Re: Mystery Substance

  • zscale@retrograde.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2000
      > Hi, I have seen the white substance in some of my locomotives,
      > the white (creme looking) substance is put by the motor
      manufacturer
      > to keep the coil wires from shifting. They are usually put at the
      > three junctions of a three pole motor.

      Thanks. It's good to know that motor replacement won't be part of my
      new-loco maintenance program! None of my other steamers, including
      the other (probably younger) 2-8-2, have the white substance.

      > When I saw that first I
      > thought it was the wires that got burnt to ash and hardened......
      Do
      > not remove it the motor wire might get cut if you try to remove it.
      > Good Luck.

      Like you, I thought it was a very fine powder like ash, burnt dust,
      metal oxide, or corrosion salts. I brushed at the white stuff with a
      cotton swab to see if any would come loose, without result. So I left
      it alone -- I'd rather not touch those fine coil wires with anything
      sharper than my elbow. :-)

      -- Andy