Re: Minimum radius for MTL F7

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2003
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "themohican2003"
      <themohican2003@y...> wrote:
      > Just a word of caution about minimum radii, MTL 50 ft cars have
      > difficulty negotiating 195 or smaller radius due to being body
      mount
      > couplers. They turn one way OK but the opposite turn interferes
      with
      > the trucks. The coupler box is not symetrically shaped and doesn't
      > allow full swing of the truck frame.

      This jogs old memories. Here's the fix as best i can remember, but
      old age and Christmas Spirits (hic!) dull the recollection. Working
      from an old gripe email to Eric Smith on this same subject, i do
      recall that the original truck supplied with the 50' car (MTL #
      953???) has a rectangular shaped opening slot for the bolster pin.
      The original bolster pin is also rectangular shaped to match, but if
      the bolster pin is changed to the round pin that is supplied with the
      MTL# 956 truck assembly, the original truck can be slipped towards
      the center of the car on the 956 pin. The original truck has a slight
      compression in the center resembling a figure 8, so the round pin
      allows the truck to be placed in either of two positions, forward or
      central. By slipping the truck to the center position of the car the
      coupler draft gear can be cleared on 145 mm radious curves. It
      worked for me, no more problems with 50' cars on 145mm cirves.