RE: USA Conversion shell for 8800/05

  • voyager4@xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxx)
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 1999
      Hi everyone,
      I've been lurking here for a little while since I am new to Z and
      just soaking up the knowledge. However, the mention of the ISM Alco
      0-6-0 replacement shell for the 8805 received my full attention. I
      purchased one of these pieces of junk to add to my American
      prototypes. Of course I sent it to the Stiskas to be checked and
      relubed. They tried very hard to make the thing run, but due to the
      badly made shell they were unsuccessful. Apparently, there are two
      major problems. The shell is too heavy and the inside of the shell is
      too small for the 8805. Both of these situations caused the motor to
      short out. I guess you could bore out a larger hole as Jeffrey has
      explained, and purchase a new 8805 and it would run. Being a newbie I
      have neither the experience nor the extra cash/time to do this right
      now. So there it sits, a $150.00 display item. If Bill Kronenberger
      doesn't take it off my hands, off to E-Bay it goes.
      Thanks to everyone on this list for your great insights.

      p.s. Anders, thanks for your vacation highlights. I enjoyed it.
      Cheers.

      --

      "Truth is in the eye of the beholder"
      Guinan:STTNG