Re: [z_scale] egroups ads and reply feature

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
      Hello Garth and All Fellow Z-scalers,
      I apologize to everyone for causing such a rucus, but because these
      banners affect (infect?) my computer with screen freezes, I must
      bow out. I cannot afford any avoidable down time in this business
      nor can I tolerate any threats to my computer.

      I suggest that we make up group mailing lists using our browser's
      tools and when we have something in general to say to everyone
      we send our emails that way.

      It was fun while it lasted.

      Regards to All
      Reynard

      "Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO" wrote:

      > At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:
      >
      > ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
      > >
      > >Sorry all.
      > >
      > >How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
      > >
      > >Is this a new egroups thing?
      > >
      > >Humble apologies,
      > >
      > >Glen

    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
        Whoa, hold on there, Raynard! You don't have to quit the group to avoid the
        banners. You have several options when it comes to receiving messages from
        the server.

        I suspect that you are receiving individual emails at the moment. Try
        changing your message option to "web" or to "daily digests" although the
        digest probably have the banners. If you use "web", you can go to the
        Z_Scale message board any time you please. The messages are listed in order
        of their date of posting. You can also check past messages since they are
        archived for easy retrieval.

        Use this link to go directly to the message board. There are no banners in
        the archived messages.

        http://www.egroups.com/messages/z_scale

        Check this out before you decide to leave the group, Raynard. I'd hate to
        see you go.

        Jeffrey MacHan

        >From: Reynard Wellman <micron@...>
        >To: z_scale@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [z_scale] egroups ads and reply feature
        >Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:21:10 -0500
        >
        >Hello Garth and All Fellow Z-scalers,
        >I apologize to everyone for causing such a rucus, but because these
        >banners affect (infect?) my computer with screen freezes, I must
        >bow out. I cannot afford any avoidable down time in this business
        >nor can I tolerate any threats to my computer.
        >
        >I suggest that we make up group mailing lists using our browser's
        >tools and when we have something in general to say to everyone
        >we send our emails that way.
        >
        >It was fun while it lasted.
        >
        >Regards to All
        >Reynard

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Ed Scullin
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
          I for one find the banners to be an annoyance. Thank heavens that I
          don't have the problem that Raynard has IE Screen freezes from the
          banners. My complaint is that I have only a 28.8Khz connection to the
          web. Where I live we cannot get a 56K due to our stupid/cheap telephone
          provider (GTE). I am looking at/thinking about a Cable modem, any
          recommendations? Therefore the banners only slow down my reading of the
          mail. I will not quit the group over something that is just an
          annoyance. (hell, probably some of my posts have annoyed others, if so
          SORRY)
          If people/Jeffery want(s) to take up a collection I would be willing to
          contribute even though I feel it is extortion.
          Ed Scullin
        • jjabour
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
            Ed
            I highly recommend going the cable modem route if it's available to you
            In my area it is less expensive the the modem route and it's great.
            When members point you to their layouts, you can spend more time
            looking at their layouts. You can get more Z inless time so now you
            have more time to work on that layout (and maybe someday we will
            catch up to Jeffery - but I doubt it)
            John

            >I for one find the banners to be an annoyance. Thank heavens that I
            >don't have the problem that Raynard has IE Screen freezes from the
            >banners. My complaint is that I have only a 28.8Khz connection to the
            >web. Where I live we cannot get a 56K due to our stupid/cheap telephone
            >provider (GTE). I am looking at/thinking about a Cable modem, any
            >recommendations? Therefore the banners only slow down my reading of the
            >mail. I will not quit the group over something that is just an
            >annoyance. (hell, probably some of my posts have annoyed others, if so
            >SORRY)
            > If people/Jeffery want(s) to take up a collection I would be willing to
            >contribute even though I feel it is extortion.
            >Ed Scullin

          • A H-Ellary
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
              hello all

              as stated I am an isp I have just created a list that I guarantee
              will not have banners to subscribe to the list send a blank email to
              z-gauge-subscribe@...

              A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

              now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary

            • megott@ufl.edu
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
                to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
                company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
                access to my computer that I never even knew went on.

                Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
                computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
                You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
                acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
                keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
                permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
                get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.

                Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
                --
                Manfred
              • Ole Rosted
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                  On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 06:54:50 -0400, you wrote:

                  >Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
                  >to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
                  >company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
                  >access to my computer that I never even knew went on.
                  >
                  >Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
                  >computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
                  >You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
                  >acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
                  >keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
                  >permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
                  >get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.
                  >
                  >Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
                  >--
                  >Manfred
                  >

                  >Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

                  WHAT?? Did someone pay the ransom?

                  If not - then please tell me how Manfreds letter (cited in full above)
                  got here without any adds at all.

                  To stay off-topic: PC Viper (www.pcwiper.com) is a good alternative to
                  ZoneAlarm (betterr logging of events)

                  regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
                • megott@ufl.edu
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                    Ole,

                    I don't know how or even if. I never recieved a copy of the message from
                    the server. could it be possible that egroups put a program on all our
                    computers to include the messages and it is Zonealarm and the fact that
                    I got rid of some unknown programs that were accessing the internet that
                    caused my message not to have an add on it?

                    BTW is Viper also free? The original version of Zonealarm is. I was lead
                    there by a link from another page that said zonealarm was the only
                    program to compleatly make your computer disappear. It blocks all
                    response from all the ports on the computer. Other programs leave some
                    "openings" for your ISP to see if you are there and who you are. It is
                    not really good netiquet to block that, but supposidly other people use
                    this to find your computer and send spam. Also some ISPs will not
                    connect you if this is blocked so you have to tell zonealarm to unblock
                    it. I'm lucky in that I don't have to unblock it.

                    Seems to work for me. ;-)
                    --
                    Manfred
                  • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                      Hi all

                      We may have stumbled on a means of fooling the computer at eGroups.
                      I am going to send this with this message with an http link in place. If it comes through with advert attached then the answer is to use the scale web site in each and every message.