STEP/CNC and Rapid Prototyping

  • rsmidt1
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      "but we are more likely to be working plastic, wood, and soft metals
      like brass and non-alloy aluminum"

      My first experience with CNC machining was using wax blocks. What
      about using this CNC process to make wax masters for making molds by
      lost wax casting? Would this be a cheaper route to get to full
      production? If you have the design file for the master, you can make
      as many copies of the master as needed when the mold wears out. Less
      durable, but less expensive molds, might not be a hindrance if the
      process to make new molds is easy and inexpensive.

      Also, will the STEP protocol work with Rapid Prototyping machines?
      At least one of the manufacturers that John Bartolotto mentioned
      during the vehicle model discussion said they use RP for making their
      masters.

      Thanks,
      Randy Smidt