Results of my poll

  • Joe Krepps
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Greetings all,

      I wasn't going to post the results of my poll unless requested. However,
      I was surprised that there are almost as many European prototype
      modelers as North American! Even those who model mostly N. American &
      some Euro are very closely followed by those who model mostly Euro &
      some N. American.
      I hope that 2004 brings all of us the N. American and/or European
      prototypes we're looking for! :)

      Best wishes,
      Joe Krepps <-one of the Euro guys, member of ETE
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        Joe,

        I am not surprised by your results. Here in the US, about 40% of subscribers
        to Ztrack model primarily European. I personally think that the Euro modelers
        are really neglected in the US, regardless of scale choice. The large number
        of Märklin dealers should give some idea of interest. In producing Ztrack, I
        really try to balance a mix of US and Euro themes. I think it is working well
        and gives Ztrack an interesting look and variety of articles.

        Happy New Year from another ETE member,
        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        Phone/Fax (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • mrnosal
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
          --- Rob Kluz wrote:
          >... Here in the US, about 40% of subscribers
          > to Ztrack model primarily European.
          > ...In producing Ztrack, I really try to balance a mix
          > of US and Euro themes. I think it is working well and
          > gives Ztrack an interesting look and variety of articles.
          >
          > Happy New Year from another ETE member,
          > Rob Kluz

          Another reason why Ztrack is unique, as it seems to be the only
          magazine I can find in the US that does this.

          General model railroading magazines, such as Model Railroader, are
          North American (well, US + Canada) specific. Scale-specific magazines
          in the US, like "N Scale Railroading" and "N-Scale" are also NA-
          centric.

          I appreciate being able to see models, layouts and techniques from
          around the world. Same applies to the membership of this group -
          modellers in NA (and Europe) who model European trains, modellers in
          Europe who model NA (and European) trains.

          Now, if we could just get UK and Japanese models into Z-scale...

          --Mike (Euro (DRG) now, but planning a NA layout too)
        • Scott A. Whitmire
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
            The problem with modeling Europe is that the railfan trips are VERRRYYY
            expensive :-)

            Truly, we tend to model what we see, or what we remember seeing. I think
            most people model the era in which they turned 11 (our world view is shaped
            by current events between our 11th and 18th birthdays), even if it's only
            subconsciously.

            >Joe,
            >
            >I am not surprised by your results. Here in the US, about 40% of subscribers
            >to Ztrack model primarily European. I personally think that the Euro modelers
            >are really neglected in the US, regardless of scale choice. The large number
            >of Märklin dealers should give some idea of interest. In producing Ztrack, I
            >really try to balance a mix of US and Euro themes. I think it is working well
            >and gives Ztrack an interesting look and variety of articles.
            >
            >Happy New Year from another ETE member,
            >Rob Kluz

            Scott Whitmire
            West Coast,