Re: [z_scale] My engines wont go

  • Ralph Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
      You could try CRC CO contact cleaner - let it soak in and evaporare then relube . On double truck Locos some times the simple act of removing the pivot pin and removing the truck will allow you to spray cleaning fluid directly onto the gears. this will also allow you to check when the gears are freely moving.

      You may need a set of jewelers screwdrivers, tweezers or small piers and a bright light and possibly a magnifying glass to help you do this

      If a simple spray clean fails then the only alternative is to carefully disasemble clean and reassemble the gearbox. This can be problematic so you need to take careful note of where each gear is located and which way around they sit in the chassis,. It would pay to make a drawing as you disassemble and lay the parts out on a piece of paper in the order and position you take them apart. Only disasemble one truck at a time -this will make fault finding easier. if the loko has wheels with driving rods attached eg crocodile try to mark the inside of the wheels so you can relocate them in their original exact position. watch out for very tiny internal idler gears that pivot on the inside of the chassis.
      this job requires a lot of time and patience!
      Ralph
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Scott" <ralph.scott@x> wrote:

        > If a simple spray clean fails then the only alternative is to
        >carefully disasemble clean and reassemble the gearbox. This can be
        >problematic so you need to take careful note of where each gear is
        >located and which way around they sit in the chassis,. It would pay
        >to make a drawing as you disassemble and lay the parts out on a
        >piece of paper in the order and position you take them apart.

        Good advice. I'd like to add every part should be marked with a fine
        tipped felt marker with an identifying number and
        left/right/front/rear orientation to help with re-assembly. Gear
        teeth wear in a pattern dependent on their mating gears, even parts
        that were identical when new will become individual after wear.