CNC

  • Nelson Snedeker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi Guys:
      I , like Ron , started out with a Unimat which lasted
      just long enough to make an operating chassis and running gear for a
      Live Steam "O" ga. Loco . It has now been set up as a drilling ,
      precision tapping , 3 axis milling machine . I too, moved on to a Taig ,
      again with all the goodies . Just purchasing the tooling to use with
      these machines is a substantial investment and a lot of their use is
      used up making the special tooling you need to make whatever projects
      you are working on . Set up time , in my limited experience , is the
      same or more for CNC . Each piece is a labor of Love and if you wish to
      change that to a labor for profit some of it or most of it , will have
      to be subcontracted . For instance Chassis makers , could trade for
      etched parts , any excess , in turn , could be traded for Wheels , Bells
      , etc. . Instead of money changing hands , the various talents of the
      group could be distributed throughout the group . Also , there could be
      a surplus of major pieces made into kits to sell to members or any other
      enthusiast . And that , Gentlemen , is how Corporations get their
      start . :-)

      Hope I didn't get too technical Happy "Z" ing Nel