More CNC

  • Nelson Snedeker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hi Guys :
      Jim Manley brought up something about my suggestion that
      I should have clarified . His question of how to make fine detail with
      out shattering tools is a very relevant one . The best solution I have
      found is to use Dremel tools in my Unimat modified into a permanent
      milling configuration . Using "O" rings for belts , and with adjustable
      tension on them , I have in effect a torque-matic control over the feed
      , too fast creates a stall of the tool before it is damaged . It also
      makes it possible to drill and tap a circle ( using the dividing head )
      or a line of 00-90 holes . To give some idea of what this entails at
      this scale , first you have to drill the #61 hole . Then without
      changing anything except removing the "O" ring belt and replacing the
      drill with the tap , you must feed and rotate the tap into the hole by
      hand with utmost care . When backing the tap out much care is needed as
      it clears the hole so the top threads are not damaged . This series must
      be repeated for each hole . Remember " Labor of Love " . Then visualize
      that for each change in tool dia. unless there is a compensating change
      in spindle speed , there is a peripheral change in the speed of the
      cutting edges of the tool which can over heat and dull the tool . All
      these things are accomplished at great expense with CNC equipment with
      the additional mess of cooling fluids to keep the tools from burning up
      at the speeds required to make CNC cost effective even with long product
      runs . It will take some technical break through I am unaware of to make
      "Z" much more economical . Look at it the way you approach any other
      entertainment . After a week end at the Park or the Stadium you have
      nothing but memories . The same expense lavished on "Z" will entertain
      you for weeks and may even develop some collectibles for the College
      Fund .

      Happy "Z" ing Nel