Re: [z_scale] HTML banner ads

  • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
      At 07:39 AM 09/04/2000 +0100, A H-Ellary" <ahellary@... wrote:

      i did not send advertising
      that is egroups put it in all the lists mail

      You are unwittingly sending the banner ads by replying to the mail and not editing the incoming banner ad out of the e-mail and not sending text only e-mail. IF you can colour your text and do other fancy things with the text in your e-mail then you are sending HTML and not plain text ASCII  code.

      The HTML banner ads look like this at the top of the e-mail in HTML type e-mail.

      My Groups     |  z scale main page   |  start a new group!
      the text will be underlined and in colour and this is HTML Code that calls up the banner style ad. This is the result.

      My Groups | z_scale Main Page | Start a new group!

      In text mode the result looks like this
      ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
      and now you can see the hyper link that created the banner on your page but at least in text mode you do not see the banner.

      If you edit this stuff out and you set your e-mail preferences to text only at e-groups then the banner add that you see is the text one from e-groups something like this.

      GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
      Apply NOW!
      http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/14/_/487547/_/968071455/

      E-groups is smart enough to know when you reply and include the banner ad not to add a second one to your reply whether in text mode or HTML mode.

      The mail programs in Netscape and Explorer's Outlook Express may not enable you to readily shut off the HTML in you replies when replying to HTML mail but if you set the preferences in e-groups to text only this will go along way to cutting the problem down to size.

      My apologies for the banwidth to those who know this but obviously there are many among us how do not.

      Garth
    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
        Hello Garth and All Fellow Z-scalers,
        I apologize to everyone for causing such a rucus, but because these
        banners affect (infect?) my computer with screen freezes, I must
        bow out. I cannot afford any avoidable down time in this business
        nor can I tolerate any threats to my computer.

        I suggest that we make up group mailing lists using our browser's
        tools and when we have something in general to say to everyone
        we send our emails that way.

        It was fun while it lasted.

        Regards to All
        Reynard

        "Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO" wrote:

        > At 07:53 PM 09/03/2000 +0100, you wrote:
        >
        > ><http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>My Groups | <http://www.egroups.com/group/z_scale>z_scale Main Page | <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/2/_/560875/_/968007430/>Start a new group!
        > >
        > >Sorry all.
        > >
        > >How can I turn these things off? They have not appeared before.
        > >
        > >Is this a new egroups thing?
        > >
        > >Humble apologies,
        > >
        > >Glen

      • Jeffrey MacHan
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
          Whoa, hold on there, Raynard! You don't have to quit the group to avoid the
          banners. You have several options when it comes to receiving messages from
          the server.

          I suspect that you are receiving individual emails at the moment. Try
          changing your message option to "web" or to "daily digests" although the
          digest probably have the banners. If you use "web", you can go to the
          Z_Scale message board any time you please. The messages are listed in order
          of their date of posting. You can also check past messages since they are
          archived for easy retrieval.

          Use this link to go directly to the message board. There are no banners in
          the archived messages.

          http://www.egroups.com/messages/z_scale

          Check this out before you decide to leave the group, Raynard. I'd hate to
          see you go.

          Jeffrey MacHan

          >From: Reynard Wellman <micron@...>
          >To: z_scale@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [z_scale] egroups ads and reply feature
          >Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:21:10 -0500
          >
          >Hello Garth and All Fellow Z-scalers,
          >I apologize to everyone for causing such a rucus, but because these
          >banners affect (infect?) my computer with screen freezes, I must
          >bow out. I cannot afford any avoidable down time in this business
          >nor can I tolerate any threats to my computer.
          >
          >I suggest that we make up group mailing lists using our browser's
          >tools and when we have something in general to say to everyone
          >we send our emails that way.
          >
          >It was fun while it lasted.
          >
          >Regards to All
          >Reynard

