Hi

  • bill_mchale
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2004
      Just a quick introduction and a question or two.

      Ok.. I think I have got the model railroad bug... and in particular I
      am intrigued with Z scale because of the possibility of doing
      relatively decent size layouts in moderate amounts of space (i.e. if
      my calculations are right a 3'x5' layout in Z scale would be scale
      size nearly the same as a 7'6"x12'6" in HP). From browsing the
      archives here I know I am not alone in those possibilities. What
      does concern me however is availability of product; my particular
      interests are basicaly Steam from say 1910 to 1950 and in particular
      steam in the Mid Atlantic Region of the USA (Hey I am from that
      area). While I know Marklin produces a C&0 Mikado Locomotive, I am
      wondering how many other American prototype steam locomotives are out
      there? Also does anyone here concentrate on American Steam (I have
      noticed that there seems to be a small but decent selection of
      European, specifically German Steam)?

      One last question, browsing the web, I have seen some neat small
      layouts in Z and a few big layouts in Z... Just curious what the
      average layout size for a Zer (is that right?) is?

      Thanks for all your patience and I apologize in advance if some of
      these questions are answered in the archives and I missed them.

      --
      Bill
    • its_all_downhill
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 26, 2004
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bill_mchale" <mchale@t...> wrote:
        > Just a quick introduction and a question or two.
        >
        > Ok.. I think I have got the model railroad bug... and in particular I
        > am intrigued with Z scale because of the possibility of doing
        > relatively decent size layouts in moderate amounts of space (i.e. if
        > my calculations are right a 3'x5' layout in Z scale would be scale
        > size nearly the same as a 7'6"x12'6" in HP). From browsing the
        > archives here I know I am not alone in those possibilities. What
        > does concern me however is availability of product; my particular
        > interests are basicaly Steam from say 1910 to 1950 and in particular
        > steam in the Mid Atlantic Region of the USA (Hey I am from that
        > area). While I know Marklin produces a C&0 Mikado Locomotive, I am
        > wondering how many other American prototype steam locomotives are out
        > there? Also does anyone here concentrate on American Steam (I have
        > noticed that there seems to be a small but decent selection of
        > European, specifically German Steam)?
        >
        > One last question, browsing the web, I have seen some neat small
        > layouts in Z and a few big layouts in Z... Just curious what the
        > average layout size for a Zer (is that right?) is?
        >
        > Thanks for all your patience and I apologize in advance if some of
        > these questions are answered in the archives and I missed them.
        >
        > --
        > Bill

        Hi Bill

        Well Im new to Z too :) I just thought I would say hi, and welcome. Im
        sure many far more qualified members will be along soon.. but for me,
        I am starting off with a small? 8ft x 2ft tail chaser based on swiss
        modern operation, with maybe a few DB trains running through to, so no
        where near your interests ;)

        Regards
        Tom
      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2004
          Bill,
          Right now, the only factory new Mid -Atlantic steam is the C&O. However, you
          can often find used PRR Pacifics, Jersey Central Pacifics, New york Central
          Mikados. And, what I look for, new 5 pole Miks from starter sets that are
          bargain priced on e-bay, then I paint them Pennsy. It ain't perfect, but from a
          step back, it looks pretty good. Unfortunately, in the mass produced market, the
          only choices are USRA Mikados and Pacifics. Pennzee sometimes offers
          streamlined Pennsy K4 shells and tenders that fit the Marklin Pacific chassis. I don't
          know if they are a regularly stocked item.
          Dan S.
          In a message dated 1/26/2004 4:59:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          mchale@... writes:
          What
          does concern me however is availability of product; my particular
          interests are basicaly Steam from say 1910 to 1950 and in particular
          steam in the Mid Atlantic Region of the USA (Hey I am from that
          area). While I know Marklin produces a C&0 Mikado Locomotive, I am
          wondering how many other American prototype steam locomotives are out
          there? Also does anyone here concentrate on American Steam (I have
          noticed that there seems to be a small but decent selection of
          European, specifically German Steam)?

        • kd79ctls
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
            Thanks to all that gave me advise about my marklin engine. It been I
            great help in giving me an idea what to do
            Kevin
            Thanks again
          • purpleice4me
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 21, 2006
              Hi,

              My name is David and I have just started my adventure into z scale
              modeling. I decided to try a bit of everything first so I am waiting
              on a marklin steam starter set and a micro trains F7 a/b with micro-
              track.

