Re: [z_scale] Re: Fwd: vehicles, intermodal equipment (Comments?)

  • frederick ladd
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
      Train Gang,
      Malcom is right on! For years I have been cutting and chopping Micro-Machines with a band saw - Vertically and horizontally- to get the tractor trailers to Z. And they have, Believe it or not- come out very well. I even have a depressed flatbed hauling
      a large back hoe, with flashing lights. With a possibility of additional container cars coming out, an Ottawa tracktor would be nice. I've "got mine"-- but... I have also made 20',40',53' etc containers with the doors on the end, NOT on the sides like Marklin. I made a "mess" of the 20' and 40' containers for the SEAWITCH and they are Sealand, President, Evergreen, and don't forget open containers able to ship machinery.
      American trucks are BIG- Take a 53' container on a trailer with a big nosed tractor
      -- it could be 70' or longer. Put that up against the most popular "40?" flat car.I got into Z because it was a challenge. I had to make the buildings and vehicles et al.
      A Z LAYOUT COULD NOT BE STORE BOUGHT. In MR a lot of the layouts have the same cars, buildings and bridges, etc. Z is unique as most of the stuff we need has to be devised, improvised and canabalized.
      My hats off to Randy and others who are working on this project.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2004
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique
        <ddechamp71@y...> wrote:
        > --- John & Sue Bartolotto <jsbart@c...> a
        > écrit : > Malcolm,
        (...)
        > Hi Jeffrey and all group, and happy new year to all
        > you guyZ! About vehicles, I remember a few issues of
        > Ztrack ago, a manufacturer releasing modern north
        > american trucks (Peterbilt, Mack, etc...). I think for
        > me time is coming to order some. Are they stil
        > available?
        > Cheers
        > Dominique

        Perhaps you are making a reference to the Die Cast Promotion
        models (point your bowser to http://www.ffertl3.com/index.cfm and
        once there, do a seach for "256", as this is the scale of those
        little trucks).

        Right now, they list only 2 models, both of them International.
        When I bought some (about 7 or 8 months ago) thay had 4 models to
        choose from. I do hope the limited choice is only temporary as I
        can vouch for the quality (and for only $4.99 each, they are a very
        good deal to boot) and I do hope new models will come up soon.

        By the way, and that is a bit out of context, I have a railroad line
        just besides my home (ex-CP line now operated mostly by Quebec
        Gatineau) and a 43 cars consist went by, lead by a single loco (I
        think it was a SD-40; next time I will have to be quicker jumping
        to the window). On average, a train would have one loco for each 25
        to 30 cars (more locos for heavy consists, like unit grain hoppers,
        where I can count up to 6 engines for about 100 cars); so in the
        case of this mixed consist, I can only assume those were empties.

        At any rate, what I want to say is that, with all the recent
        discussions about locos pulling power (on flat or on grades), it
        seems that what should matter, in my view, would simply be the need
        to haul what looks like a normal consist. Extra traction (i.e. more
        cars per loco) then becomes not prototypically accurate.

        Raymond (Morissette): what is your angle on that, being from an
        operator?

        CBVG
      • raymorrissette@sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2004
          In real railroading....anything can go

          Tonight I have the following trains:

          M 30711-04 with 2 Dash-9 (4400HP) and 10 loads 5 empties.......

          Also leaving Joffre(Quebec)

          M 30921-05
          1 sd-75 + 1 Dash-9(4400hp) + 1 Gp-9U + 1 slug
          and 2 loads 5 empties 428 tons 695 feet.....

          Are you running your trains overpower as CN does ????

          Sometimes those are deadhead moves to move extra power where it is most needed....

          Raymond Morrissette
          Z Scale
          CN RTC/CCF MTL Desk-16
          Bedford-Dartmouth-Springhill-Sussex-Napadogan subdivisions
          MP 44 emb Granby spur
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2004
            --- raymorrissette@... a écrit : > In real
            railroading....anything can go

            > Tonight I have the following trains:
            >
            > M 30711-04 with 2 Dash-9 (4400HP) and 10 loads 5
            > empties.......
            >
            > Also leaving Joffre(Quebec)
            >
            > M 30921-05
            > 1 sd-75 + 1 Dash-9(4400hp) + 1 Gp-9U + 1 slug
            > and 2 loads 5 empties 428 tons 695 feet.....
            >
            > Are you running your trains overpower as CN does
            > ????

            Even UP does the same....If you watch the DVD "Change
            in the Tehachapis, BNSF's Mojave sub" (Highball
            productions), you see a pair of UP SD40-2s gliding
            down from Caliente to Illmon with a very heavy train
            of 2 piggyback cars (and 4 trailers total load!).
            Cheers,
            Dominique