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • Ed Scullin
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
            I for one find the banners to be an annoyance. Thank heavens that I
            don't have the problem that Raynard has IE Screen freezes from the
            banners. My complaint is that I have only a 28.8Khz connection to the
            web. Where I live we cannot get a 56K due to our stupid/cheap telephone
            provider (GTE). I am looking at/thinking about a Cable modem, any
            recommendations? Therefore the banners only slow down my reading of the
            mail. I will not quit the group over something that is just an
            annoyance. (hell, probably some of my posts have annoyed others, if so
            SORRY)
            If people/Jeffery want(s) to take up a collection I would be willing to
            contribute even though I feel it is extortion.
            Ed Scullin
          • jjabour
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
              Ed
              I highly recommend going the cable modem route if it's available to you
              In my area it is less expensive the the modem route and it's great.
              When members point you to their layouts, you can spend more time
              looking at their layouts. You can get more Z inless time so now you
              have more time to work on that layout (and maybe someday we will
              catch up to Jeffery - but I doubt it)
              John

              >I for one find the banners to be an annoyance. Thank heavens that I
              >don't have the problem that Raynard has IE Screen freezes from the
              >banners. My complaint is that I have only a 28.8Khz connection to the
              >web. Where I live we cannot get a 56K due to our stupid/cheap telephone
              >provider (GTE). I am looking at/thinking about a Cable modem, any
              >recommendations? Therefore the banners only slow down my reading of the
              >mail. I will not quit the group over something that is just an
              >annoyance. (hell, probably some of my posts have annoyed others, if so
              >SORRY)
              > If people/Jeffery want(s) to take up a collection I would be willing to
              >contribute even though I feel it is extortion.
              >Ed Scullin

            • A H-Ellary
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 4, 2000
                hello all

                as stated I am an isp I have just created a list that I guarantee
                will not have banners to subscribe to the list send a blank email to
                z-gauge-subscribe@...

                A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

                now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary

              • megott@ufl.edu
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                  Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
                  to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
                  company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
                  access to my computer that I never even knew went on.

                  Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
                  computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
                  You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
                  acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
                  keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
                  permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
                  get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.

                  Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
                  --
                  Manfred
                • Ole Rosted
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                    On Tue, 05 Sep 2000 06:54:50 -0400, you wrote:

                    >Ed, and everyone else. I know this is not about Z but it may be of use
                    >to everyone, since we all use computers. I am not a part of this
                    >company, but I have found that this little program has stopped a lot of
                    >access to my computer that I never even knew went on.
                    >
                    >Please be aware that it is very easy for someone to get into your
                    >computer when on a cable modem system. It is just like a large network.
                    >You might be interested in getting a little program named Zonealarm that
                    >acts as a personal firewall to keep people out of your computer. It also
                    >keeps programs on your computer from accessing the internet without your
                    >permission. I found three programs on my computer that were trying to
                    >get to the internet. I don't know what they were but I got rid of them.
                    >
                    >Go to http://www.zonelabs.com
                    >--
                    >Manfred
                    >

                    >Z: model railroading on a smaller scale.

                    WHAT?? Did someone pay the ransom?

                    If not - then please tell me how Manfreds letter (cited in full above)
                    got here without any adds at all.

                    To stay off-topic: PC Viper (www.pcwiper.com) is a good alternative to
                    ZoneAlarm (betterr logging of events)

                    regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
                  • megott@ufl.edu
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                      Ole,

                      I don't know how or even if. I never recieved a copy of the message from
                      the server. could it be possible that egroups put a program on all our
                      computers to include the messages and it is Zonealarm and the fact that
                      I got rid of some unknown programs that were accessing the internet that
                      caused my message not to have an add on it?

                      BTW is Viper also free? The original version of Zonealarm is. I was lead
                      there by a link from another page that said zonealarm was the only
                      program to compleatly make your computer disappear. It blocks all
                      response from all the ports on the computer. Other programs leave some
                      "openings" for your ISP to see if you are there and who you are. It is
                      not really good netiquet to block that, but supposidly other people use
                      this to find your computer and send spam. Also some ISPs will not
                      connect you if this is blocked so you have to tell zonealarm to unblock
                      it. I'm lucky in that I don't have to unblock it.

                      Seems to work for me. ;-)
                      --
                      Manfred
                    • Garth A. Hamilton - VE3HO
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 5, 2000
                        Hi all

                        We may have stumbled on a means of fooling the computer at eGroups.
                        I am going to send this with this message with an http link in place. If it comes through with advert attached then the answer is to use the scale web site in each and every message.