Electronic track cleaning?

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
      I've searched so many sites of late that I don't remember where I've seen some items. I ran across an electrical device that is placed under the track board I believe, that somehow puts out some sort of electrical pulse or something of that nature. It is suposed to help an engine when it detects a fluxuation in the current draw, I guess due to dirty track. Anyway, I can't find it again to read up on it. Does anyone know what that device is, who sells it, and more importantly, does it really work. Thanks, Loren

    • Glenn and Sandy Stiska
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
        Hi Loren,

        We are hobbyists who are so sold on the electronic
        track cleaner that we buy them by the bunch from
        England and offer them for sale. We started doing
        this when we wanted to buy them for our own layouts
        in 1991 and found they weren't readily available here
        in the U.S.

        Jeffrey MacHan has put the following link in the
        Z Group/Forum about us and the Gaugemaster:

        With our best regards,
        Glenn and Sandy Stiska
        Largo, Florida

        In a message dated Saturday, 12/20/03 7:27 PM Loren Snyder writes:

        I've searched so many sites of late that I don't remember where I've
        seen some items. I ran across an electrical device that is placed
        under the track board I believe, that somehow puts out some sort
        of electrical pulse or something of that nature. It is suposed to help
        an engine when it detects a fluxuation in the current draw, I guess
        due to dirty track. Anyway, I can't find it again to read up on it. Does
        anyone know what that device is, who sells it, and more importantly,
        does it really work.
        Thanks,

      • Greg Elmassian
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
          I have two of them and they are great...

          (small Noch layout as seen on my site www.elmassian.com)

          Greg

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 21, 2003
            Dallee Electronics also makes a "keep-alive" booster. I have one that I
            haven't wired up yet, but I know people who swear by it.
            Steve Delibert
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
              --- "Steven Delibert" <STEVDEL@p...> wrote:
              > Dallee Electronics also makes a "keep-alive" booster.
              > I have one that I haven't wired up yet, but I know people
              > who swear by it.

              Here is that product:

              http://www.dallee.com/Keep_Alive.htm

              It seems not to be an electronic track cleaner. What it keeps alive
              is the train detection system at times when there is no track power.
              I guess it produces a weak alternating current, probably outside the
              audio range - something like 20k Hz, which is enough to activate the
              detectors (which look for current passing through the motor by
              detecting a voltage across a diode - in either direction) but not
              enough to move or damage the train. In most diode detectors a very
              weak DC signal is used for the same purpose.

              Jeremy.
            • Mark Harrison
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
                Hi Loren!

                I concur. I now have 2 of these attached to my layout
                http://harrison.neonexus.com/Trains.htm
                and i think they are a great product as well!

                Yes I was reluctant at first, but I am happy I purchased it!

                Well worth the cost! I am currently saving my pennies to by another one
                soon.

                :-)

                - Mark

[...]

                To visit your group on the web, go to: