Count your blessings - Re: [z_scale] Re: Happy New Year!

  • Rick Saviano
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
      Bill,

      I agree, but I wish to amend your observation:
      "I cannot help but be amazed that I have been able to reach a life style where
      one of the big disapointments of this day is that I cannot
      YET
      afford an AZL GS4 with those beautiful Daylight cars . . . nstead of worrying
      about their next meal or a warm place to sleep."

      I added the YET because, as we all know, if the perceived need is strong
      enough, we will find a way to get our "little toys."

      One of the biggerst complaints I have about Marklin is that their models all
      seem to be "limited editions" in order to create a false market, and the
      Insider cars usually end up in a slightly modified production run. It makes
      kit-bashing a real mental struggle: If I weather the cars, do they go up or
      down in value? The only way to answer that question is to ask another
      question: Are we talking about resale value, or hobby value?

      Some of the limited editions are wotrthwhile, though. We bought a gondola
      car a few years ago for three reasons:

      1) It was a "Limited Edition"
      2) It was unique in design because of the open load - a brass bell in a
      "wooden" support frame that helped tell a story when coupled with the
      Coppingen church model we bought earlier.
      3) A part of the proceeds actually went to the repair of the prototype
      church bell that the car depicted - I've always been a sucker for a good
      story, especially if it's true.

      Now, the price of the car wasn't expensive (unless you compare it to the
      occasional "buck-a-car" prices I sometimes paid when I modelled in N), but I
      had to laugh at myself for trying to justify a purchase by seeing it as
      partially an act of charity.

      Happy New Year to all Z-nuts: May we always be able to afford the time and
      money to pursue our hobbies.

      -Rick Saviano

      First United Methodist Church wrote:

> [...]
    • jmac_han
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        Dear Z friends,

        We are indeed fortunate to have the time and resources to indulge
        ourselves in our hobbies. Our concerns have evolved in recent years
        from "wondering 'IF' such and such a loco etc. will every be
        produced in Z" to "wondering 'WHEN'... It's been quite astonishing
        to see the rapid developments in our hobby. And it looks like
        things will only get better and better.

        I strongly feel that, because we are so fortunate, we should try to
        find ways that our hobby interests may contribute to greater and
        more important causes than our material desires.

        The first train shows that I attended were organized by a local
        youth charity and food bank (Sun Youth). For as long as I have
        lived in Quebec and Montreal, I have taken part in their shows (9 in
        total so far). When I lived in Vancouver and Toronto, I supported
        the local Lions Clubs who put on train shows as fund raisers.

        Of course, I have indulged myself exhibiting at commercial shows
        around the USA, Canada and Europe but I have always given priority
        to shows put on by non-profits and charities. Now that I have once
        again taken up permanent residence in Montreal, my plans are to
        become an active volunteer at the Canadian Railroad Museum.

        But my activities are really not much compared to the work of people
        like Terry Sutfin who goes much further by organizing a food drive
        whenever the Great American Train Show (GATS) is in Portland or
        Salem, OR or in the Seattle, WA area.

        So, at the dawn of another great year for Z, my message is an
        invitation to all of us to try to give a little back to our
        communities through our hobby interests. Support your local charity
        train shows, offer to organize a food drive or a clothing collection
        as part of the admission price, or volunteer if your time allows.

        No matter what our cares and woes may be, we still have so much to
        be thankful for.

        Health, happiness and serenity to all in this new year,
        Jeffrey MacHan
      • kurtulueck@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          In einer eMail vom 02.01.2004 16:16:06 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
          saviano@...:

          > One of the biggerst complaints I have about Marklin is that their models
          > all
          > seem to be "limited editions" in order to create a false market, and the
          > Insider cars usually end up in a slightly modified production run. It makes
          > kit-bashing a real mental struggle: If I weather the cars, do they go up or
          > down in value? The only way to answer that question is to ask another
          > question: Are we talking about resale value, or hobby value?

          Rick,

          doing limited run is a wide known practice on the MR market. You are right,
          Märklin of course is trying to convince potential buyers by the "limited"
          versions. Here in Germany a lot of collectors are buying sometimes incredible stuff
          from Märklin, just to have the collection complete.

          The "limited runs" are normally that big, that the items will never get
          really big value increase. I personally buy only the stuff I really like and do
          what I want with this purchase and feel good! Don't worry - be happy!

          Happy New Year!

          Kurt

          The Redrock Railroad - Home of the Desert Hog
          www.redrockrail.com

        • rohirrim98236
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
            Rick Saviano <saviano@w...> wrote:
            <snip> Some of the limited editions are wotrthwhile, though. We
            bought a gondola car a few years ago ...... A part of the proceeds
            actually went to the repair of the prototype church bell that the car
            depicted - I've always been a sucker for a good story, especially if
            it's true. <snip>

            Actually the story is even better than that: As a part of a major
            effort, Märklin donated 5 DM for every one of those gondolas sold to
            the reconstruction of the Dresden Frauenkirche (Church of Our Mother).
            The church was destroyed during one night of massive and terrfying
            bombing near the end of world war two. Only one corner of the rather
            unique square footprint was left standing amid a pile of ruins. The
            church is now being rebuilt -- I believe almost entirely from private
            donations. The project is a civic effort to restore something and
            make a bridge to the city's past

            Märklin's effort coincided with the delivery of a newly cast bell for
            the church's tower. This occured about the same time as a major train
            show in Dresden, in which Marklin was a major player. Hence, a small
            bell was the gondula load. Thus, your purchase helped heal a scar
            from over 50 years ago.

            ELF