Update from the Texas & Beyond MRHS

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
      Happy New Year to all from Texas.

      Just a quick note (since I haven't posted in a while) to say "hi" and
      let everyone know that we're busy prepping for our first show of the
      new year, and neck-deep in new projects.

      Also, we've changed our web URL, so please bookmark us to keep up with
      the latest goings on at the Texas & Beyond. Our new web page is:

      www.texasandbeyond.org

      I'll be adding new content during the next week, and linking to
      existing things that were in the geocities pages (there's a LOT there
      to link to). Plus we've got show reports from Mesquite (last June)
      where there were 3 (count 'em, three!) Z scale layouts (us, David
      George, and Glen Chenier). Someone should have told GATS that it was
      a Z scale show! And the Ft. Worth this past September needs to be
      added.

      I've also gathered a HUGE collection of railfan photos this past year
      (thanks to all the traveling and new digital camera) and will be
      adding those as time permits. (Locations include Dallas/Ft. Worth,
      TX; Union Station, Washington, DC; Grand Central Station, NYC; Hawk's
      Nest, WV; Belle, WV; Ashland, KY; Ironton, OH; and more...)

      We've taken the best of the locomotive shots and have made a 2004
      calendar for members, but I might be able to get copies made for
      interested individuals. I'll post the calendar pics on the web site
      by next week for preview, and if you're interested email me at
      texasandbeyondmrhs@... and we'll talk.

      This weekend (Jan 3 & 4) the Texas & Beyond Railroad will be on
      display at the Great American Train Show - Arlington, TX. The show
      was a blast in 2003, drawing @12,000 visitors, and landing us on the
      front page of the Arlington News section of the Dallas Morning News.

      So 2003 was a good year for the Texas & Beyond. We displayed the Z
      layout at 4 shows in front of @23,000 people, and made two
      newspapers. With some SPECTACULAR new modules under construction
      (come see us at GATS Mesquite in April for the roll-out!) including a
      4-foot scratch-built bridge, two new corners to make the layout an
      oval, and a new Mountain Branch, it should be neat stuff! Plus we
      have our first F7 in shop for DCC addition!

      Finally, after some discussion among our group, it looks like we WILL
      participate in the Z Scale layout at NTS 2005 Cincinatti. So I've
      got to get in touch with the module coordinator for info. Then to
      convince everyone about the benefits of showing at the tabletop level
      of Z top... :-)

      Bill K. please email me at aa5821@... so we can get the specs
      to tie into the NWX clover.

      Thanks, Happy New Year, and be Zeeing you!

      Adam Amick
      Dallas, Texas, USA
      Texas & Beyond Model Railroad and Historical Society
      www.texasandbeyond.org
    • rsmidt1
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2004
        "Finally, after some discussion among our group, it looks like we
        WILL participate in the Z Scale layout at NTS 2005 Cincinatti. So
        I've got to get in touch with the module coordinator for info."

        > Adam Amick
        > Dallas, Texas, USA
        > Texas & Beyond Model Railroad and Historical Society
        > www.texasandbeyond.org

        Adam,

        The module coordinator for NTS 2005 would be me. After making a
        number of initial contacts with some of the clubs out there, we've
        got a good start. I am a little behind now that I have a six month
        old son at home, but things are getting a little easier now, so I am
        getting my head of steam up again.

        Now that it's 2004, I think I can safely announce plans for the 2005
        NTS in Cincinnatti

        So far, I have committments from:

        NorthWest Crossing Z-Bend Track
        Washington, DC Z-Bend Track
        Texas and Beyond (thanks Adam, I appreciate it)
        Jeffery White and Stan Jones modules
        Use of the transition modules that reside with Dallas, Garland &
        Mesquite

        Also have tentative committments (after first round of inquiries)
        from:
        Richmond ZtrainZ
        San Antonio
        Ohio

        We have heard from groups using three different module standards and
        are working on building transition modules from Z-Bend Track to
        ZtrainZ (new standard since the big show in 2002).

        With the recent proliferation in new clubs over the last year, we
        have the potential to more than double the number of modules and the
        total length of track from our last big effort! The DC group alone
        will more than double what it is bringing and it sounds like others
        maybe growing as well.

        Don't feel left out if I haven't contacted you yet, I haven't gotten
        to everyone. If you want to participate, please feel free to contact
        me at rsmidt@... .

        Individuals with modules are definitely welcome also (that's how the
        DC club got started).

        Jeffrey White is also leading an effort to organize individual Z
        layouts (as opposed to module groups) that will be displaying at NTS
        2005.

        And don't forgot the Z scale convention before the show!

        2005 is going to be huge for Z scale. I can't wait to see what
        happens in 2004.

        Thanks,
        Randy Smidt
        Clifton, VA
        Washington, DC Z-Bend Track
        NTS 2005 module coordinator
      • Ell Geib
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2004
          I don't know who is going to be at the N-Trak convention, but when
          Northern Virginia N-Trak hosted it several years back they had a
          number of other scale groups with setups. No Z at that time though.
          The one they hosted before was a spectacular show. And the crowds
          were huge. They got superb free advertising when local Washington, DC
          TV news channels picked up on the story of the show having the
          largest model railroad setup in the world.

          Ell Geib

        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2004
            In a message dated 1/1/04 10:47:59 PM, the_saint_75240@... writes:

            > Finally, after some discussion among our group, it looks like we WILL
            > participate in the Z Scale layout at NTS 2005 Cincinatti
            >
            > So I've
            > got to get in touch with the module coordinator for info.  Then to
            > convince everyone about the benefits of showing at the tabletop level
            > of Z top... :-)

            This is great news! Cincinnati is looking to be an amazing show. Ztrack will
            have a large presence. We also will be hosting a Z scale convention in
            Columbus the week leading up to the NTS in Cincinnati. I have two people working on
            the details for event. It should be a lot of fun!

