Re: [z_scale] Opinion of Halwa track and turnouts

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hello Loren,

      I've tested and used Halwas' exceptional looking large
      curved turnouts and they are very good. Using Micro Trains
      Line Co. (MTL) flex track works fine with many different
      turnouts. I have also tested Peter Wright and Aspen Model
      turnouts and they work just fine with MTL flex track.
      (I think Halwa actually makes the Aspen Model turnout.)
      In some cases the rail may de-bond from the ties and you
      should epoxy it back in place. Use the MTL Z scale track gauge
      to check your gauging before the bonding agent sets.

      I use our #1045 "Archimedean Ground Throw" for all these
      turnouts, since none of the turnouts come with an actuator or solenoid
      throw. The #1045s can be motorized with any old DC motor outfitted
      with a module .25 spur gear, although I have chosen to forego this
      as all my switch positions are within arms' reach. Have not tried
      the "Tortoise Motor" actuator yet but I see no reason not to
      look into it.

      Mixing up different track components by various manufacturers
      can be done but careful attention should be paid to alignment,
      height, S curves and easements. Tie spacing can be goofy
      looking if you use Marklin track, but the trains will run anyway.

      Once you have laid your "mixed track", cut some extra sleepers
      (ties) from some of your scrap track to fill in gaps that occur at
      the track joints. Paint to color match the ties if you like.

      Feel free to write or give us a call, if you have any questions.

      Best regards,
      Reynard Wellman
      http://www.micronart.com/
      512-292-7065

      On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 10:27 PM, loren snyder wrote:

      > Still researching before I spend my sheckles.� I've been reading
      > about track and since I want to model NA railroading, I want NA
      > looking track.� Halwa looks pretty good to me, just wondering if it
      > would be best to go purely Halwa or maybe mix Halwa turnouts with MT
      > track?� Anyone out there use Halwa and if so, what are your thoughts
      > and experiences with it?� Happy Zew Year to all !!!! Loren
      >

      > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!� Highly addictive in Small
      > DoseZ!

      <image.tiff>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > �
      > �

    • Markus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        Halwa track products are very high quality, especially turnouts,
        when carefully installed. The sectional pieces are a bit annoying
        to work with, if you are used to traditional "Set Track" pieces.

        Halwa products are now made/handled by Aspenmodel.

        If I'm not mistaken, it appears that Aspendmodel does not make code
        55 track products for Z anymore (like Halwa did) -- at least
        according to their PDF US track listing. Original Halwa track
        products matched up with MT flex decently.

        I don't believe that their Code 40 products would be a good match
        for MT flex track (or any other brand for that matter). I would
        recommend that you have a look at Peter Wrights Z turnouts as a
        worthwhile alternative, if you are not willing to pay for code 40
        Aspenmodel track pieces. The Code 40 track does look amazing,
        especially if lightly weathered.

        Markuszzz

        > Still researching before I spend my sheckles. I've been reading
        > about track and since I want to model NA railroading, I want NA
        > looking track. Halwa looks pretty good to me, just wondering if
      • griffinfgms39157
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "loren snyder" <tealplanes4me@y...>
          wrote:
          > Still researching before I spend my sheckles. I've been reading
          > about track and since I want to model NA railroading, I want NA
          > looking track. Halwa looks pretty good to me, just wondering if
          it
          > would be best to go purely Halwa or maybe mix Halwa turnouts with
          MT
          > track? Anyone out there use Halwa and if so, what are your
          thoughts
          > and experiences with it? Happy Zew Year to all !!!! Loren

          Loren---In looking around zee, I ordered Code 55 turnouts from
          Aspenmodel (1250 & 1251) that I'm mingling with MT flex on a simple
          oval plan (cut down from HO plans). The t/o look great----only
          issue being tie spacing (as noted). I'll deal with t/o controls
          after deciding on DCC.....

          Cheers in the new year,

          Fred Griffin