              I was wondering about power packs, and if a standard transformer,
              like the type that would come with an ho train set would work with a
              z scale train. I am waiting on a marklin powerpack, but I was
              wondering for the meantime if one of those would do, say with a max
              VA of 7 volts.

              Also, does anyone have any reviews on micro-track v. marklin track,
              positives or negatives?

              Thanks for any feedback,and I look forward to getting more involved
              with the group as time progresses.

              Ciao,

              David
            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 21, 2006
                Hi David,

                Welcome to the world of Z..........where the real world starts and the old
                world fades into memory.....

                On power packs, just be sure not to go over 9 volts for loco safety. The
                MRC 1300 by Micro Trains Line is a great power pack, but the Marklin power
                packs work wonderfully also.

                On MTL's micro track......it is easy to work with, very nice, priced right,
                and many more pieces will eventually come out. Turnouts to come out in
                several months. MTL's track is basically a replacment for Marklin, only
                difference is the built in road bed, plus North American tie spacing. Good
                stuff. I don't know anyone who does not like it.

                You've come to the right place. This forum, plus other sites will give you
                tremendous help.

                All the best,

                > I was wondering about power packs, and if a standard transformer,
                > like the type that would come with an ho train set would work with a
                > z scale train. I am waiting on a marklin powerpack, but I was
                > wondering for the meantime if one of those would do, say with a max
                > VA of 7 volts.
                >
                > Also, does anyone have any reviews on micro-track v. marklin track,
                > positives or negatives?
                > David
              • Robin
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21, 2006
                  David,

                  With your Marklin Steam starter set there should be a controller
                  included. It works fine.

                  Another controller choice: We have been using the MRC Tech 4
                  controller that we previously used for N scale. After talking with
                  the Sales Manager from MRC, he sent us a pre-production product to
                  lower the voltage to be safe for Z. It basicly is multiple series
                  diode chains that drops the voltage approximately 3.5v in the
                  circuit path. So if one was handy at electroics, they could make
                  one themselves.

                  The advantage is that unlike the MRC controller sold by Micro-trains
                  (which has a manual stop for the control knob), you get to use the
                  full range of the power on the controller. Plus the Tech 4 is a
                  better quality controller than the MRC 1300. I think the MRC Tech 4
                  does the best job of smooth operation of all the controllers
                  mentioned on the forum. I have all of them. The GP35 from Micro-
                  trains used with this controller moves just as good as an N scale
                  engine. Wow, what a claim! What can I do? I said it and there it
                  is.

                  Thanks,
                  Robin

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "purpleice4me" <purpleice4me@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > My name is David and I have just started my adventure into z scale
                  > modeling. I decided to try a bit of everything first so I am
                  waiting
                  > on a marklin steam starter set and a micro trains F7 a/b with
                  micro-
                  > track.
                  >
                  > I was wondering about power packs, and if a standard transformer,
                  > like the type that would come with an ho train set would work with
                  > z scale train. I am waiting on a marklin powerpack, but I was
                  > wondering for the meantime if one of those would do, say with a
                  max
                  > VA of 7 volts.
                  >
                  > Also, does anyone have any reviews on micro-track v. marklin
                  track,
                  > positives or negatives?
                  >
                  > Thanks for any feedback,and I look forward to getting more
                  involved
                  > with the group as time progresses.
                  >
                  > Ciao,
                  >
                  > David

                • Barry
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
                    Hi All,
                    Well I just received my first SS check.
                    Loren I am ready to get into Z big time.
                    Barry Vreyens
                  • David George
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
                      Barry,
                      Your SS check should allow you to buy two locos and one craftsman kit / month.
                      Yahoo !
                      Cordially,
                      Mister Dave
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
                        Barry,
                        Where on earth have you been? Long, long time since I've seen you ! Think
                        it was in Portland about 2204 or 05?

                        Ever finish that globe layout? Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said anything
                        about it.

                        Hey, we are forming Southern Oregon Z and need more members. Our
                        Thanksgiving weekend show needs your presence and the CZM club would
                        benefit from your expertise this coming February.

                        Much, much has happened in Z scale since we last talked.

                        PM me at ljsnyder@... and I'll begin to catch you up on all the new
                        things going on. You are way, way behind!
                        Boy, have we got plans for you. Forgive me if I forget, but was your wife's
                        name Susan? Long long time and I'm growing older by the minute.....my only
                        excuse.

                        Good to hear you are alive and kicking,

                        > Loren I am ready to get into Z big time.
                        > Barry Vreyens
                      • Loren
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
                          Dave,

                          Barry needs gas to come down to Medford, so better hold him to a loco every
                          other month.. :o)