.7 miles long dam (in
                                                    z-scale it would be some 50 meters) is only for use by railway. There
                                                    is no road on it. Maerklin had a set "75 years Hindenburg-Damm" in the
                                                    2002/2003 catalogue (81428 for z-scale).
                                                    My first journey alone, I was 7 years old then (my mother put me on
                                                    the train, and my grandpa picked me up at Westerland. I had strict
                                                    order to stay on the train until grandpa showed up!), was going from
                                                    Hamburg to Westerland (the maintown on Sylt) back in 1967. That was
                                                    still with a steamengine pulling the train.

                                                    --
                                                    regards

                                                    Uwe
                                                  • M. Gottschalch
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 31, 2004
                                                      WOW!

                                                      I hope they decide to run it to the superbowl next year. I will go see
                                                      it then.
                                                      --
                                                      Manfred G
                                                    • KLWZscale
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jan 31, 2004
                                                        Just got back from viewing the UP Challenger here in Houston. What a great site. I
                                                        took several photos and also a quicktime movie. I will try to post to my website in the
                                                        near future.

                                                        One thing is for sure, photos do not do justice to the size of this loco. It is an
                                                        awsome site to see.

                                                        Keith
                                                        klwzscale
                                                        I will post a link to the photos in the next couple of days.
                                                      • Charles Kuttner
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jan 31, 2004
                                                          On Jan 30, 2004, at 10:47 PM, Bill K. wrote:

                                                          >> Very interesting. Unless this is a trick photo, Bill, it seems to be a
                                                          >> very enlarged model of a real Z locomotive. It's amazing, seeing how
                                                          >> small the cars and people look next to it. I would estimate it has
                                                          >> been
                                                          >> enlarged 220 times from the prototype.
                                                          >>

                                                          > Since you enjoyed my cut and paste trick photos <smile> so much, I put
                                                          > up a
                                                          > few more that I took today. Poke around here:
                                                          >
                                                          > http://www.members.aol.com/zbendtrack/3985/
                                                          >
                                                          > By the way, I'm 6 foot 2 inches, if that helps give you some idea of
                                                          > driver
                                                          > size.

                                                          Bill, all levity aside, I'm in awe just looking at these pictures. I've
                                                          been around just enough steam locos that I could imagine the rumbling
                                                          of the ground as this behemoth rolls by. These shots help remind us
                                                          that we're not only making our own little versions of the world, but
                                                          capturing the fascination we have for the real trains. If I were in
                                                          Houston right now, I'd hang out wherever I could find this engine,
                                                          except when with my family there. I wouldn't waste time at the Super
                                                          Bowel, er, Super Bowl; I have my priorities!

                                                          The local engine that keeps me fascinated is:
                                                          http://www.pnwc-nrhs.org/pnw-trains/SP4449.html
                                                          I recall being in a local station (Albany, OR) a number of years ago
                                                          and seeing, hearing, and feeling this fire-breathing monster come up to
                                                          me.

                                                          But since you're 6 foot 2 inches, or 74 inches, and I'm 5 foot 6 inches
                                                          tall, or 66 inches tall, you'd be 8.4 mm on my layout, I'd be 7.6 mm
                                                          tall. Don't ask me why I just figured that one...

                                                          Bill, you are our friend and mentor! Thanks to your inspiration, my
                                                          railroad is under construction with a really neat track plan. It will
                                                          be a slow process, but I plan to share pictures.

                                                          chas

                                                          Charles Kuttner, MD
                                                          Portland, OR
                                                          http://cmug.com/~ckuttner/

                                                          Otherwise known as:
                                                          Col. Cornelius Kuttner
                                                          Proprietor, psychopathist and microferroequinologist, Oakville &
                                                          Poorfarm RR
                                                        • Loren Snyder
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Feb 1 7:45 AM