Loose rails

  • tsa47
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
      Some of my Marklin rails are coming loose from their ties.
      What is the best glue to glue down the rails.
      I am thinking of using instant glue ( super glue ), but I believe
      they will deteriorate over time and crystallize.
      Any suggestions?

      Thanks
      Tsa
    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        My $0.02 as a lifelong model builder. My personal preference is the Zap
        line of adhesives ( I won't call them all CA's, cyanoacrylates, because
        they aren't).

        While I haven't tried it for this application they make one called
        Flex-Zap that remains flexible, like a stiff silicone. As someone
        mentioned earlier, true CA's are crystaline in nature, and are subject
        to failure under repeated stress cycles.

        They also make something called Rail Zip, but I have no experience with
        that.
      • ztrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          I had a similar experience years ago. I tried using CA glue to hold the track
          in place. This met with mixed results. Ultimately, I ended up replacing the
          sections of track that were the problem. I have had no problems since.

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com

        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
            Hello Tsa,

            Cyanoacrylic glue varies from maker to maker. I
            recommend: 3M, Locktite, Zap or Handibond brands.

            Not recommended: "SuperGlue" brand.

            But the strongest bonding method is with a good 2 part
            fast epoxy. Again, use the top brands recommended above.

            Good luck,
            Reynard
            On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 09:33 AM, tsa47 wrote:

            > Some of my Marklin rails are coming loose from their ties.
            > What is the best glue to glue down the rails.
            > I am thinking of using instant glue ( super glue ), but I believe
            > they will deteriorate over time and crystallize.
            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Tsa
            >

            > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!� Highly addictive in Small
            > DoseZ!

            <image.tiff>