            Rob Kluz

            Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
            www.ztrack.com

          • jmac_han
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2004
              Hi Rob,`

              I'm looking forward to the Z convention at NTS 2005. You might want
              to take into account that, as an NMRA SIG, we have free access to
              meeting rooms at the NMRA convention, the week of the National Train
              Show. I would be happy to lend a hand in planning and getting in
              touch with the host committee to reserve space for the Z convention
              activities (if desired, of course).

              Although it's too early to say for sure, the VEC is tentatively
              expected to be at NTS 2005 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Looking forward to
              seeing a big Z turnout at this historic event.

              CheerZ,
              Jeffrey

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, ztrack@a... wrote:

              > This is great news! Cincinnati is looking to be an amazing show.
              Ztrack will
              > have a large presence. We also will be hosting a Z scale
              convention in
              > Columbus the week leading up to the NTS in Cincinnati. I have two
              people working on
              > the details for event. It should be a lot of fun!
              >
              > Rob Kluz

            • jim_manley_alpha_six
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2004
                Happy New Year, Fellow YoungsterZ and GeeZers!

                Um, it's nice that everyone is already planning for NTS 2005, and
                I realize most folks on this list outside of the Pacific Northwest Z
                Scalers and those of us here in the Bay area won't be able to
                attend NTS 2004 in Seattle. I've also probably missed a
                discussion that may have occurred right after NTS 2003 didn't
                happen in Toronto, but when was the discussion about which Z
                layouts are going to be featured at NTS 2004, which is still six
                months away? A search of the archives for "NTS 2004" doesn't
                pick up anything (and, yes, I did hit the "Next" link a bunch of
                times going back to July, Jeffrey :) and a search for NTS 2004
                picks up every message since New Years Day, and every
                message containing a word with "nts" in it, like "apartments".

                So, which memberZ/layoutZ/moduleZ are going to NTS 2004,
                when was/is the cutoff date to reserve space for layouts/modules
                (beyond NTS attendance reservation), who is the (Z scale?)
                layout/module coordinator, and anything else nice to know in this
                vein? I am sure I missed previous discussions about this, but it
                would be great to recap everyone's plans.

                ThankZ and All the BeZt!
                Jim
              • jmac_han
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
                  Hi Jim,

                  I keep an up-to-date info file on all NTS activities in our 'files'
                  section. There is a direct link to the file on Z_Scale's home
                  page. See the "Z at NTS" link.

                  or follow this one...

                  Layouts already booked for NTS Seattle are:
                  Terry Sutfin's PVDC
                  David George's G~B&CC
                  Pacific Northwest Z scalers modules

                  Cheers,
                  Jeffrey

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jim_manley_alpha_six"
                  <jim_manley@h...> wrote:
                  > Happy New Year, Fellow YoungsterZ and GeeZers!

                  > So, which memberZ/layoutZ/moduleZ are going to NTS 2004,
                  > when was/is the cutoff date to reserve space for
                  layouts/modules
                  > (beyond NTS attendance reservation), who is the (Z scale?)
                  > layout/module coordinator, and anything else nice to know in
                  this
                  > vein?
                  > ThankZ and All the BeZt!
                  > Jim
                • Jim Glass
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
                    Tom Gilchrist (tomg@...) is<mailto:tomg@...)%20is> our club member in charge of Z for NTS 2004.

                    jimgl

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Hi Jeffrey, Jim, Tom,and Randy,

                      I should have known better from my days in the government bureaucracy
                      - convention center bureaucracies operate on timelines years in
                      advance (ask the bankrupt organizers of COMDEX in Las Vegas and
                      Chicago how hard it is to accurately project participation of vendors
                      and attendees five years ahead, and bet deposits that were lost when
                      the economy collapsed - I guess that's why Las Vegas is one of their
                      venues!).

                      I'll be at NTS 2004 in case anyone needs another pair of
                      hands/pliers/diagonal cutters/strippers (the wire kind, you
                      smart-alecks! ;) I hope to be able to attend at least one of the
                      events between now and July where the Pacific Northwest Z Scalers will
                      have a presence, so we can do the mutual doggy-sniffing exercise to
                      get to know one another. Are any of my fellow Bay Area Brethren
                      planning on attending any part of the festivities in Seattle in July
                      (fully recognizing that the first day of the NMRA conference is
                      Independence Day - just another July 4th for our international
                      friendZ, but the train show is just 9 - 11 July :) ?

                      I noticed in the tours section of the NMRA/NTS 2004 site that there's
                      only one Z layout that will be on display on the tours, Stan
                      Silverman's 5 x 7 foot layout in Issaquah, which is a side-show for
                      his Sylvan House Railway G scale layout, and he will also be showng
                      one of Tim and Laura Dillon's TY 1:900 scale layouts, and I also
                      happen to own one. Any recommendations from the locals on must-see tours?

                      ThankZ everyone, and All Z BeZt,
                      Jim

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jmac_han" wrote:

                      > Layouts already booked for NTS Seattle are:
                      > Terry Sutfin's PVDC
                      > David George's G~B&CC
                      > Pacific Northwest Z scalers modules
                    • frederick ladd
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 6, 2004
                        Jim,
                        I have been interested in the 1:900 TINY TRAINS. I see they have a Santa Fe. How is your layout? The detail of the train, etc. Would like to hear from Tiny Train
                        Enfusiasts. How's it work?
                        Fred
                        smart-alecks! ;) and he will also be showng