Opinion of Halwa track and turnouts

  • loren snyder
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2003
      Still researching before I spend my sheckles. I've been reading
      about track and since I want to model NA railroading, I want NA
      looking track. Halwa looks pretty good to me, just wondering if it
      would be best to go purely Halwa or maybe mix Halwa turnouts with MT
      track? Anyone out there use Halwa and if so, what are your thoughts
      and experiences with it? Happy Zew Year to all !!!! Loren
    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        Hello Loren,

        I've tested and used Halwas' exceptional looking large
        curved turnouts and they are very good. Using Micro Trains
        Line Co. (MTL) flex track works fine with many different
        turnouts. I have also tested Peter Wright and Aspen Model
        turnouts and they work just fine with MTL flex track.
        (I think Halwa actually makes the Aspen Model turnout.)
        In some cases the rail may de-bond from the ties and you
        should epoxy it back in place. Use the MTL Z scale track gauge
        to check your gauging before the bonding agent sets.

        I use our #1045 "Archimedean Ground Throw" for all these
        turnouts, since none of the turnouts come with an actuator or solenoid
        throw. The #1045s can be motorized with any old DC motor outfitted
        with a module .25 spur gear, although I have chosen to forego this
        as all my switch positions are within arms' reach. Have not tried
        the "Tortoise Motor" actuator yet but I see no reason not to
        look into it.

        Mixing up different track components by various manufacturers
        can be done but careful attention should be paid to alignment,
        height, S curves and easements. Tie spacing can be goofy
        looking if you use Marklin track, but the trains will run anyway.

        Once you have laid your "mixed track", cut some extra sleepers
        (ties) from some of your scrap track to fill in gaps that occur at
        the track joints. Paint to color match the ties if you like.

        Feel free to write or give us a call, if you have any questions.

        Best regards,
        Reynard Wellman
        http://www.micronart.com/
        512-292-7065

        On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 10:27 PM, loren snyder wrote:

        > Still researching before I spend my sheckles.� I've been reading
        > about track and since I want to model NA railroading, I want NA
        > looking track.� Halwa looks pretty good to me, just wondering if it
        > would be best to go purely Halwa or maybe mix Halwa turnouts with MT
        > track?� Anyone out there use Halwa and if so, what are your thoughts
        > and experiences with it?� Happy Zew Year to all !!!! Loren
        >

        > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!� Highly addictive in Small
        > DoseZ!

        <image.tiff>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > �
        > �

      • Markus
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
          Halwa track products are very high quality, especially turnouts,
          when carefully installed. The sectional pieces are a bit annoying
          to work with, if you are used to traditional "Set Track" pieces.

          Halwa products are now made/handled by Aspenmodel.

          If I'm not mistaken, it appears that Aspendmodel does not make code
          55 track products for Z anymore (like Halwa did) -- at least
          according to their PDF US track listing. Original Halwa track
          products matched up with MT flex decently.

          I don't believe that their Code 40 products would be a good match
          for MT flex track (or any other brand for that matter). I would
          recommend that you have a look at Peter Wrights Z turnouts as a
          worthwhile alternative, if you are not willing to pay for code 40
          Aspenmodel track pieces. The Code 40 track does look amazing,
          especially if lightly weathered.

          Markuszzz

          > Still researching before I spend my sheckles. I've been reading
          > about track and since I want to model NA railroading, I want NA
          > looking track. Halwa looks pretty good to me, just wondering if
        • griffinfgms39157
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "loren snyder" <tealplanes4me@y...>
            wrote:
            > Still researching before I spend my sheckles. I've been reading
            > about track and since I want to model NA railroading, I want NA
            > looking track. Halwa looks pretty good to me, just wondering if
            it
            > would be best to go purely Halwa or maybe mix Halwa turnouts with
            MT
            > track? Anyone out there use Halwa and if so, what are your
            thoughts
            > and experiences with it? Happy Zew Year to all !!!! Loren

            Loren---In looking around zee, I ordered Code 55 turnouts from
            Aspenmodel (1250 & 1251) that I'm mingling with MT flex on a simple
            oval plan (cut down from HO plans). The t/o look great----only
            issue being tie spacing (as noted). I'll deal with t/o controls
            after deciding on DCC.....

            Cheers in the new year,

            Fred Griffin