Andy Hunting awarded "Model of the Month" for January 2004

  • jmac_han
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 28, 2004
      Congratulations, Andy Hunting, "Model of the Month Award" winner for
      January 2004. Here is what Andy has to say about his award-winning
      and unique freight cars.

      ****

      In 1947, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad launched its "Sentinel Fast
      Freight Service". Customers using this service were assured of a
      definite arrival date when shipping carload freight between two of 30
      designated cities on the B&O network. Customers could even track the
      progress of their Sentinel shipments using the very latest in
      communications technology: the teletype machine!

      A new herald and a silver-and-blue paint scheme were devised to help
      promote the service. Though only about 100 cars were ever painted
      with this design, it has become one of the best-known B&O boxcar
      schemes.

      The boxcars themselves are MT 40-footers, which fortunately match the
      B&O class M55 almost exactly. I created all of the artwork from
      scratch, including the "Sentinel" font. Rob Allbritton lent his
      production services, turning my art into decals on his ALPS printer.
      Final weathering was done with an India ink/alcohol mixture. Each car
      has a different road number from the 4660xx range, similar to
      prototype examples.

      ****
    • Curtis Campbell
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2004
        GREAT JOB ANDY!!!! You wouldn't want to part with one, would you? Let me know...Curtis

[...]

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Andy Hunting
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2004
          Well, thanks for the honor, Jeffrey!

          -- Andy Hunting

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
          > Congratulations, Andy Hunting, "Model of the Month Award" winner
          for
          > January 2004. Here is what Andy has to say about his award-winning
          > and unique freight cars.
          >
          > ****
          >
          > In 1947, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad launched its "Sentinel Fast
          > Freight Service". Customers using this service were assured of a
          > definite arrival date when shipping carload freight between two of
          30
          > designated cities on the B&O network. Customers could even track the
          > progress of their Sentinel shipments using the very latest in
          > communications technology: the teletype machine!
          >
          > A new herald and a silver-and-blue paint scheme were devised to help
          > promote the service. Though only about 100 cars were ever painted
          > with this design, it has become one of the best-known B&O boxcar
          > schemes.
          >
          > The boxcars themselves are MT 40-footers, which fortunately match
          the
          > B&O class M55 almost exactly. I created all of the artwork from
          > scratch, including the "Sentinel" font. Rob Allbritton lent his
          > production services, turning my art into decals on his ALPS
          printer.
          > Final weathering was done with an India ink/alcohol mixture. Each
          car
          > has a different road number from the 4660xx range, similar to
          > prototype examples.
          >
          > ****
        • Michael Hilliard
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2004
            You deserve it, very nice work, Michael

            Andy Hunting <tv175@...> wrote:Well, thanks for the honor, Jeffrey!

            -- Andy Hunting

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" <jmac_han@y...> wrote:
            > Congratulations, Andy Hunting, "Model of the Month Award" winner
            for
            > January 2004. Here is what Andy has to say about his award-winning
            > and unique freight cars.
            >
            > ****
            >
            > In 1947, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad launched its "Sentinel Fast
            > Freight Service".

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2004
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2004
                OHHH, now I fell like I have a deadline to meet, :) Michael

                Andy, I'd like to also congratulate you on your fine models you custom
                lettered. I'm hoping you will be in Portland on the 14th and 15th of
                February at the GATS show. I'll be coming up from Medford to meet Tom and
                Jim and the rest of your gang. I'm looking forward to learning a whole
                bunch from you guys. I'll bring my ALZ locos and some rolling stock. To be
                there or not to be there, that is the question !! Loren S.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31, 2004
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2004
                    Please, not that, fruit cake, I don't need to be any more fruity than I am. But in all seriousness Mr. Loren, SD is schedualed for surgery from thursday-sat. this comming week, It will be a major opperation, I hope you have a good support group :) I'm going to try to install lighting without using the DCC space, and people thought brain surgery was major, I'm opperating without a P.H.D. yikes!! Can I even get a P.H.D. in Z scale?
                    In the mean time as I wait for parts on tues. I'll be painting and decaling 2 custom BN plug door boxcars for a client. I'll post the results, these will be my next Zecals offering, so busy, busy, but like the old saying goes, if you want something done, give the work to someone busy, cause if they're busy, they must be getting something done, even if it takes awhile, it gets done. Anyway, I'll be praying with you durring the surgery, Michael Hilliard

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2004
                      > Please, not that, fruit cake, I don't need to be any more fruity than I
                      am. But in all seriousness Mr. Loren, SD is schedualed for surgery from
                      thursday-sat. this comming week, It will be a major opperation, I hope you
                      have a good support group :) I'm going to try to install lighting without
                      using the DCC space, and people thought brain surgery was major, I'm
                      opperating without a P.H.D. yikes!! Can I even get a P.H.D. in Z scale?

                      > - Yes Michael, I do have a fairly decent support group, but my
                      fingernails are getting kind of short, what then? I'm glad you don't
                      have a P.H.D.-----that stands for piled high & deep. Is it getting thick
                      around here or what?