Re: [z_scale] HTML banner ads

  • megott@ufl.edu
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
      Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
      to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
      company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
      access to my computer that I never even knew went on.

      Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
      computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
      You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
      acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
      keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
      permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
      get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.

      Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
      --
      Manfred
    • Ole Rosted
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
        On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 06:54:50 -0400, you wrote:

        >Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
        >to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
        >company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
        >access to my computer that I never even knew went on.
        >
        >Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
        >computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
        >You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
        >acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
        >keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
        >permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
        >get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.
        >
        >Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
        >--
        >Manfred
        >

        >Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

        WHAT?? Did someone pay the ransom?

        If not - then please tell me how Manfreds letter (cited in full above)
        got here without any adds at all.

        To stay off-topic: PC Viper (www.pcwiper.com) is a good alternative to
        ZoneAlarm (betterr logging of events)

        regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
      • megott@ufl.edu
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
          Ole,

          I don't know how or even if. I never recieved a copy of the message from
          the server. could it be possible that egroups put a program on all our
          computers to include the messages and it is Zonealarm and the fact that
          I got rid of some unknown programs that were accessing the internet that
          caused my message not to have an add on it?

          BTW is Viper also free? The original version of Zonealarm is. I was lead
          there by a link from another page that said zonealarm was the only
          program to compleatly make your computer disappear. It blocks all
          response from all the ports on the computer. Other programs leave some
          "openings" for your ISP to see if you are there and who you are. It is
          not really good netiquet to block that, but supposidly other people use
          this to find your computer and send spam. Also some ISPs will not
          connect you if this is blocked so you have to tell zonealarm to unblock
          it. I'm lucky in that I don't have to unblock it.

          Seems to work for me. ;-)
          --
          Manfred
        • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
            Hi all

            We may have stumbled on a means of fooling the computer at eGroups.
            I am going to send this with this message with an http link in place. If it comes through with advert attached then the answer is to use the scale web site in each and every message.

            >Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
            >
            >If not - then please tell me how Manfreds letter (cited in full above)
            >got here without any adds at all.

            Garth