Re: Count your blessings - Re: [z_scale] Re: Happy New Year!

  • kurtulueck@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
      In einer eMail vom 02.01.2004 16:16:06 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
      saviano@...:

      > One of the biggerst complaints I have about Marklin is that their models
      > all
      > seem to be "limited editions" in order to create a false market, and the
      > Insider cars usually end up in a slightly modified production run. It makes
      > kit-bashing a real mental struggle: If I weather the cars, do they go up or
      > down in value? The only way to answer that question is to ask another
      > question: Are we talking about resale value, or hobby value?

      Rick,

      doing limited run is a wide known practice on the MR market. You are right,
      Märklin of course is trying to convince potential buyers by the "limited"
      versions. Here in Germany a lot of collectors are buying sometimes incredible stuff
      from Märklin, just to have the collection complete.

      The "limited runs" are normally that big, that the items will never get
      really big value increase. I personally buy only the stuff I really like and do
      what I want with this purchase and feel good! Don't worry - be happy!

      Happy New Year!

      Kurt

      The Redrock Railroad - Home of the Desert Hog
      www.redrockrail.com

    • rohirrim98236
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        Rick Saviano <saviano@w...> wrote:
        <snip> Some of the limited editions are wotrthwhile, though. We
        bought a gondola car a few years ago ...... A part of the proceeds
        actually went to the repair of the prototype church bell that the car
        depicted - I've always been a sucker for a good story, especially if
        it's true. <snip>

        Actually the story is even better than that: As a part of a major
        effort, Märklin donated 5 DM for every one of those gondolas sold to
        the reconstruction of the Dresden Frauenkirche (Church of Our Mother).
        The church was destroyed during one night of massive and terrfying
        bombing near the end of world war two. Only one corner of the rather
        unique square footprint was left standing amid a pile of ruins. The
        church is now being rebuilt -- I believe almost entirely from private
        donations. The project is a civic effort to restore something and
        make a bridge to the city's past

        Märklin's effort coincided with the delivery of a newly cast bell for
        the church's tower. This occured about the same time as a major train
        show in Dresden, in which Marklin was a major player. Hence, a small
        bell was the gondula load. Thus, your purchase helped heal a scar
        from over 50 years ago.

        ELF