Re: National Train Show report, Day 2...The Show Must Go On!

  • Jack Seay
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 3:00 AM
      I is very difficult to get model railroaders interested in any scale other
      than the one they model in. I used to be that way about Z-scale. I wouldn't
      even look at anything else. I have the last few years dabbled in several
      other scales, and have found that each has something to offer, although Z
      and Nn3 are still my favorites. The main reason I got interested in other
      scales is because I am editor of the club newsletter, and I am the only Z-
      scaler in the club. Most have HO, with a few N scalers.

      Also, have you ever tried something called LPS-1? It is a contact cleaner,
      lubricant that conducts electricity. I wipe a tiny amount on the track with
      my fingertip. It works better than any amount of track cleaning, in my
      experience. I have tried WD40, but it didn't work the same.

      Jeffrey MacHan said at �[z_scale] National Train Show report, Day 2...The
      Show Must Go On!�.
      [08/29/99 22:09]

      > From: "Jeffrey MacHan" <jmac_han@...>
      >
      > National Train Show report, Day 2...or...The Show Must Go On!
      >
      > As a result, the modelers
      > of
      > larger scales walked right by the layout or only slowed down slightly on
      > their way to meetings with colleagues.
      >
      > >From noon to 4pm, the show was open to the National convention attendees
      > who, as you must understand, do not model in Z scale. There was the rare
      > individual who stopped by to say that he had an Nn3 line on his N scale
      > road.
      >
      > The general theory of why model railroaders "seem" to be such antisocial
      > personalities in train shows is that they are in a terrific hurry to find
      > the GREAT BARGAIN in their prefered scale. My own observations tended to
      > confirm this theory since the vendor tables in HO were attracting a lot
      > of
      > attention. A second theory of model railroader behavior patterns at
      > train
      > shows is that no matter how good a layout or technique is, if it is not
      > in
      > their prefered scale, it is of no interest!
      >
      > Oh well...fortunately at 16:00 the doors opened for the unbiased,
      > unprejudiced, unabashedly frank and curious hordes known to train show
      > organizers as THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
      >
      > THE GENERAL PUBLIC loved my layout! From 16:00 to closing at 21:00 the
      > flow
      > of wide eyed, smiling people of all ages continued without letup. It was
      > great! http://members.home.net/trainmaster/NTS-crowd.jpg
      >
      > I also love talking to THE GENERAL PUBLIC. The last hours of Day 2 were
      > so
      > enjoyable that I was looking forward to the next morning.
      >
      > The trains ran without a hitch although I found that there was a lot of
      > dust
      > in the air. I had to move my 1 and only track cleaning car from one
      > circuit
      > to another to keep the track polished. Fortunately, John Claudino, owner
      > of
      > Aztec Manufacturing, was somewhere in the train show.
      > http://members.home.net/trainmaster/NTS-Aztec.jpg

      If you are getting something for nothing, it's because someone else is
      getting nothing for something.
      Jack Seay - jackseay@...
      Lubbock Model Railroad Association - http://railserve.com/lmra