Mining truck

  • Vincent Goudreault
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2003
      Here is an interesting toy I found at Wal-Mart. Is is the Maisto, series 2:
      #28 "Marvel Die-Cast Colection"
      Quarry Dump truck. Although it is greatly out of proportion with the other
      vehicles in the serie (cars are about
      the same length, so scale varies greatly) it is about perfect for Z scale:

      Approximate toy dimentions:
      Lenght: 7.2 cm / 2.83 in
      Height: 3.7 cm / 1.46 in
      Width: 3.1 cm / 1.22 in
      Overall wheel diameter: 1.5 cm / 0.59 in

      Full size if Z scale:
      Lenght: 15.8 m / 52 ft
      Height: 8.1 m / 26.7 ft
      Width: 6.8 m / 22.4 ft
      Overall heel diameter: 3.3 m / 11 ft

      When comparing with a giant open pit mine dump truck, the dimentions are
      found to
      be in the right ballpark range:

      Komatsu 930E-2:
      Lenght: 15.32 m / 50 ft 3 in
      Height: 7.32 m / 24 ft
      Width: 8.69 m / 28 ft 6 in

      For a price of only $1.92 CDN (or $1.47 USD equivalent, approximately 1.18
      Euro), this is
      quite a good deal: all that is required is to remove the HULK (!) decals,
      including a RADIO-ACTIVE
      logo, and over-paint the Hulk-green it comes in, unless you insist that rear
      wheels should be double
      (the toy features single wheel in the read) and you can have you own Z scale
      modern mine partially
      equipped (I'll just keep looking for similarly size excavators...).

      CBVG