Re: Results of my poll

  • mrnosal
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- Rob Kluz wrote:
      >... Here in the US, about 40% of subscribers
      > to Ztrack model primarily European.
      > ...In producing Ztrack, I really try to balance a mix
      > of US and Euro themes. I think it is working well and
      > gives Ztrack an interesting look and variety of articles.
      >
      > Happy New Year from another ETE member,
      > Rob Kluz

      Another reason why Ztrack is unique, as it seems to be the only
      magazine I can find in the US that does this.

      General model railroading magazines, such as Model Railroader, are
      North American (well, US + Canada) specific. Scale-specific magazines
      in the US, like "N Scale Railroading" and "N-Scale" are also NA-
      centric.

      I appreciate being able to see models, layouts and techniques from
      around the world. Same applies to the membership of this group -
      modellers in NA (and Europe) who model European trains, modellers in
      Europe who model NA (and European) trains.

      Now, if we could just get UK and Japanese models into Z-scale...

      --Mike (Euro (DRG) now, but planning a NA layout too)
    • Scott A. Whitmire
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        The problem with modeling Europe is that the railfan trips are VERRRYYY
        expensive :-)

        Truly, we tend to model what we see, or what we remember seeing. I think
        most people model the era in which they turned 11 (our world view is shaped
        by current events between our 11th and 18th birthdays), even if it's only
        subconsciously.

        >Joe,
        >
        >I am not surprised by your results. Here in the US, about 40% of subscribers
        >to Ztrack model primarily European. I personally think that the Euro modelers
        >are really neglected in the US, regardless of scale choice. The large number
        >of Märklin dealers should give some idea of interest. In producing Ztrack, I
        >really try to balance a mix of US and Euro themes. I think it is working well
        >and gives Ztrack an interesting look and variety of articles.
        >
        >Happy New Year from another ETE member,
        >Rob Kluz

        Scott Whitmire
        West Coast,